Ankc Obedience, Rally And Tracking Rules Review

I only had a quick read last week, but from what I read, I like the addition of change of position in CCD and raising the passing score. I also like the addition of a sit in COP for Novice and the extra mandatory exercise, and I like the alternative Open round for those with dogs who can't jump :(

I am not so sure I agree with the adding of the sit to the COP exercise in Novice. Having witnessed a substantial number of open dogs miss a COP sit in the ring (my own included) I believe setting that as a part of Novice raises the bar further than it should be at that level and is honestly just one more thing to go wrong in the ring. I think the way novice is structured as it is is fine and a fair test of a dogs ability without needing to further complicate it. I am also not keen on the adding of any additional off-lead exercises in CCD. The longer the dog is without a lead in the class the more room there is for things to happen.

I do agree with things like separating out the figure 8 from the heelwork and raising the passing score in CCD.

I must have overlooked the part where it suggested off lead parts for CCD. I did read though about them suggesting the removing of the off lead lead up in the recall, as it should only be a test of the dog recalling.

I'm still struggling for my first novice pass here (damn you SFE!!), but I'm all for making it more of a challenge :grouphug: I guess that is why I liked the idea of the sit in the COP for Novice.

CCD passes are handed out left, right and centre when a lot of dogs don't really work at a level deserving of it, mine included. Our CCD title was nothing to get excited about, I don't even think we deserved it as our work was atrocious! I'm all for making the CCD pass score a higher percentage as it gets you better prepared for Novice :) And no, I'm not just saying this cos Ruby is out of CCD, I still have Millie to debut!

Edited by RubyStar

I agree with you about the COP Ness. Lots of dogs get brain faze at the sit even in Open with a verbal and UD without the verbal. I think its a bit tough to ask a Novice dog to sit from a down in a trial setting. Out of interest how many other States have made the proposals public information available to their members?

I am not so sure I agree with the adding of the sit to the COP exercise in Novice. Having witnessed a substantial number of open dogs miss a COP sit in the ring (my own included) I believe setting that as a part of Novice raises the bar further than it should be at that level and is honestly just one more thing to go wrong in the ring. I think the way novice is structured as it is is fine and a fair test of a dogs ability without needing to further complicate it. I am also not keen on the adding of any additional off-lead exercises in CCD. The longer the dog is without a lead in the class the more room there is for things to happen.

I do agree with things like separating out the figure 8 from the heelwork and raising the passing score in CCD.

It's not proposed to remove the jumping in Open, as I understood it, they are proposing introducing and additional Open class.

On Page 38:

PROPOSED ADDITIONAL OPEN CLASS (OPTIONAL)

Rationale:

This is an optional class.

Currently a dog competing in Novice cannot continue to trial if they are unable to

negotiate for whatever reason, the jumps in the next class, consequently many dogs do

not go any further because of this. This class allows for any dog who has qualified at

least to Novice standard, to still trial in a class that does not have any jumping included,

but the dog is still tested in other ways with heelwork, nose work, retrieving, group

exercises etc.

Had a read last night. I really like the idea of a second option in Open class. I would be interested to do that even though we are doing the jumping in the normal Open class, just to teach her some new things and test ourselves out. Utility is a big leap forward. But seek back would be fun to do.

I don't know about some of the changes to CCD. I think (from reading some of the rationales in the document) that in some states believe people are finding it too easy to pass their CCD. I thought the whole idea of CCD was that it would encourage new people into the sport, by not being too hard. Zamba and I actually found it quite hard and failed 7 times before we passed in a trial. For complete newbies like us, making it harder would have really discouraged us. Actually there were times when I felt totally discouraged as it was.

Conversely, the idea of simplifying the recall seems sensible, although from my perspective the return was never a difficult thing to do.

I wont be impressed if the no check chain collars go through. I bought an expensive shiny one for the girls to wear in the ring so that they can have some bling on. Dont use it as a check chain it is really just a pretty silver necklace for them, After all I wear jewellery so why cant they?

Hi Barb :cry: Has Tassie published it to their members? Looks like SA, ACT and NT have been left out too.....or am I wrong (hope so) and I just can't find it on the web sites? If anyone would like to have a say in the proposed new rules please let your State Delegate know in writing (or email) so they can vote on your behalf. If anyone wants the contact email of the WA delegate PM me and I can pass it on.

Out of interest how many other States have made the proposals public information available to their members?

AFAIK - DogsVic and Dogs NSW - the latter have asked for written comments etc. by Feb 15.

Hi Barb :rofl: Has Tassie published it to their members? Looks like SA, ACT and NT have been left out too.....or am I wrong (hope so) and I just can't find it on the web sites? If anyone would like to have a say in the proposed new rules please let your State Delegate know in writing (or email) so they can vote on your behalf. If anyone wants the contact email of the WA delegate PM me and I can pass it on.

Out of interest how many other States have made the proposals public information available to their members?

AFAIK - DogsVic and Dogs NSW - the latter have asked for written comments etc. by Feb 15.

:eek: back at ya :rofl: Just sent you a PM. Nothing from Tas Canine yet - could be in next week's new Gazette.