Another What Sort Of Dog For Me

Guest Pandii

Pointer, Vizla or GSP.

My Pointer girl is great, got another on holiday, who is great too!

Just got a GSP 10 month old boy and have found him to be a bit more loyal and more focused on me regards to training. :laugh:

Sorry, Offtopic :angel: but what do you call GSP's in conversation?

I saw a beautiful solid liver pup at the park and was talking to his owner and couldn't bring myself to say "I love the liver German Short Haired Pointers"- it was such a mouthful to say!! :):o

I'm with SB. I say GSP. ;) If someone doesn't know what it is, I then say "German Shorthaired Pointer", if they still don't know, out comes the camera. ;)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pointer, Vizla or GSP.

Just got a GSP 10 month old boy and have found him to be a bit more loyal and more focused on me regards to training. :laugh:

I saw a beautiful solid liver pup at the park and was talking to his owner and couldn't bring myself to say "I love the liver German Short Haired Pointers"- it was such a mouthful to say!! :):o

I say GSP most owner's should in theory know what you mean ;)

One of the bosses at work lives with his mate and her girlfriend and they have a GSP, in conversation the other day I said "how is such and suchs GSP doing" and he goes "whats a GSP" ;) when I told him it was an abreviation he said well that makes sense German short Haired Pointer is quite a mouth full!! :)

Pandii, what about a Cocker Spaniel, or Springer Spaniel?

Pointer, Vizla or GSP.

I saw a beautiful solid liver pup at the park and was talking to his owner and couldn't bring myself to say "I love the liver German Short Haired Pointers"- it was such a mouthful to say!! ;) :o

I say GSP most owner's should in theory know what you mean ;)

One of the bosses at work lives with his mate and her girlfriend and they have a GSP, in conversation the other day I said "how is such and suchs GSP doing" and he goes "whats a GSP" ;) when I told him it was an abreviation he said well that makes sense German short Haired Pointer is quite a mouth full!! :)

Pandii, what about a Cocker Spaniel, or Springer Spaniel?

:) You learn something new everyday, he learnt a new name for the breed. :)

I am thinking either pointer or Vizzla

But am going to be at the show this weekend and will be looking at breed and asking lots of questions

If you see me say Hi lol

Not cockers sorry, anything with long hair is not for me

I am thinking either pointer or Vizzla

But am going to be at the show this weekend and will be looking at breed and asking lots of questions

If you see me say Hi lol

Not cockers sorry, anything with long hair is not for me

:hug: Good luck Pandii!

Would love a dogue or any mastiff, but too big.

I just thought about a bull terrier, then thought I may be asking for trouble

What about a nice quiet layed back Greyhound.

could you trust a grey off lead when out and about ...nothing that i have heard from owners says that they should be let loose when not fenced

the thing about barkers

i reckon theyre pretty loyal dogs...the barkers ...the alert slightly protective or even really affectionate breeds i reckon tend to bark...some more than others and not necessarily be nuisance barkers ..i havent done a study of course but i reckon the loyal ones rally for the family

dont know about vizslas...i know that people have said theyre velcro dogs but as gun dogs would they be hard to train? maybe depends on the luck of the individual pup/owner

about loyal dogs....you know in my experience if you get too many loyal dogs that get very attached to you there can be trouble with the pack as the dogs age...as they try to get your attention ana affection...do a lot of research and dont listen to what an individual breeder might say..listen to the cumulative comments about possessiveness

you dont want them fighting over you esp if you have a rotti about

thats where an independent dog like one from the sighthound group might fit in..but theyre not really loyal although i have read comments about whippets being the most attached out of the group yet not overbearing with other dogs

i cant think of a breed

for you

i love pointers but again gundogs are supposedly a bit hard to train which came as a surprise to me but i did have a goldie who was delightful and easy but not focussed cos he fussed with the social aspect of the training..loved everybody

remember that short coats shed heaps...think of boxers...wow..the hair that comes off them!

so maybe a bit of hair would actually be easier

i love collie roughs cos of their devotion but i guess thats just too much work for the ring

i guess go the vizsla...viszla...i think the second spelling looks better lol

i d just go the veeeeessshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa and nope that the pup turns out just right

I haven't had much trouble with April, I just gave up due to working. We do some training on our walks, but don't do obedience classes anymore. April also isn't food motivated.

Alexis has been taught to stack and doesn't sit... :hug:

Kaiser is EASY to train, loves his food and loves attention. He is willing to please.

April and Alexis are Pointers, Kaiser is the GSP.

I havent had that much trouble training my gundog (pointer) Percyk, she is goofy and silly and takes a while to get things but once its in there shes all good! I guess just not as drivey as working breeds?

glad to hear that sammy

cos we love vizslas here and might consider one for retirement cos OH had ridgies when he was younger and he likes the look of the vizslas...kinda mellowed out ridgie froma distance lol

I havent had that much trouble training my gundog (pointer) Percyk, she is goofy and silly and takes a while to get things but once its in there shes all good! I guess just not as drivey as working breeds?

glad to hear that sammy

cos we love vizslas here and might consider one for retirement cos OH had ridgies when he was younger and he likes the look of the vizslas...kinda mellowed out ridgie froma distance lol

no major issues here with my GSP either - just have to approach training a bit differently than with other breeds - they are supposed to be trained to work with people ... my boy will be starting trialing in Obedience this year and he's fine off lead (recall wise) .....

glad to hear that sammy

I think gundogs are easy to train :laugh: I'm a useless trainer!! and have trained goldies, viz and spinone, all without any problems at all.

Vizsss esp are very very responsive.

Nothing mellow about them though :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

the thing about barkers

i reckon theyre pretty loyal dogs...the barkers ...the alert slightly protective or even really affectionate breeds i reckon tend to bark...some more than others and not necessarily be nuisance barkers ..i havent done a study of course but i reckon the loyal ones rally for the family

Breed that have a tendency to be barkers are usually that way because it was necessary as part of their original function.

dont know about vizslas...i know that people have said theyre velcro dogs but as gun dogs would they be hard to train?

Gundogs are one of the easiest groups to train, they have been bred to work alongside and under the direction of people. Always have the odd exception of course, but generally very trainable. Seen any guide dogs lately?

about loyal dogs....you know in my experience if you get too many loyal dogs that get very attached to you there can be trouble with the pack as the dogs age

Depends on how sensible a leader you are

thats where an independent dog like one from the sighthound group might fit in..but theyre not really loyal although

Many of the sighthound breeds become extremely bonded to their family. Even the less demonstrative breeds can be highly devoted, just not fawning or needy. It's strangers they can take or leave.

Would love a staint but maybe just a bit big for me I think

Saints tick every box and I would have suggested them myself....EXCEPT FOR....they shed like there's no tomorrow! They do not only blow coat twice a year but all year round, well ok I suppose it could be twice a year - January to June and July to December :rofl:

Cassie - :rofl: They aren't that bad!

Perhaps a Mastiff (sometimes called a Bristish Mastiff) could be a go'er too! I think you need to check out all the Utility Class Pandii! :laugh:

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner