Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

We now have to watch there is nothing near the crate, as she loves to pull things through it and spend the night eating them

:D What a clever little girl. I'm so pleased for you that her sleeping is getting better! And I cannot get over how tiny she is!! Absolutely adorable. Especially that first photo. It's lovely when they finally start sitting quietly for their dinner, isn't it? I always feel so proud when he sits there, not moving til I give the word.

Maggie is very cute! I just want to give her a squish, she looks so cuddly!

We got a letter yesterday from the Canine Control Council (I'm assuming our breeder has just registered the litter) that contained a puppy survey about breeder satisfaction and related things. Filled it out, popped it in the envelope and onto the desk. It slipped off the desk and I ignored it for a minute or two - next thing I know......the bloody puppy has chewed up the Puppy Survey!! :p Am going to stickytape it back together and still send it off - hopefully they'll enjoy it :cheer:

I've had an awful day with his biting. I've taken to letting him roam around downstairs with me if I'm using the computer in the bedroom (normally he nods off after 30 minutes or so) and the little rat has spent this afternoon trying to tear the bed apart. Aaaargh. He's still chewing people. He's jumping up to snatch things of desks and counters. I was gladwrapping bundles of soup bones and chicken necks to freeze and the cheeky bugger manage to get a grip on the bag of chicken necks and tried to pull it off. Going insane. Not a good day at all.

Going to meet my potential new black labrador puppy tommorow morning! SO EXCITED OMG :D!!!!

If we (the breeder, mum and I) all agree that he is the right dog for us we will be bringing him home tomorrow.

I don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight! :thumbsup:

He is another Black labrador from Guide dog lines, same as my current boy Rover.

Potential name is Riddick :rofl:

*bounces up and down*

FLASHMONTESLITTER1812097301.jpg

FLASHMONTESLITTER1812096891.jpg

Lauren ~ Glad the feeding is going better, they say patience is a virtue.....the person who said that lied :rofl:

Niques ~ Yes she is tiny :D and clever....in a devilish sort of way :D I think she lulls me into a relaxed mood then does something naughty which you can get mad at her for.....very clever indeed :crazy: Ouch about the biting....what about putting something on your hands that the dog doesn't like ie: Tabasco sauce and so when he bites he'll get a horrible taste instead....you'll have to work out something he dislikes....as some dogs actually like YUK tastes ;)

Lovemesideways ~ OMG Riddick is gorgeous, I love his name too :vomit: How old is he? I hope you get to bring him home....how exciting ;)

Zoe had a 30 minute cry....well it was more of a few seconds here and there, but after 30 minutes it stopped....I can't believe I am down to clock watching. It was my turn to wake up for Zoe..... 5am :laugh: :D ;) So I got up, made a cuppa wrapped a blanket round me, put the heater on and the TV, grabbed Zoe and she drifted off straight the way :wave: whereas I spent the morning dozing and waking every time she changed positions, plus I got to watch the sun come up :shrug:

Zoe did Pug zoomies this morning all you can see is this lightening fast thing run either from room to room or round and round the dinning table, the going round and round kinda makes you feel sick and I have to stop her...... :D But when she puts her ears back and tail straight and runs you know what she is going to do. Shadow does this too but she jumps from furniture to floor etc, this morning she did it and she misjudged the lounge and fell right over the other side. She had her sleeping bag on top of her and she is sitting there looking around trying to reason out what went wrong. Zoe went up to her and started licking her to see if she was ok. Shadow then jumped up on the lounge to show everyone she is not that embarrassed and it is something she meant to do ;)

BF

Lauren Golden - This is our first week leaving Costa at home. Last week we did small test runs for short periods. This week when we leave I give him a brisket bone, a kong filled with kibble, a huge ice block with dog treats frozen into it. This seem to keep him busy for awhile. However I went home in my lunch break and found he had dug a big hole, knocked my pot plant over and filled his pool with dirt. :thumbsup:

On a positive I would prefer him doing this than crying at the door. :laugh:

post-31873-1271222661_thumb.jpg

post-31873-1271222920_thumb.jpg

Edited by Costa's Mum

Hello puppy people,

I'm waiting for a puppy too. I've a Brittany puppy on order, due to be born about 2 May. Hopefully there'll be enough to go around and I'll get a puppy out of this litter. I'm a first time Brittany owner, but have had many puppies and dogs before, having used dogs at work for a few years (cattle working collies and kelpies mostly). Switching to pet mode will be a new one on us, and reading the threads on here, many of the pets are incredibly pampered - it seems like another world! I still see dogs as dogs, loved members of the family, but dogs, not furry four legged people. I think dogs are happy to be dogs, to serve, to have a leader, to behave as animals do. So I've a bit of a learning curve ahead of me with this whole pet thing.

