Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

Hi everyone! I'm very excited about getting a gorgeous Staffy pup, although it won't be for a while =( My best mate is breeding her two Staffy's so I'm stoked to be able to bring home a pup that I know comes from two fantastic parents! I can't wait!

Louis has now done two wees. Breeder says the amount of water he's taken is fine. However, he's trying to poo and can't, and there's a little blood on his bum. We are putting him on a bland diet, and if he's not better by lunchtime I'm taking him to the breeder and we're both taking him to the vet.

It seems to be the same thing as last time, which makes us think its the worming treatment which is causing it.

I know this has nothing to do with me, but I feel like I'm doing everything wrong. All he wants to do is sleep on me, and I want to comfort him because he must be so stressed out... But what if I'm spoiling him by holding him too much? :(

A lady on the street told me I should buy a jacket for Tank. Are they really necessary? Or is this just a human issue?

That depends.

Is he shivering from cold? Are you out walking at the time? I wouldn't have thought he'd need one while walking, you want him to be able to maintain his body temperature (dogs don't have sweat glands like we do,they loose heat through their feet and via panting).

If you have a cold house or he sleeps outside he might need one.

I've put coats on my Old Farts, when the nights turn cold (double coated breeds) even when they slept in side, but we did live in a cold area.

I've been seeing heaps of people walking dogs in coats and jumpers lately. And judging by the elaborateness of the outfits....I'm quietly confident it's a largely 'human' thing. These were coated breeds, like Oodley dogs.

I don't object to coats, but surely it would be better AFTER you've walked the dog, not during.

I could be wrong.

Don't fret Melina, I don't think you've given him a bellyache from spoiling him ;)

These things happen, they're just babies and babies get sick, I am sure it's nothing. Sometimes happens with a bit of stress, anything can set little bellies off!

I bought Louis a little plain sweater. I don't like clothes on dogs, but he's so tiny and winter in Canberra is cold. Then I remembered living in North Yorkshire (until 3 months ago!) and it was much colder. He's a Yorkshire Terrier, what was I thinking? I'll be shivering way more than him :laugh:

PS: I'll be posting all my concerns about Louis in the other thread, to keep this one more on-topic.

Edited by Melina Bea

So Louis is back at the breeder's, and everyone's feeling a lot calmer (except for his sister, who's thrilled at having her chew toy back).

Louis is back at the breeder's until he gets better. It was a last minute decision, watching him play with his sister, and seeing the breeder's worried face. Louis is well enough, very lively etc, but because its my first dog I think she'll feel a lot better having him nearby. She didn't want to say it, so I just offered :laugh: His well being and everybody's peace of mind are more important than keeping him all to myself.

Oh my god that poor pussycat! Reminds me of the yearly ordeal of watching my ex try to put Santa hats on our highly uncooperative cats :rofl:

Totally OT. Apologies.

Also ignore my chubby leg.

CYCqZjG.jpg

Good idea to let him recover in peace, sounds like you might enjoy the break too, less a 'baptism by fire'

Edited by Steph M