Food/bedding Donations Please

Robbi

This morning I was talking to the lady who runs the Moorook shelter in the Riverland of South Australia and was appalled to find out the supplier who had been donating food for the dogs now wanted $1000 for each delivery of dry food she took (it is expired stock) :rofl:

I would like to leave boxes for people to donate dog/cat food at various locations around Adelaide but need help with suggestions as to where I could do this, I was thinking of approaching vet clinics and pet food suppliers and maybe dog obedience clubs?

Moorook is a no kill shelter run by volunteers and is non-profit, it takes in dogs and cats from a large area of South Australia but due to its location I think it is at a disadvantage re food donations, I am happy to make a run up there once a month or so with food and bedding donations, I will be approaching linen supply companies to see if they would be willing to donate old towels and blankets but I would love people to help me come up with some positive ideas as to how else we can help.

Moorook shelter does de-sex the dogs and cats in its care, they are taken each week to a vet at Two Wells who does the de-sexing and vaccinations for a discount rate :rofl:

This morning I was talking to the lady who runs the Moorook shelter in the Riverland of South Australia and was appalled to find out the supplier who had been donating food for the dogs now wanted $1000 for each delivery of dry food she took (it is expired stock) :rofl:

What a shock for the poor lady! Onya for trying to find ways to help out. Seems the location presents a transport problem.

It'd be great if a few other people would also volunteer to do a supply run every few weeks. Would there be any way of finding out if there's someone who already regularly drives up & back to that area? Could the lady at the shelter ask around locals?

I agree with your suggestion about checking out vet clinics. A local vet clinic once asked me for the names of rescues as they wanted to pass on their expired dry food stock.

So maybe some people could volunteer to do a phone/visit around of vet clinics....& do pick-ups if any happy to do the same.

A rescue shelter up here, has bins outside supermarkets in the area (with the full approval of the supermarkets), where shoppers can drop in pet food.

Maybe posters could be put up at places where dog people gather (dog parks but with council permission, pet supply stores, obedience clubs) telling them about the need & directing them where donations could be left.

Robbi, I'll talk to OH but we probably can offer to do a trip to Moorook every month or so to take supplies up.

We are headed to Mildura in a couple a weeks time, and could possibly detour past Moorook to drop things off.

If we can help in anyway just yell out we are out victor habour way south of adelaide but if you need help with putting boxes out at locations and then for picking them up and delivering them to a centrol piont to be tacken out there we are available. :thumbsup:

Robbi I've been trying to brainstorm ways to help. I was thinking maybe we could ask local papers to donate some advertising space to the Moorook website?

I'd offer to do runs upto Moorook but I don't have a car at the moment.

Am very eager to be involved in supporting this organisation, so please let me know what I can do to help

What a coincidence! Just 10 minutes ago I sent off an email to Moorook to let them know that I'd added them to the Links page of my website and have included them in Fido's charities!

I already have a box here for donations of food, etc for rescues and shelters, I will put a sign up in my 'Charity Corner' to let customers know that Moorook needs our help.

xxx

What a coincidence! Just 10 minutes ago I sent off an email to Moorook to let them know that I'd added them to the Links page of my website and have included them in Fido's charities!

I already have a box here for donations of food, etc for rescues and shelters, I will put a sign up in my 'Charity Corner' to let customers know that Moorook needs our help.

xxx

Thank you so much, I was going to give you a ring tomorrow and see if I could bring a box out(and see my favourite cresties), we are printing up some fliers and a laminated info sheet about the shelter at the moment :angel:

xxx

Thank you so much, I was going to give you a ring tomorrow and see if I could bring a box out(and see my favourite cresties), we are printing up some fliers and a laminated info sheet about the shelter at the moment :laugh:

Yes, feel free to bring any other info that I can display. Another idea is to have a look at www.ag-line.com and get the manufacturers contact details (from the links) for all the dry foods they distribute. Ring the manufacturers and see if they can donate out of date bags and if Agline can deliver them to me along with my regular orders. Then you can pick up the bags from me for transport to Moorook. But you'll need to contact the manufacturers first to see if you can get the bags and also if Agline can deliver them.

