Eye Ointment Application

Mad about Oscar

Hi - Oscar, our 6 month old Lab puppy, has been diagnosed with an eye infection (came home from a week in the kennel with kennel cough and the eye infection). Can anyone help with tips on hou to apply the ointment 4 times a day without stressing Oscar out (and me!). I don't want to hurt or stress him and end up having to chase him to put the ointment in. Any tips before I start would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance fro any suggestions.

Hi MAO

You poor things ! Sorry to hear that. I am assuming the infection is IN the eye ?

Archie has a little bit of dermatitis to the side of his eye so I don't need to put it in which makes it easier. I just put it on my finger.

I am no expert, however I try to do it when he's tuckered out (ie lying down or asleep and wake him up) --- and it could be worth trying to give him a treat when you put it in. I tell Archie to 'stay' even if he's lying down as he now associates that command with being still so it helps.

Vet probably mentioned, but careful not to let the metal tip of the ointment touch his eye as it will also become infected.

A cotton bud is another option.

Hi MAO

You poor things ! Sorry to hear that. I am assuming the infection is IN the eye ?

Archie has a little bit of dermatitis to the side of his eye so I don't need to put it in which makes it easier. I just put it on my finger.

I am no expert, however I try to do it when he's tuckered out (ie lying down or asleep and wake him up) --- and it could be worth trying to give him a treat when you put it in. I tell Archie to 'stay' even if he's lying down as he now associates that command with being still so it helps.

Vet probably mentioned, but careful not to let the metal tip of the ointment touch his eye as it will also become infected.

A cotton bud is another option.

Thanks Mrs TS - also posted in TCL and Health forums - the infection is in the eye - will definitely use the cotton bud - would probably cause less damage if he moves suddenly too. Not having a very good run of things ATM!!

We've had to use eye ointment a few times with our allergy boy.

Granted he is not a puppy so not so wriggly, but he learned very quickly to run away when he saw us coming, and then to shut his eye as tightly as possible.

The key for us was getting it over and done with as quickly and with as little stress as possible. We did it with one person only as two made him panic. I had everything ready to go - lid off and treat in hand. While he was lying down snoozing or relaxing, I would simply go over, put the ointment in, pop a treat in his mouth, and leave. The whole thing would take about 5 seconds and he barely had time to register what was happening.

Good luck!

Edited by wuffles

it could be worth trying to give him a treat when you put it in.

I've no experience with eye ointment, but have to put ear drops in a tibbie girl (who doesn't like it at all). Treats work to hose down her 'I Don't Want That Stuff in My Ears!', a bit. Because she loves them.

When I come with the medication, I let her see I have treats in the other hand. Bit awkward all thro' the application, but she keeps one eye on the treats. That distracts her just enough from full- blown rebellion.

Good advice wuffles :laugh: I will remember that for next time (hopefully never!)

We've had to use eye ointment a few times with our allergy boy.

Granted he is not a puppy so not so wriggly, but he learned very quickly to run away when he saw us coming, and then to shut his eye as tightly as possible.

The key for us was getting it over and done with as quickly and with as little stress as possible. We did it with one person only as two made him panic. I had everything ready to go - lid off and treat in hand. While he was lying down snoozing or relaxing, I would simply go over, put the ointment in, pop a treat in his mouth, and leave. The whole thing would take about 5 seconds and he barely had time to register what was happening.

Good luck!

I would NOT use a cotton bud.. just squirt some in. You don't want anything but ointment to touch the eye.

Agreed.

IMO get it over and done with as quickly as possible - the less stuffing about the better. If you get some ointment on his fur or outside the eye don't fret but aim for the inside of the lower eyelid. Use one hand to pull the eyelid slightly down and the other to quickly apply the ointment. If you're clever you can do it all with one hand.

You could try a treat to distract him but with eyes I have found it impossible to get them to stay still for the ointment if there is a treat around. Treat him directly afterwards instead perhaps? Good luck.

Just put the first lot in while he was snoozing under my chair - didn't really care - just looked at me as if to say What ARE you doing?? had his treat and has gone back to sleep - must be careful not to squeeze the tube too hard though or with 4 doses a day we could be finished it all by tomorrow night!!

I don't know if this will work with eye ointment, but when I apply eyedrops to the dog, I seat the dog in front of me, facing away from me.