I'm trying not to waste time on the internet, as I've been haunting dol for a while trying to relieve my frustrations (that doesn't sound quite right somehow). But, thought I'd just say high to you all. I'm jealous of those who already have their puppy. I'll try to only check the thread once a day, but I'm a little addicted right now so perhaps it will be once an hour....

REALLY must go and do something constructive. Can't wait till I finally get my pup. Perhaps I should have the internet disconnected until then!

bye!

lovemesideways ~ Did you end up getting the puppy?

Costa's Mum ~ Love the pics! He looks proud of his muddy pool creation!

BF ~ Zoe is so cute and sounds like she is a character. Keep the updates coming! (same goes for the rest of you)

mumof3 ~ I hope that you get a puppy from this next litter. Waiting for that phone call when the pups are due is so hard! Hang in there.

I'm also thinking that i might need to disconnect the internet to cure my DOL addiction!

Hi mumof3, I just love Brittanies and they were on our shortlist when we got our new puppy. We ended up with an Australian Shepherd instead! Do you plan on doing any kind of work or dog sport with your new pup?

I think you'll find that even though people on this forum love their dogs, most of us don't treat them like four legged people at all :provoke: Dogs being dogs is when they're happiest, but that doesn't mean they don't like snuggling on the couch too :) (For the record, ours aren't allowed on the couch, but I am tempted sometimes :cool:)

Riddick is officially MINE ;)!!!!!!

He's Sooooo beautiful, came home today.

Rover thinks hes super fantastic and Riddick has been trailing him ever since they first met :D They're in love :D . Rover is going to be the cool older brother for sure

Photos tomorrow <3

SO happy

:):provoke: :cool:

Very cute Costa's Mum!

We just bought Maggie a clam shell today, just need to buy some sand now. Though I can imagine that the sand won't stay in it for too long!!

Maggie is not too interested in food related distractions - I've filled up her Kong with many different things, Vegimite, Peanut Butter, kibble, liver treats, canned food?!? She'll play with it until we shut the door on her. Might head to the Supermarket tomorrow to get some bones for her.... does anyone recommend any long lasting yummy bones?!

What a prissy little princess I have!!! :)

Hi All,

Lovemesideways: Riddick is just gorgeous. How old is he? I would love a sister for Jangels just like Riddick later on. Jusy need to convince my husband!!

Niques: I sympathise fully with the biting. It drives you nuts. We tried everything from ignoring him to soft smacking after having cuts all over us. One day last week I had had enough and got serious as we have 3 small grandchildren. Every single time he nipped he got a soft smack and I walked away from him. He must of got about 20 smacks that day but I got through to him. Now I just have to say Jangels firmly and loudly when he starts and he usually stops.

Blue Fairy & everyone else : I have been researching pet insurance too. Our breeder had 6 weeks free puppy insurance for Jangels with Petplan which has expired this week. www.petplan.com.au All the companies seem so far to be similar in price and so are their policies. After looking at their website, I rang Petplan yesterday. They claim to be the only pet insurance company in Australia that will pay your vet direct if you have a good enough relationship with your vet & can organise a 30 day or so account. Apparently all other companies reimburse you for the claim after you have paid your vet minus the excess. That would be invaluable if a serious situation arose and you didn't have access to thousands of dollars. I haven't decided yet who I will take the policy out for Jangels with but Petplan is looking interesting. I also want a policy that would reimburse us for the cost of purchasing Jangels if heaven forbid anything happened to him.

Laurengolden: Re Raw Diet: We have fed our Labrador Jangels completely raw food since the day we picked him up, 7 weeks ago, except for dry biscuits as treats for training purposes. Our breeder suggested this as that is how she feeds her 5 Labradors and has excellent results. She suggested that I read 2 of the 3 Dr Ian Billinghursts ( a practising vet from Bathurst NSW) books on feeding raw food. The books were very easy to read and understand & such an eye opener.

