Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

Guest belgian.blue
BB, he's gorgeous! Congrats on the addition! Also, Ivy is beautiful! How are the 2 getting along?

Thanks. They are getting along really well. Didn't think Ivy would accept him so quickly and he defiantly gives Ivy a run around. Just she wait until he's bigger than her and when he doesn't need to sleep so much :)

BB, that second photo is brilliant!

As for tricks, James sits and waits for his food, shakes, rolls over, lies down, spins in a circle, stays and comes (occasionally, for the latter). Also responds to both his name and "handsome puppy" :mad Oh, and leave it. He's getting very good at leaving things, and not just during training.

Currently working on crawling and bowing, but both are going terribly. I should have down crawling before leave it, as when I try to lure him forward whilst he's lying down, he won't go for it as he knows not to snatch at it. Wee bit of a problem. And when I try to make him bow, his hind legs just collapse and he goes splat :D

Have finally instilled a love of water. He's been enjoying paddling in the creek down at the park so I sat down the other day and thought it time to make him confident with the pool. He'll now stand on the highest step in the pool and splash around gleefully. To the point where, the other day I had him outside eating his bone and had to close the sliding door on him so he wouldn't bring it in - eventually I realised things were too quiet! The little beast had escaped from the area I had him in and somehow weaseled his way inside the pool fence, where I found him happily splashing away! ;) Cheeky devil.

He had his first visit to the beach today. Loved it. Had a lovely play with a gorgeous brown border collie. And the salt water has oddly made his fur incredibly soft. He's also mastered being calm in the car - 1.5 hour drive each way and none of the freakouts he used to have. Except when we had the gall to eat in front of him without sharing :)

He has, however, developed the horrible habit of throwing a tantrum when I go to put his collar on. Rolling about and lying on his back so I can't get it on.

Niques ~ Thats great training :D as for the tantrum at collar time, Zoe used to fidget and squirm when we put her harness on or took it off. Now we make her sit while we take it off or put it on. She only plays up with OH as he has no patience and finds putting the harness on or off awkward so Zoe makes the most of his confusion....little scamp.

OH has put the hallway door back on and is now covering up the hole from the cat door. We think maybe the cat who loves to claw the crap out of the cat flap is waking Zoe up....just a hunch as we have heard her once or twice. So as she hardly uses it now, and my grandson broke it, we might as well take it out and board it up. So we are hoping that doing these two things might stop Zoe from now waking at 3:30-4am, we are all so exhausted from her 30min -an hour crying at night and very early wake ups, she just continues to cry for over an hour before she stops. Even though its the other end of the house, her crying is so loud in a transportable. So hopefully with the hall door closed it might muffle the sound enough that we sleep through it.....I have all my fingers crossed.

BF

Well I shoved an old jumper of mine in the crate with Zoe, and she did one cry and was quiet from 11pm until 4:15am. With the door closed in the hallway you can just hear her enough to wake me but not enough to keep me awake :) then she was quiet until 5am, then she was taken outside. The cat is totally frustrated she can't make a noise in the laundry ;)

Also Zoe got hold of the cat last night behind my chair, I don't know what Zoe did but the cat clawed my arm trying to get away from her as she jumped up onto the chair. The cats ear was wet with dog slobber and her tail looked worse for wear. But the cat still insists on sitting just out of Zoe's reach and flicking her tail at Zoe, Zoe has bitten it several times but still the cat does it.....stoopid cat :o

We went out to dinner last night, we put Zoe in the crate, left the TV on for her and also left the lights on so its not dark when we got home. I get a call from my oldest daughter asking where I am.....I told her, and she said our neighbour had come over to speak to OH, they heard the dog crying, the TV on and the lights on.....they tried ringing but couldn't find our number (we are not listed in the book), so the neighbour calls my daughter and she tries calling her sister, then as a last resort she rings me. I might have to leave messages about where I am going every time I go out.... :eek: what a drama....

Anyway thats my news :)

BF

BF - at least you know if you ever went missing (god forbid) it would be noticed pretty quickly!