Then I lean over so I can see the dogs eyes, maybe tilt the dogs head back a bit and apply the ointment.

That way the dog is not freaked out with you coming at them, with a strange thing in your hands, and putting something towards their eyes.

I don't know if this will work with eye ointment, but when I apply eyedrops to the dog, I seat the dog in front of me, facing away from me.

Then I lean over so I can see the dogs eyes, maybe tilt the dogs head back a bit and apply the ointment.

That way the dog is not freaked out with you coming at them, with a strange thing in your hands, and putting something towards their eyes.

one of my girls has dry eye & we have to administer ointment 3 x a day ,i keep the tube in a special tin ,as soon as I lift the tin, she comes running & just sits & waits :laugh: knowing of corse she will get a treat after . :laugh:

dont mke a big deal of it or yr dog wil as well :laugh:

I would NOT use a cotton bud.. just squirt some in. You don't want anything but ointment to touch the eye.

Agreed.

IMO get it over and done with as quickly as possible - the less stuffing about the better. If you get some ointment on his fur or outside the eye don't fret but aim for the inside of the lower eyelid. Use one hand to pull the eyelid slightly down and the other to quickly apply the ointment. If you're clever you can do it all with one hand.

So agree with this ,people make it harder on them selves,Put him on a lead ,take control & whack it in,easy peasy.

Our boy has scratched his eye and needs to have ointment, granted he's big and lazy so doesn't run away, but we have one person give him treats while the other comes from behind (so he can't see) and quickly pops it in!

It's a work in progress but we manage to get a bit in each time :)

Had to put ointment into the family dog many years ago. He had that and his female hormone - growled at me over the tablets so when he did the lay down thing I just put the ointment in as the vet explained to. Was easy as (he refused the tablets til later so got the eye stuff instead as he wasnt getting away with growling no matter what sort of senile separation anxiety he had - I lived interstate parents had gone away and I picked him up from the kennel he wasnt moving from their room unless he had to and months before had started the senile separation anxiety even if I was there. Very freaky to see when the eyes glaze over and they wont respond to you)

Kneel down and place the puppy between your knees, facing away from you. Talking gently to him in a calm but happy voice, place your left arm hand around his chest , hooking your thumb in his collar and holding his head still with the rest of your hand. Or use "whatever" method of your own to gently immobilise his head.

Still with the pup between your knees, facing away, left thumb hooked through collar to steady head, bring your fingers up his face and gently pull down the lower eyelid, exposing the inner mucosa. Talk to him, hold him steady, (Good boy staaaayyyyy) and with the uncapped tube of eye ointment in your right hand, squeeze a line of ointment along the inside of the lower lid, which you are holding out from the eyeball thus making a convenient little channel.

Let go and praise! Good boy, treat!

Then calm the puppy and start again and do the other eye. After a couple of applications he will know what to expect and you won't need to break it up into two stages. Just immobilise head and do both eyes the same way.

Be very careful to just squeeze the ointment out so that it is all that touches any part of the eye, be careful not to touch the eye with the nozzle. Ideally, squeeze from outside of eye towards inside.

Also, if wiping the eye to cleanse any debris away, always wipe from outside edge to centre, this way you wipe germs and debris towards the natural drainage point of the eye and also, do not sweep ditto back into the eye.

Or, disregard all the former and just ask your Vet to demonstrate. What takes 3 mins to explain here takes 3 seconds to learn if someone like your Vet shows you. :p (I'm surprised you weren't shown at the time of the consultation.)

Hope this is helpful. Works for us. :)

Or, disregard all the former and just ask your Vet to demonstrate. What takes 3 mins to explain here takes 3 seconds to learn if someone like your Vet shows you. :welcome: (I'm surprised you weren't shown at the time of the consultation.)

:p Our dog sat perfectly still for the vet while she put in the ointment. When we tried it at home it was a completely different matter...

Now try it with a cat!!!!! :mad:(:) :p :rofl: :rofl:

Or, disregard all the former and just ask your Vet to demonstrate. What takes 3 mins to explain here takes 3 seconds to learn if someone like your Vet shows you. :welcome: (I'm surprised you weren't shown at the time of the consultation.)

:p Our dog sat perfectly still for the vet while she put in the ointment. When we tried it at home it was a completely different matter...