Another What Sort Of Dog For Me

Guest Pandii

True Ellz, OT but my daughter is in love with your dogs :thumbsup:

I do appreciate all the suggestions, its great to think outside the square, and pointers are a breed I have never really looked at.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Std Poodle ticked all the boxes......until.....would be a showdog first.............Thats like hitting yourself on the thumb with a hammer just for fun :thumbsup::thumbsup: ...on your first dog........I should know :rofl:

Instead of brushing everyday, if they are clipped short every 6-8 weeks, they are very minimal grooming. No shedding or blowing coat.

They are great family pets, love training & having fun.

Exccellent watchdogs too.

Gee....I'm a bit biased I only have 3 :D

Edited by Poodle Mum

Std Poodle ticked all the boxes......until.....would be a showdog first.............Thats like hitting yourself on the thumb with a hammer just for fun :angel::laugh: ...on your first dog........I should know ;)

Instead of brushing everyday, if they are clipped short every 6-8 weeks, they are very minimal grooming. No shedding or blowing coat.

They are great family pets, love training & having fun.

Exccellent watchdogs too.

Gee....I'm a bit biased I only have 3 :o

While this dog will be a show dog it will be a family dog first, we go camping, fishing, bike riding, walking, jogging, have dogs inside outside, we have friends over for BBQs.

Would be a family dog first Poodle Mum ;).

Hey Pandii, what about a Schnauzer, they are pretty laid back, cruisy with other dogs, a little bit of coat up keep minimal shedding, Aloof but loyal. A mini may be too small but a stnadard may be too big? Just a thought!!

A standard and a rotti and a sharpei? Might have the same problems that you'd have with a staffy?

From the standards that I've sen I wouldn't call them laid back or cruzy with other dogs. The minis are far more like this.

Don't standards need to be hand stripped for showing, or is that only the minis?

All sizes need hand stripping .occasionally you can get blessed with a coat that can be rolled but they arent easy to prepare,the stripping is easy,the scissoring is the hardest,They cant be show all year .

generally we get 6 months out of a coat depending on the weather & when it coat you need to do as many shows as possible.

Pre show bath for our min from start to finish with final grooming 2 hrs plus

Pointers do tick all boxes i think (long time pointer owner here :angel: BUT they do shed!!!! A lot! They shed all year round, and with 4 indoors atm I'm vacuuming everyday.

If you like, pop by and visit the pointer crew on the 6th at kcc. I'll be there with 3 of mine then :laugh: A black/white Liver/white and new girl Orange/white. Lovely temperaments, EXCELLENT family dogs, have a warning bark when people come to the door, they are wash and drip dry (no grooming really at all! Otehr than checking ears and claws weekly if you want a quick rub down with a brush) and they are good with recall as long as you take the time to train.

Goodluck in your search, I hope you find something you fall in love with!

The only breeds that come to mind from that description are possibly Hungarian Visla and Pointer. No idea on breeders, sorry.

Minimum grooming and shedding limits you to breeds with really smooth, not just short coats so there is not going to be a lot of choices. Most short coated dogs shed more than long coats unless the coat is really thin and smooth. The complete non shedding coats, like Poodles, need lots of grooming. Add to that the requirement for them to not be independant and be able to be let off lead and it really narrows down the field.

Pointer, Vizla or GSP.

My Pointer girl is great, got another on holiday, who is great too!

Just got a GSP 10 month old boy and have found him to be a bit more loyal and more focused on me regards to training. :angel:

Pointers do tick all boxes i think (long time pointer owner here :laugh: BUT they do shed!!!! A lot! They shed all year round, and with 4 indoors atm I'm vacuuming everyday.

If you like, pop by and visit the pointer crew on the 6th at kcc. I'll be there with 3 of mine then :o A black/white Liver/white and new girl Orange/white. Lovely temperaments, EXCELLENT family dogs, have a warning bark when people come to the door, they are wash and drip dry (no grooming really at all! Otehr than checking ears and claws weekly if you want a quick rub down with a brush) and they are good with recall as long as you take the time to train.

Goodluck in your search, I hope you find something you fall in love with!

AWWW I wanna come meet your dogs especially gypsy soooo cute, too far to drive thou :angel:

Pointer, Vizla or GSP.

Just got a GSP 10 month old boy and have found him to be a bit more loyal and more focused on me regards to training. :laugh:

Sorry, Offtopic :angel: but what do you call GSP's in conversation?

I saw a beautiful solid liver pup at the park and was talking to his owner and couldn't bring myself to say "I love the liver German Short Haired Pointers"- it was such a mouthful to say!! ;) :o

Would love a staint but maybe just a bit big for me I think

Saints tick every box and I would have suggested them myself....EXCEPT FOR....they shed like there's no tomorrow! They do not only blow coat twice a year but all year round, well ok I suppose it could be twice a year - January to June and July to December :angel:

Pointer, Vizla or GSP.

Just got a GSP 10 month old boy and have found him to be a bit more loyal and more focused on me regards to training. :laugh:

I saw a beautiful solid liver pup at the park and was talking to his owner and couldn't bring myself to say "I love the liver German Short Haired Pointers"- it was such a mouthful to say!! ;) :o

I say GSP most owner's should in theory know what you mean ;)

I saw a beautiful solid liver pup at the park and was talking to his owner and couldn't bring myself to say "I love the liver German Short Haired Pointers"- it was such a mouthful to say!! ;) :laugh:

I say GSP most owner's should in theory know what you mean :o

Thanks! I was going to say that but then thought I'd really look like a fool if he had no idea what I was talking about!! ;)

GSPs are my next dog breed for when the kids are older! That or a Viz. Or both... :)

Edited by ✽deelee