But in short all I do is go to the markets and spend about $10 or so on over ripe vegies and fruit and then get out our 30 year old food processor from when the kids were babies, and blend it all up. I make enough for about 3 weeks and freeze it in 2 litre icecream containers. I mainly use spinach, sweet potato, apples, bananas, carrots, broccoli, mangoes or whatever is in season to which I add egg yolk and the shell, garlic, kelp, flaxseed oil etc. and then mix in & alternate between chopped up chicken necks, sardines, chicken livers etc. Very easy & more work and you have to be organised but well worth the effort in my opinion and amoungst the many benifits it is easier to control a Labrador's weight, very clean teeth, no doggy breath and beautiful healthy soft coat. And his no 2's are so easy to pick up. And the big plus is it works out much less expensive then commercial food.

My vet says you should be able to kick a dogs no 2's ! If you want anymore info don't hessisate to ask. (I'm only a newbie at the raw feeding but I have got right into it!). I hope this has helped.

Niques ~ Pet Plan must have changed their rules, as they weren't always like that. A lot of people had a lot of problems getting the money out of them after making a claim. I think its in the General Section of DOL, you'll have to search for it. Someone asked about Pet Insurance, and PetPlan was one of the worse.....though paying the vet direct would be heaps easier than paying it up front. Its a mine field out there trying to do whats right for you and your dog.

Lovemesideways ~ That is fantastic news. I can't wait to see more pics of him. Congratulations.

Costasmum ~ Love the pictures of Costa :laugh: its kinda too funny to get mad at him :rofl:

Mumof3 ~ Awww can't wait until you get your pup, lots of pictures ok? As for the pampering, I have seen dogs treated like people, and not for one minute would I do that....like with clothes, dress up costumes etc.....coats yes and Pugs feel the cold (especially single coated ones like Zoe) and maybe a cool coat for hot days, but thats a must not a pampering thing. As for being on the lounge....yep, she is a small dog, I didn't allow my Aussie Bulldog, Rotti, GSD, etc to lay on the lounge, they were all too big. Zoe is still a dog and gets treated like one, she may have more toys than most dogs :p but she's still a dog first.

Magstar ~ Thank you :laugh:

Wuffles ~ :) I agree, it makes it too hard to have big dogs on the lounge....because you end up sitting on the floor :mad thats why little dogs are ideal :)

Lauren ~ The best meat bones to get are Cow Leg Bones, I get the butcher to cut them down the middle (from short end to short end) you don't have to but I always did. You can also just buy off cuts from Coles or Woolworths as they have them in the Pet section of the fridge.

I went bed early last night and left OH to put Zoe to bed :) it was so nice to get some extra sleep :mad Today I have to wash all her bedding.....at least it gets regularly cleaned.

BF

Zoe had a 30 minute cry....well it was more of a few seconds here and there, but after 30 minutes it stopped....I can't believe I am down to clock watching. It was my turn to wake up for Zoe..... 5am :cry::confused::eek: So I got up, made a cuppa wrapped a blanket round me, put the heater on and the TV, grabbed Zoe and she drifted off straight the way :rofl: whereas I spent the morning dozing and waking every time she changed positions, plus I got to watch the sun come up :cheer:

BF

oh does this sound familiar or what! My little croc been here almost 4 weeks and have only had one sleep in . and that was till 9, as she was down the hall . it felt so weird im use to getting up about 6 now and watching bewitched, Jeanie then Sabrina lol. so clear in my head. :laugh:

although this morning it was 4:00! we usuallyy go back to bed if she wants a wee but i channel surfed wanted to watch the sun rise from behind the mountains :thumbsup:

Zoe had a 30 minute cry....well it was more of a few seconds here and there, but after 30 minutes it stopped....I can't believe I am down to clock watching. It was my turn to wake up for Zoe..... 5am :cry::confused::eek: So I got up, made a cuppa wrapped a blanket round me, put the heater on and the TV, grabbed Zoe and she drifted off straight the way :rofl: whereas I spent the morning dozing and waking every time she changed positions, plus I got to watch the sun come up :cheer:

BF

oh does this sound familiar or what! My little croc been here almost 4 weeks and have only had one sleep in . and that was till 9, as she was down the hall . it felt so weird im use to getting up about 6 now and watching bewitched, Jeanie then Sabrina lol. so clear in my head. :laugh:

although this morning it was 4:00! we usuallyy go back to bed if she wants a wee but i channel surfed wanted to watch the sun rise from behind the mountains :thumbsup:

You don't have kids do you?! I think it is so funny how similar this forum is to a group of expectant and new mothers.

