Another What Sort Of Dog For Me

Guest Pandii

Gundogs and herding breeds are the easiest to train. If Labs and Goldens were so hard to train why are they used as service dogs?

The problem with herding dogs IMO is they constantly need to do something and in my (limited) experience with the smooth collie, they require you to tell them what to do, as opposed to terriers or utility breeds (which I'm more experienced with), which are quick learners but also very able to think for themselves. I've not had a gundog but I am imagining (hoping??) that they are more like the utility/terriers and NOT like herding breeds LOL. I can't handle a dog that needs me to think for it :laugh:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by what you said you wanted in your first post, I would suggest a Labrador.

All smooth coated dogs shed.. often more than their longer coated cousins. Provided you put in the hard work, a Labrador would be a great family pet.

If you were prepared to do some minimal coat maintenance I would suggest you add the Flat Coated Retriever to your list of possibles.

As you are in Vic, Kadnook would be my starting point for Labs. Bushman for Flat Coats. With a retriever you also have the option of doing some gundog work if you feel like it. Don't forget that SA Flatcoat breeder Skyehaven is a DOLer

I think the Utility Gundogs are a step up in energy levels, training and work. If you wanted to go there and do a bit of coat work I think a Brittany would be a good choice - smallest of the utilty gundogs. I'd be starting by talking to Helen but Tobenlee are one of the better known breeders and on the Western side of Melbounne - Ballarat I think.

However, I'd not suggest any of these as outside dogs and they will be a step up in training and stimulation from what you have now.

I agree with Oakway - a Whippet WOULD be a good fit. Recalls are a matter of training, not breed. Whippets are a pretty competitive breed - lots out there but a good one does well.

Edited by poodlefan

Have great fences, and seperate yard areas and enclosures alot of work has been carried out

Am also prepared for any breeder to inspect my home and yard.

there are lots of breeds I like, alot that arent suitable for me

I do like the boxer look, so am looking into them alot more, the lady I spoke to from warrnmabool was lovely and helpful

I do like the Vizzla personality alot too.

There was some lovely helpful people there too.