2010 Challenges - What Would You Like To See

Ashanali

As the topic states, what would you like to see in 2010.

I plan on going over a few of the basics again for people who have just joined. during those challenges I will be encouraging the old hands to shoot on full manual.

However are there any challenges that you might like to see introduced or repeated?

I think the treasure hunt and the alphabet challenges were popular. I am also considering a couple of new 'fun' ones to test people out.

sooo... if you have some ideas, add them here!

:mad

I would like the "movement" one again. I was really too busy last time around and didn't participate at all.

Was thinking about new challenges the other day. What about a colour theme. Let's say you shose green - it could either be of green objects, or any coloured objects but with some green editing. Mmm maybe that's a bit silly...lol

Annie

You could do a month of processing or a month of selective colouring? Though that would require people have some form of software and be sorta confident to use it. You could put a link to Gimp or similar which is free?

The treasure hunt was a lot of fun. :)

Edited by TerraNik

hmmm... processing yes, but I just couldn't bring myself to devote a month to spot colour/selective colour.

I hate spot colour with a passion. It's hard to enjoy a thread that I know a few people who participate in the threads won't even go into. I know that lots of people love spot colour when they first discover it, but it has it's place... in the late 90's/early 00's.

I'll be fair though - if there is a month of processing, I will also include a couple of spot colour techniques in the thread.

I just thought it would be an easy introduction into processing techniques. You're right, a whole month of it is a bit much! :)

Yes but we wouldn't have to post one every day - would we :thumbsup:

It might be nice to have an introduction to some tehniques that we could play with.

We could have a theme - with/without certain techniques?

maybe for processing -> BW and toning. That could easily be run over a month.

(and selective colour because as much as professionals might hate it, most people don't have to deal with it every day and don't mind it, plus it's good practice for masking, getting your eye in, experimenting etc imho :) )

I like that idea, kja... It leaves it open for people to do what they like within the month without feeling too restricted.

We could also do a theme of something random... like just a word that people have to interpret? e.g. "flow" or "freedom" or "lines" or something?

maybe for processing -> BW and toning. That could easily be run over a month.

(and selective colour because as much as professionals might hate it, most people don't have to deal with it every day and don't mind it, plus it's good practice for masking, getting your eye in, experimenting etc imho :) )

I'll be fair though - if there is a month of processing, I will also include a couple of spot colour techniques in the thread

as I said, if there was a month for working on processing, spot colouring techniques would be included.

Yes, it has it's functions as a technique and it's a good introduction to layer masks.

I like that idea, kja... It leaves it open for people to do what they like within the month without feeling too restricted.

We could also do a theme of something random... like just a word that people have to interpret? e.g. "flow" or "freedom" or "lines" or something?

That pretty much what the treasure hunt included. People were encouraged to think outside the square with the topic they had to hunt for. :)

I think I might do the treasure hunt for February again. It's a nice lead in to the more serious stuff.

Shoot to crop. End images are Square, "panoramic" etc. I did a challenge with a couple of friends along these lines and it was amazing how tough it can be but really cool to think about things in a slightly different way. Translated very well to becoming better at composition for standard 4:3 or 3:2 as well.

Shoot to crop. End images are Square, "panoramic" etc. I did a challenge with a couple of friends along these lines and it was amazing how tough it can be but really cool to think about things in a slightly different way. Translated very well to becoming better at composition for standard 4:3 or 3:2 as well.

great idea!

oooh... I like that! *adds it to the list* :dummy:

Guest Kate_Summer

I like the bokeh effect & would love a month based on that, although I'm not sure I can accomplish it with my cheap camera, maybe I could just do 'bokeh' using depth of field while some here maybe able to use those specific 'lenses thingy' sorry I don't know the specific term for them.

I like the bokeh effect & would love a month based on that, although I'm not sure I can accomplish it with my cheap camera, maybe I could just do 'bokeh' using depth of field while some here maybe able to use those specific 'lenses thingy' sorry I don't know the specific term for them.

Ooh I think this is a great idea! I would like to learn more about bokeh.