I've got three kids. My youngest is not sleeping through the night yet, at 10 months. And I hopefully have a puppy arriving in about 2 months. Luckily I'm used to not getting any sleep. I think that if no one woke my up, I'd just wake up myself out of habit. I haven't had a sleep in for about 5 1/2 years (unless you count nights where one of the kids wouldn't sleep so they end up sleeping in). No wonder I'm unmotivated and waste time on things like the net!

Good luck with the night shift.

Mumof3 ~ I have had 4 kids, the oldest two are married and have families of their own they are 27 and 24. The youngest two are still at home aged 20 and 13. So yes I have spent a lot years waking up through out the night and early hours :eek: I wonder if there will ever be a day when I can just sleep as long as I want :confused: maybe if I stop buying pups :thumbsup:

Poppyx ~ I just go with the flow now. I figure why fight it :cry:

Lovemesideways ~ Riddick is a big boy for 16 weeks. Glad he has settled in more today.

Zoe had her first taste of a Schmacko today.....she was hesitant at first, until she worked out how to eat it. I got those strips and she has half of one. I love introducing new foods now and again. I know she loves cheese, sardines, and seafood extender... :rofl:

BF

Ava is now 19 weeks old and her latest sleep-in has been until 6am :D It's a good day if we get to 6am before a tantrum is thrown in the crate :) It doesn't bother me too much on work days because I'm up at 6am anyway, but weekends are a pain!

I had the scare of my life tonight. Decided to get some chicken necks for Maggie's tea (her first time trying!) and I was cutting them up, putting them in the bowl, done this a million times for my parents dog and my cats, when all of a sudden, I look down and this one looks a little different... with closer inspection - this one still has its HEAD attached!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I had to get my husband to removed it for me, I felt so ill!!!!!!

Maggie has been pretty good with her sleep ins. Although we have been staying up quite later than normal as we are on holidays. She will go out for her final wee around midnight, and then she wakes up around 7.30, one of us stumbles out of bed, puts her out, shut the door, she pees and poos on the doormat almost straight away, we let her back in, we all stumble back to bed and sleep until at least 9.00! BUT my husband has been very kind lately, the last two mornings he has stayed up with Maggie and let me sleep in, AND even brought me breakfast in bed!! I think he's a keeper!

BUT back to work for us next week (we are both teachers!). Not keen at all :( and I don't think Maggie will be either - she cries for half an hour to an hour when we put her out on her own, then she falls asleep probably from the exhaustion of it! Oh well, we bought her a sandpit today and some big bones, so maybe that might help!

Lauren, that's a bit of a shock! I picked up some chicken necks the other day, just to see how he'd go with them. Still trying to work out why some are so tiny and others are enormous :( Anyway, as expected, he just wolfs them down so he'll be getting no more after this bag. Even chicken wings only take a couple of minutes these days.

Riddick is such a cutie! Very cool name, as well.

I really must get my butt into gear re: James' sleeping habits. He's still in his pen, in the garage. Every night I consider leaving him out in the rumpus room outside my door, but the competition between potential hassle and my sleep constantly keeps coming out in favour of the latter :( I just don't want to have to be listening to him jumping about, weeing and potentially climbing stairs after 4am - I want more sleep :( I'm sure he's warm enough in the garage, but I'd really feel better letting him have more freedom. I'd put him in bed with me, but anytime he's on a bed or couch he always looks perilously close to falling off. And I've little doubt that he would fall off. This weekend. I will put him in the rumpus this weekend - you lot have to hold me to it!

I'm with you, Wuffles. A 6am wakeup is a good day! He didn't need to go to the toilet until about quarter to 6 this morning. Normally it's 4:30/5ish and he'll have a short nap afterwards before he starts his barking routine. I crossed my fingers as I put him back in this morning and ended up getting to sleep until 6:15 :D I was very pleased.