Another What Sort Of Dog For Me

Guest Pandii

Just looking for ideas at this point in time

I am looking for a breed of dog to show in Victoria

But have no idea what sort of breed.

I want minimal grooming and shedding

Not a barker

Good family dog

Easy going, not going to challenge the other dogs to much.

Loyal, not too independant

Able to be let offlead

While this dog will be a show dog it will be a family dog first, we go camping, fishing, bike riding, walking, jogging, have dogs inside outside, we have friends over for BBQs.

If you can recommend a breed can you also recommend a breeder please.

I have started show training and am going to some upcoming dog shows with someone in the know, to learn all I can, this will be ongoing.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only breeds that come to mind from that description are possibly Hungarian Visla and Pointer. No idea on breeders, sorry.

Minimum grooming and shedding limits you to breeds with really smooth, not just short coats so there is not going to be a lot of choices. Most short coated dogs shed more than long coats unless the coat is really thin and smooth. The complete non shedding coats, like Poodles, need lots of grooming. Add to that the requirement for them to not be independant and be able to be let off lead and it really narrows down the field.

The daughter would like a staffy, but I am a bit worried, putting a staffy a rotti and a shar pei together, I think I will have trouble in the ranks

I dont mind washing and some brushing but the blowing of coat the shar pei does is not something I think I want to do again

I am looking at Vizzlas, and pointers were suggested to me last night so I am reading up on them, I love the nature of the vizzla.

Not a greyhound sorry they are sort of in the whippet box, lovely dogs but not for me

Will look intot he other breeds mentioned, JJ shut up you are biased lol

Just say the smooth collie bit about shedding, I like wash and wear, I dont mind washing and I dont mind running a brush over them once a day or so, but I dont think I could cope with anohter breed that had their own fur cloud around them

What about Boxers, would they tick any boxes

Edited by Pandii

If the shedding weren't a issue, I'd probably suggest a Labrador.

Like I said last night, Hungarian Vizslas are a great breed, but they do have their drawbacks (like all breeds)

Whilst Vizslas and Weimaraners are similar looking, I've found them very different in temperament, and they are a much bigger dog (not bagging Weims :rofl:)

Boxers are lovely.. and to me, sound great for you.

Hey Pandii, what about a Schnauzer, they are pretty laid back, cruisy with other dogs, a little bit of coat up keep minimal shedding, Aloof but loyal. A mini may be too small but a stnadard may be too big? Just a thought!!

:rofl: Glad your looking into the pointers Pandii, I'm only new to the breed but if you want to know anything feel free to shoot me a PM.

I think your spot on with vizsla's, pointers (either kind), what about wei's!

I tend to agree with viz and pointer, but i the wei doesn't tick the same boxes... they aren't exactly an easy going breed... there are some that are more easy going than others, but for example the girls can be quite full on and aware ALL the time, the males are more laid back, easy going and friendly with people but can be quite challenging with other dogs.

Although... the LH wei is definitely more laid back as a general observation, especially the males. They actually require very little coat prep to show... generally a foot trim is about all required.

Edited by SparkyTansy

:rofl: Glad your looking into the pointers Pandii, I'm only new to the breed but if you want to know anything feel free to shoot me a PM.

I think your spot on with vizsla's, pointers (either kind), what about wei's!

I tend to agree with viz and pointer, but i the wei doesn't tick the same boxes... they aren't exactly an easy going breed... there are some that are more easy going than others, but for example the girls can be quite full on and aware ALL the time, the males are more laid back, easy going and friendly with people but can be quite challenging with other dogs.

yeah i wasnt too sure about the wei's, I like them but havent had too much to do with them the only ones I have spent time with seemed nice!

Hey Pandii, what about a Schnauzer, they are pretty laid back, cruisy with other dogs, a little bit of coat up keep minimal shedding, Aloof but loyal. A mini may be too small but a stnadard may be too big? Just a thought!!

A standard and a rotti and a sharpei? Might have the same problems that you'd have with a staffy?

From the standards that I've sen I wouldn't call them laid back or cruzy with other dogs. The minis are far more like this.

Don't standards need to be hand stripped for showing, or is that only the minis?

Edited by megan_