Zoe is such a cutie, of course the cat's tail is a toy for her to chew :) This morning I heard a kerfuffle in the hallway and my grumpy old cat's usual warning hissing escalated to growling then some yelps and barking from Saxon. Poor old cat was cornered against the baby gate and Saxon wouldn't leave her alone :) She's too old to jump the gate but she can climb over it, it just takes her a while :o

SP ~ :o yeah I couldn't hide anywhere could I :) Zoe is always bailing up our cat at the baby gate, Shadow is only 4yr old but has never climbed or jumped them, I think she thinks she can't. I only sometimes feel for Shadow, the rest of the time because she teases Zoe all the time I think she gets what she deserves :)

BF

We went and saw our pug puppy on the weekend. He is 5 weeks old so we have a few weeks to wait until we can bring him home. After so much research and having to move house to a place that will allow dogs, it is all finally coming together.

Breeder had him picked out for us and we love him. He is a fawn and is the cutest little guy i have seen (could have taken them all though).

So the count down is on. Pick him up on 16 May.

We also are trying to get the place puppy proofed. We have been through and lifted all cords for the tv and stereo off the ground etc. We will make sure that everything is off the floor so little teeth arent tempted to chew. We have got some mesh for the banister across the top of the stairs so that he cant put his head through the rails. We are getting a baby gate for the top of the stairs this weekend.

Any other suggestions for puppy proofing?

We are meant to be going to see the breeder and puppies this coming weekend and find out which pup will be ours. I haven't heard from the breeder about what time or any details yet so I'm starting to freak out! I guess I'm just paranoid that we've been forgotten or something lol. I just can't wait to go see our little guy! It still doesn't feel real that we'll have puppy in less than 4 weeks.

Nushie - Sounds exciting. More pictures please! Get some eucalyptus oil spray as dogs hates the smell. It will be very useful when they chew on something you don't want them to. Oreo chews on my the chair's legs so we spray some and he doesn't bite. Get Kong as well because they got something to chew and won't destroy your stuff. Hope that helps.

BF - Well I think puppies just love things that move. Oreo goes for ANYTHING that moves including his own shadow. He thinks that chasing shadow is fun so he just keeps going for them. Silly boy.

I had Oreo sit down and let me file his nail. But I can only get his front paws done because it was taking too long and he wants to play. But grooming his hair was a brace, he doesn't love it but he doesn't hates it as well.

Nushie - Sounds exciting. More pictures please! Get some eucalyptus oil spray as dogs hates the smell. It will be very useful when they chew on something you don't want them to. Oreo chews on my the chair's legs so we spray some and he doesn't bite. Get Kong as well because they got something to chew and won't destroy your stuff. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice, i will definately invest in some eucalyptus oil then. I have got 2 puppy kongs already and will be going shopping this weekend to get a few other things like leads, bowls etc.

Unfortunately i got caught up playing with my soon to be baby and chatting to the breeder that i forgot to take some photos. I have already been scolded from a friend at work telling me that i am going to make a horrible mum if i cant even remember to take photos :mad

But not to worry, there will be an abundance of photos once he comes home.

Nushie ~ This is going to sound silly, but lay down on the floor on your belly and look around the room at that level (pugs are tiny when you get them) now look at everything from their level and see if there is anything you can get into, onto, around, or bite. This is how I puppy proofed the place for Zoe. I also found Zoe couldn't climb or jump up on the lounge, and we didn't mind her being there, so we bought the pet steps from Deals Direct, they are only plastic with an artificial lambswool cover, but they are great for Zoe to climb up and down. When we are eating or don't want her on the lounge we push it away into the middle of the room. She will climb it anyway and stands there hoping someone will move it back again :laugh: Don't forget a blanket, a teddy (with no eyes of bits that come off) or a Wubba, Zoe loves her fuzzy Wubba.

Well, I have a semi good sleep last night.....I decided to take back control of this situation and be the boss (ok pack leader I mean) :love:

I put her to bed with no water, just her blanket, my jumper and some newspaper. I did everything like I always do....and nothing, no crying or anything......until.... :laugh:

3:45am she cried but only did it for about 10 minutes (ghee 10minutes in the middle of the night in the dark is a long long time) then it was quiet....

4:15am she cried but only did it for about 5 minutes...

5:15am she cried again for about 10 minutes...

I got up at 6:25am. I woke each time she cried but went back to sleep when she did. I thought nope I am not getting up anymore until "I" am ready. I felt like a new person, even though it was broken sleep, it was still longer than I usually sleep, so all is right with the world :laugh:

Oh and guess what I won a competition in Dogs Life, it was the DGG one, I won 1ltr of DGG Shine Shampoo, 1 ltr of DGG Shine Conditioner, a gorgeous black and white striped T-shirt with "Escape Artist" on the back and a Grey and white striped T-shirt with a Purple reflective Dog skull and cross bones on the back. They are adult Pug size :) wow that made my day.....