Better let you know that I don't bring the kids into the shop anymore as they were getting stressed by customers' dogs coming in. And .... I now have three! Couldn't resist a little senior girl who needed us :angel:

xxx

I have some bedding that could go to Moorook, so I could get that to Rachel (Ravyk).

Will also get some food together, and I will ask my Vet if perhaps we could a collection box in her surgery, she does collect stuff for the AWL, so I don't know if she would agree or not.

Trish

Robbi what about contacting the makers of Great Barko and Uncle Albers dog food. It is the Laucke Mills, they may be happy to help out with some donations of food, as they are a South Australian company.

www.lauckemills.com.au

Trish

This morning I was talking to the lady who runs the Moorook shelter in the Riverland of South Australia and was appalled to find out the supplier who had been donating food for the dogs now wanted $1000 for each delivery of dry food she took (it is expired stock) :laugh:

I would like to leave boxes for people to donate dog/cat food at various locations around Adelaide but need help with suggestions as to where I could do this, I was thinking of approaching vet clinics and pet food suppliers and maybe dog obedience clubs?

Moorook is a no kill shelter run by volunteers and is non-profit, it takes in dogs and cats from a large area of South Australia but due to its location I think it is at a disadvantage re food donations, I am happy to make a run up there once a month or so with food and bedding donations, I will be approaching linen supply companies to see if they would be willing to donate old towels and blankets but I would love people to help me come up with some positive ideas as to how else we can help.

Moorook shelter does de-sex the dogs and cats in its care, they are taken each week to a vet at Two Wells who does the de-sexing and vaccinations for a discount rate :rofl:

I suggest contacting Canine Behavioural School (www.positivelydogs.com) as they have had great success in getting donations from their students in the past. For certain fundraisers they have put boxes at reception and people have brought in dog food, toys, bedding etc. (particularly for the VIC bushfire appeal). THey may be able to help you do something similar.

Is every dog and cat desexed now? I know she was only desexing those who had sponsors and the others were sold undesexed. This was as late as last week. I am in the position to promote the shelter, but will only do so if everything is desexed, I don't see the point of keeping everything alive if it is only going to go out and create more dogs for her to rescue.

Robbi I've been trying to brainstorm ways to help. I was thinking maybe we could ask local papers to donate some advertising space to the Moorook website?

There are 2 local papers in the Riverland if anyone is interested in contacting them - The Murray Pioneer: http://www.murray-pioneer.com.au/

and the Riverland Weekly: http://www.riverlandweekly.com.au/Public/T...adListView.aspx

Both do occasionally put something in about the shelter but I couldn't tell you if they are paid for or donated space.

They both have letters to the editor if anyone is interested in writing in too :rofl:

Robbi what about contacting the makers of Great Barko and Uncle Albers dog food. It is the Laucke Mills, they may be happy to help out with some donations of food, as they are a South Australian company.

www.lauckemills.com.au

Trish

Yep and they supply to the Riverland too so I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to get food up here :rofl:

Has anyone thought about putting in cash donation boxes or flyers with Lola's details on them? You can make a donation through her website: http://www.moorookanimalshelter.com/sponsorship.html

Getting things back to the Riverland is no issue. There are plenty of Riverlanders who travel down to Adelaide regularly (unfortunately I'm not one of them :laugh: ) The local obedience club may be able to ask any members travelling down that way if they can do a pick up on their way home too. Their contact details are listed here: http://trialozdogs.webs.com/southaust.htm

Golden Riverland will also deliver to the Riverland at reasonable prices and have a depo in Regency Park.

Dont know if that helps anyone?

eta: From what I am aware of jdavis is correct in what she says :rofl: I dont agree with it either but Moorook is the only shelter we have and they work bloody hard to do what they do here. I would rather donate money towards desexing as I believe that its very important in the long run. This can also be done through the website. Something else to consider maybe?

Edited by SecretKei

If you keep things going the way they are then you are just enabling bad practice, and the reputation of the shelter in this area is not good. It will take a complete overhaul of the manager's philosophy for things to improve and I don't think that will happen. The current message on the home page is pleading for adoptions because the heat is unbearable for the dogs and cats at the shelter. So these dogs and cats are in a no kill situation, and at what cost? Some are sold without vaccination as well by the looks of it :laugh:

There was a full page colour ad in the pioneer yesterday as well. That is all well and good, but what happens when you get more food and bedding there, you just help them to keep more animals in poor conditions and then sold for little money undesexed. The current feeling in the Riverland with some animal people is that animals are better off dead than ending up there, things are that bad. It gives a really bad name to rescue.

Sorry to be so negative, but you have to be fully aware of the reality, good intentions are all well and good, but not at the expense of the welfare of the poor dogs and cats there, and their litters of unwanted offspring if they do get sold. If you want to help then do your best to convince them that vet work is important, and if they can't provide that then they need to reconsider their keep everything alive at all costs management.

If you keep things going the way they are then you are just enabling bad practice, and the reputation of the shelter in this area is not good. It will take a complete overhaul of the manager's philosophy for things to improve and I don't think that will happen. The current message on the home page is pleading for adoptions because the heat is unbearable for the dogs and cats at the shelter. So these dogs and cats are in a no kill situation, and at what cost? Some are sold without vaccination as well by the looks of it :laugh:

There was a full page colour ad in the pioneer yesterday as well. That is all well and good, but what happens when you get more food and bedding there, you just help them to keep more animals in poor conditions and then sold for little money undesexed. The current feeling in the Riverland with some animal people is that animals are better off dead than ending up there, things are that bad. It gives a really bad name to rescue.

Sorry to be so negative, but you have to be fully aware of the reality, good intentions are all well and good, but not at the expense of the welfare of the poor dogs and cats there, and their litters of unwanted offspring if they do get sold. If you want to help then do your best to convince them that vet work is important, and if they can't provide that then they need to reconsider their keep everything alive at all costs management.

You have valid points jdavis.

I don't agree with the no vaccs/no desexing. It goes without saying that if you put out an undesexed dog that you are likely to have it returned 10 fold in puppies :rofl:

But how can this situation be turned around? Why are the LOCAL vets not doing their bit (sorry if they are, but then why are the animals being taken to Adelaide for vet work?)

How many locals still see the Moorook shelter as a dumping ground for unwanted pets? How many dogs are left tied to that gate? And how many litters thrown over the fence? :rofl:

Perhaps the education needs to begin HERE. Encourage owners to desex their pets, encourage those who can help to sponsor an animal for vet work. A lot of emphasis seems to be placed on adopting a pet and not enough on supporting the shelter.

I wont comment on how the shelter is run - I've never been out there and dont feel that I have enough first hand knowledge to pass judgement. I do hear a lot though...

Back to the OP - of course the animals need food, that is important. But there are other ways to help also :rofl:

Edited by SecretKei

The local vets have tried to help, but they are still a business and are not obliged to lose money on someone elses decision to keep too many animals. Vets don't have to treat rescue animals at a reduced cost, rescue dogs aren't their responsibility. They also have to be careful professionally about what they support. The problem is deeper than just getting discount vet work in the Riverland, people here have given up after already trying to help and getting nowhere.

If you guys can make a difference that is great, I really do hope you can, but you need to be aware of the situation you face. If you can convince them to keep the numbers to what they can handle that would be a start. Disease transmission from shelters is a big issue here.

The animals are desexed if someone else pays for it. It isn't sustainable to desex 100 animals and then only charge $50 for them. The only option I see is increase the adoption fees and have less available for adoption so they don't sit at the shelter forever. I feel so sorry for some of them it takes all my strength not to go get some out of there.