Another What Sort Of Dog For Me

Guest Pandii

:rofl: Glad your looking into the pointers Pandii, I'm only new to the breed but if you want to know anything feel free to shoot me a PM.

I think your spot on with vizsla's, pointers (either kind), what about wei's!

I tend to agree with viz and pointer, but i the wei doesn't tick the same boxes... they aren't exactly an easy going breed... there are some that are more easy going than others, but for example the girls can be quite full on and aware ALL the time, the males are more laid back, easy going and friendly with people but can be quite challenging with other dogs.

yeah i wasnt too sure about the wei's, I like them but havent had too much to do with them the only ones I have spent time with seemed nice!

They are a lovely breed don't get me wrong (i wouldn't be doing much for the breed if i didn't think that!) but they generally have to be with their owners all the time which is why a lot of people think they are highly strung, cos you can't take one away without it getting concerned... although if they are used to it (atshows and such) they handle it well.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Boxers as a breed but in my experience they can be very boisterous and they do shed, like most short coated breeds, bristly short hairs almost constantly. Like Staffords, they can tend to be juvenile until they are old enough to be senile with no obvious transition. Intelligent but very, very challenging. Excellent show dogs though but from a show point of view, VERY intense competition so maybe not a wise choice for a show newbie in Victoria.

Same with Weis and Viszlas I would imagine.

I just bought my first show dog. Its a long hair wei. Like you I didn't want too much grooming, however I really love the coated breeds. The three I narrowed it down to was Dally (there are a lot of very good dally breeders and dogs in Vic), Aussie Shepherds, and the long hair Wei. I chose the LH Wei for a few reasons, they are a gundog, which I am used to and that is my favourite group, they are coated but require little grooming and finally the size is good for the goldens. We did look at a beagle as well, but crossed them off as there was too much of a size difference between a beagle and the goldens. I crossed off goldens because of the amount of grooming they need, specifically the trimming. Washing/drying/brushing are fine, but trimming around their necks ears and feet I feel I may struggle with. I also wanted a different breed, I love goldens, but wanted to experience another breed as well.

Edited by GoldieGirl

What about a nice quiet layed back Greyhound.

Able to be let off lead :thumbsup: Don't think they are known for that particular trait.

Why not it's just another breed of dog. The ones I've had would all run if let off and come back. :thumbsup:

I just bought my first show dog. Its a long hair wei. Like you I didn't want too much grooming, however I really love the coated breeds. The three I narrowed it down to was Dally (there are a lot of very good dally breeders and dogs in Vic), Aussie Shepherds, and the long hair Wei. I chose the LH Wei for a few reasons, they are a gundog, which I am used to and that is my favourite group, they are coated but require little grooming and finally the size is good for the goldens. We did look at a beagle as well, but crossed them off as there was too much of a size difference between a beagle and the goldens. I crossed off goldens because of the amount of grooming they need, specifically the trimming. Washing/drying/brushing are fine, but trimming around their necks ears and feet I feel I may struggle with. I also wanted a different breed, I love goldens, but wanted to experience another breed as well.

The LH Weis are stunning! Do they shed like a golden?

I think all teh schnauzers have to be stripped for showing which isn't easy to learn I don't think... and there are times of the year you can't show them if they aren't in coat.

It's not easy and it takes quite a while to learn, plus it can be tough on your hands/wrists, and takes quite a bit of time to get the dog's coat looking good. If you time it wrong you can go to big shows either too hairy or too bald! Not an easy breed coat/grooming wise to show.

A golden retriever of course! They dont shed overly much if you groom them every week or so, and even then its not much grooming. They are fabulous family dogs, great with other dogs, love the outdoors, easy to train and not bug barkers.

Curly coat retriever :thumbsup:

I had one when my boys were young and she was brilliant.

She was a bit stubborn so sometimes needed a firm hand but she was intelligent and learned things very quickly.

Sally loved camping as long as it was near water - though sometimes she needed to be leashed to keep her out of the water if anyone was trying to fish :thumbsup: Great recall apart from the water thing.

Lots of energy.

Very wash and wear coat and I can't remember any / much shedding.

The LH Weis are stunning! Do they shed like a golden?

I'm probably not the best person to answer that as my little girl only arrived yesterday, however yes, they do shed, but not as much as a golden, they don't have as much hair, my breeder said they don't usually get a thick full coat for a number of years.

Why would you offend anybody Pandii? Everybody has their own preferences.

I love many breeds but there are some that I wouldn't own if you paid me. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate them, or respect those who DO own them. They just aren't dogs I could see myself waking up to every day.

What about a nice quiet layed back Greyhound.

Able to be let off lead :thumbsup: Don't think they are known for that particular trait.

Why not it's just another breed of dog. The ones I've had would all run if let off and come back. :thumbsup:

In Vic they are required to be on lead when off your property. Also, they aren't really known as a fetch/running with the kids/camping etc type of dog? Aren't they more couch potatoes with one or two sprints a day?