Plus I put the deposit on my kitchen today, so they will come do one more measure then its 6-8 weeks for the making then they will be putting it in. I have waited 10 years for a new kitchen and I have been trying to get it ordered for the last 2 years. I can't believe the time has come :mad

BF

Nushie and Magstar - it's so exciting when you finally get to meet them (we met our puppy for the first time last weekend - he's five weeks' old today). I'm sure your breeder hasn't forgotten you Magstar but how about a friendly email just to check on what's happening? It's so much fun buying all the "stuff" too. We made an outing out of last weekend and visited a big pet store (and Ikea) and got lots of goodies. I set up the crate on the weekend and it got the seal of approval from our current dog and two cats! I took Blue Fairy's advice and borrowed the Poisonous2Pets book from the library so I could check the garden - I do have a few plants that I'll need to decide what to do with. I must do the "get down to the dog's level" thing and check around - I know there are some cords that will have to be moved. Thanks for the reminder.

BF - I am SURE Zoe will sleep through soon (I've got everything crossed for you!). How exciting to win a competition and cute puggy stuff too. Congrats on the kitchen. You'll feel like a new person. We did a small re-vamp on our kitchen a couple of years ago - what a difference.

I got up at 6:25am. I woke each time she cried but went back to sleep when she did. I thought nope I am not getting up anymore until "I" am ready. I felt like a new person, even though it was broken sleep, it was still longer than I usually sleep, so all is right with the world :hug:

I really feel for you with the crying, Bluefairy! Ava has finally started "sleeping in"! I got to sleep until 7am on Sunday which is the longest sleep in I've had since she came into our lives. Hopefully Zoe will take a leaf out of Ava's book soon!!

BF - I will definately try laying on my belly and having a good look around. Its a great idea. And i have been checking out photos of Zoe. She is adorable!

My main problem now is figuring out a name. Might sound weird but my past dogs have been named after a type of alcohol (i didnt start it - blame my mum) and orginially i was leaning towards Schnapps but i think that might freak some people out if i am calling him in the park. So that one got crossed off. I thought of Bailey but one of my best mate is nicknamed Bayly so that doesnt work. At the moment i am thinking Jager. Which i like but my boyfriend isn't so impressed.

If anyone can think of any decent names for a little boy. Everything that i think of is all a little girly.

My past dogs have been Whisky, Scotch and Jack (as in Jack Daniels).

Suggestions??

:rofl: :rofl: :laugh::mad

Zoe slept from 11pm and woke at 6:20am.....I am gobsmacked, OH and the girls were commenting on it this morning. I thought at first I was just so tired I slept through it all, but nope she did it herself.....how proud am I at the moment :laugh: So the new "take control" me must have rubbed off on Zoe :rofl:

Lily ~ Aren't pups tiny when you first see them.....I kind of expected Zoe to be bigger, I don't know why :laugh: I'm glad the book was useful to you. Its a great book.

Wuffles ~ Ava must have rubbed off I think :)

Nushie ~ Thanks :) Ok boy names with an alcohol theme :p

Vino

Gin

Sam (Sambucca (not sure of the spelling))

Jim (Beam)

Porter (Port)

Cider

Sake (sarky - rice wine)

Ouzo

Rum

Brandy

Clayton

That's all I can think of :rofl:

BF

Nushie ~ Thanks :rofl: Ok boy names with an alcohol theme :mad

Vino

Gin

Sam (Sambucca (not sure of the spelling))

Jim (Beam)

Porter (Port)

Cider

Sake (sarky - rice wine)

Ouzo

Rum

Brandy

Clayton

That's all I can think of :laugh:

BF

I like Cider, doubt the boyfriend will though, he is so hard to please and rejects all my ideas, but cant come up with some of his own. I get home each afternoon and call Jager and then pretend to play with the invisible puppy, in the hopes that he will warm to the name. Dont think it is working. He just laughs at me.

I think I need to do some research and do a field trip to the local Dan Murphy's. Maybe even do some tasting while i am there :rofl:

What about Bundy? Probably not very original but its the best I've got! Otherwise I liked BF's suggestions of Porter or Jim :laugh:

My husband and I had the same problem trying to think of a name. We couldn't agree on anything! I still think in his mind the puppy is going to be called Gomez lol.

Oscar was the only name that we both went "yeah that's OK."