I Need To Have A Rant

Loraine

My neighbour got a young bitch (about 2.5 months old) off Petrescue just before Christmas. The dog is intact, no promises made to have her desexed, no home check done. The dog had come from Roeburne WA.

At the end of last week my neighbour took delivery of a deaf red heeler cattle dog (3 months old) from the same rescue agency - he is not neutered, is full of fleas. The woman who delivered him told my neighbour that if she wanted to, she could breed from him :)

I thought rescue had strict rules about desexing, home checking, before rehoming.

I am appalled - my neightbour is great with dogs, but does not really like to desex bitches (I am working on that), the male will be desexed but his balls have not yet dropped.

Both of these dogs were on Petrescue and I have sent in a complaint, but that is not stopping the rescue group from doing what I consider to be the wrong thing!

Rant over, feel better now I've got that off my chest :)

Lorraine, You are correct, if using the Petrescue site, organisations MUST have dogs desexed. If you have reported this to the administrator of Petrescue I am sure they will investigate.

Just remember that Petrescue is simply a site that allows a myriad of rescue organisations Aust wide to advertise, they do NOT rescue or rehome the dogs themselves.

Perhaps you could also consider writing a formal letter of complaint to the rescue organisation itself, the local member and the local council where the rescue organisation is based.

There are no "rules" as such, because rescue is not regulated. Unfortunately, there are far too many who are more interested in getting as many dogs out the door as possible, and consider the higher numbers saved as justification for cutting corners.

Lorraine, You are correct, if using the Petrescue site, organisations MUST have dogs desexed. If you have reported this to the administrator of Petrescue I am sure they will investigate.

Just remember that Petrescue is simply a site that allows a myriad of rescue organisations Aust wide to advertise, they do NOT rescue or rehome the dogs themselves.

Perhaps you could also consider writing a formal letter of complaint to the rescue organisation itself, the local member and the local council where the rescue organisation is based.

Ams I do know that PR is a ad place for many dog rescue places - hence I sent in a complaint. I am also trying to get hold of the people involved in this rescue to voice my disgust!

Ams I do know that PR is a ad place for many dog rescue places - hence I sent in a complaint. I am also trying to get hold of the people involved in this rescue to voice my disgust!

Good on you for doing something proactive about it.

Good on you for doing something proactive about it.

seconded, :)

That's all you can do Loraine. By rehoming undesexed animals they are breaching the terms of being allowed to advertise on PR, and I'm sure administration will be onto it straight away, as it affects their reputation too.

There are no "rules" as such, because rescue is not regulated. Unfortunately, there are far too many who are more interested in getting as many dogs out the door as possible, and consider the higher numbers saved as justification for cutting corners.

I had a discussion with someone on this exact topic last week. We both knew of dogs that adopted out by a certain rescuer, neither were temp tested and when the dogs had issues crop up this rescuer gave no back-up and reprimanded the adoptees for not wanting to put up with the issues. Disgraceful. :)

It certainly makes it hard for the rescue people who are doing the right thing. :)

I had a discussion with someone on this exact topic last week. We both knew of dogs that adopted out by a certain rescuer, neither were temp tested and when the dogs had issues crop up this rescuer gave no back-up and reprimanded the adoptees for not wanting to put up with the issues. Disgraceful. :)

It certainly makes it hard for the rescue people who are doing the right thing. :thumbsup:

And if the dog hasn't been temp tested, or checked, and it bites the kids, or mauls someone, it gives ALL rescue a bad name, and prevents good rescues finding homes for deserving dogs.

And the "rescue" (in name only) who rehomed to your neighbour is not a rescue at all. It's simply a disgrace. This is the one we know about, how about the dozens we don't know about.

It has been apparent over the years, reading the rescue forum that some "rescuers" ought not to be rescuing at all, and they leave a trail of disaster behind them. Dogs not treated well, unquarantined dogs travelling all over the place spreading nasty viruses, no health checks, no care for the dogs, and no duty of care for the people who are taking the dogs, and less care for the poor fosterers. Sone rescuers, by their own words and actions, only dog brokers or puppy farmers.

Yet if anything is said, those who raised objections are jumped on from high for being unfair, and for "picking" on rescues.

Some "rescues" should be picked out of existence. And fast.

Agree 100% jdavis,.

There are supposedly rules for advertising on Pet Rescue, but then they were trialling advertising pets in pounds who don't desex so I am not sure how committed they are to that rule.

And there are rules for "advertising" in the rescue forum on DOL as well. And if anyone posts about a dog looking for a home who isn't desexed, they are jumped on from a great height and so they should be. Generally, when they realise that a dog must be desexed, they are happy to comply or at least say they will.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, good luck with you "working on" the owner, Loraine.

Edited by Mother Moocher

It certainly makes it hard for the rescue people who are doing the right thing. :thumbsup:

This wouldn't be the same mob who are ringing around to anyone with kennels and asking if they'd take in a DA "Boxer cross", is it?

T.

This particular group covers most of WA it seems. I have seen their manifesto and it states that all dogs are to be temp tested, neutered, vet checked - all people who want to adopt are to be interviewed, homes inspected before a dog is rehomed. THEY DON'T EVEN ABIDE BY THEIR OWN RULES :)

There is a WA rescue that has a few branches - it may be one of the more regional branches that is supplying the dogs undesexed because they can't get a vet in the area to do pups under a certain age.

This has come up before, and that was the upshot... and I'm sure one of the city branches were going to try to help get pups desexed before rehoming, but it comes down to the person running the regional rescue taking up any offer of that nature I suppose...

T.

There is a WA rescue that has a few branches - it may be one of the more regional branches that is supplying the dogs undesexed because they can't get a vet in the area to do pups under a certain age.

This has come up before, and that was the upshot... and I'm sure one of the city branches were going to try to help get pups desexed before rehoming, but it comes down to the person running the regional rescue taking up any offer of that nature I suppose...

T.

I think we are referring to the same group. I last posted before Christmas about the up country group and the Metro group came and inferred that they were not really connected, but that they offered the use of vet services inPerth. This current dog has come from the SouthWest of the state - and the person delivering the un-neutered dog told my freidn that she could breed from him :) I was a member of the group (as a foster carer) until I could not longer agree with their practices.

Wow, Loraine. Good on you for reporting them. The last thing rescue needs is more puppies. i'm kind of shocked that there are pounds around that rehome without desexing... what's the point of doing it at all? :)

I think maybe your "friend" likes to pull your strings Loraine :) ....... the Karratha branch send their dogs down to Perth for their vet work and the money is paid into our account in advance and work to be done confirmed with the vet by us . Feel free to check with the treasurer on 0407980580 as she has just posted out a cheque for $11,000 for last months account to the Ocean Keys Vet (9408 6999 if you would also like to confirm with them )who does the majority of our pups , kittens and bunnies too .

South West ( based in Bunbury around 3 hours from Perth )branch have their own account with this particular vet as he is the only one who will desex pups and kittens at a rescue rate in Perth . Would be suprised if you had read their manifesto as far as I know .....they don't have one yet . Have left a message for one of the volunteers down there to contact regarding the pup . I'll pass on your number so she can call you direct to discuss shall I ?