Re Jj The Maltese X Shih Tzu

mutt lover

I posted a thread on here couple of months back about a maltese shih tzu JJ I was given by an elderly lady whom I used to care for that had gone into care. As Lady wasn't getting along with him and he was peeing and pooping on floor when I was at work etc and was barking all the time and had neighbor complain etc I wondered if I'd done the right thing in taking him and was considering re homing him but couldn't do it when it came to the crunch even had someone who was willing to take him!

Well what a difference time makes!. Lady and him are getting along really well considering she'd been the only dog with me for the past 11 years, she only grumps at him occasionally now and that's usually because he's on the couch with me or when he mistakes her bouncing around as wanting to play :thumbsup: he's settled down so much and only barks now when someone comes onto property and even copies Lady now and squeaks when he wants to go outside to toilet, he is gr8 to bath and clip but obviously must a boy thing in that after he's nice and white and clean goes outside to pee has to go and roll in the dirt again and seems very happy once he's all grotty again. :)

I hate to admit it but he's actually way less demanding than miss lady. :laugh:post-31607-1264745259_thumb.jpg

Thanks for taking JJ in and giving him time to let him get used to the new enviroment Mutt Lover.

Gambit is still not himself since his friend Miss Annabell went for a run over the Rainbow Bridge on 11 Jan 2010. So I can understand how JJ would have been feeling being taken away from his mate.

Enjoy the time you will have with JJ & Lady

Thanks for taking JJ in and giving him time to let him get used to the new enviroment Mutt Lover.

Gambit is still not himself since his friend Miss Annabell went for a run over the Rainbow Bridge on 11 Jan 2010. So I can understand how JJ would have been feeling being taken away from his mate.

Enjoy the time you will have with JJ & Lady

Aww Sorry to hear about Miss Annabell's passing recently It's never easy losing a member of your family.

Yeah it would of been very hard for him as he'd been with the old lady since he was a pup of 8 weeks of age and only knew me for 12 months so I feel lucky that she offered him to me, he's only 3 so should be around for a few years yet hopefully.

Edited by mutt lover

Oh, congrats on your newest family member! He looks like a total sweetie - and good to groom too?! :cry: Woman, you can NEVER let this one go! Haha.

Yep is fantastic to groom he actually holds his head up when you want to clip under his chin and stands very still has obviously been clipped from a pup and must of had a very good groomer from the start. I wouldn't say I'm great at it a bit slow as my andis clippers are crap! but it gets the job done eventually, one day I'll buy some decent ones.

A great story, it really does take 2 months for things to settle and providing noone is in physical danger, it would be great if everyone was so patient. Far too many rehomed dogs get returned within the first few days for reasons that would iron out over time.

Last week's best one I heard was that the dog had arrived and cocked it's leg on the fridge. He just HAD TO GO, RIGHT NOW. Hear this regularly. This was not one of my dogs and I counsel people what to expect so that hopefully, this scenario can be prevented but you can't always predict human nature unfortunately.

I spose all dogs act differently when in new environment but I've always adopted dogs from shelters and have never ever had any problems with separation anxiety or peeing or pooping inside, must of just been glad to be out of the shelters and into a nice loving home I guess, have been very lucky in that all the dog's I've had in the past have all been house trained too so makes you wonder what happened as to why they ended up in shelter as they were obviously loved at some stage and were all desexed also. I often think that lady was an elderly persons dog as when I lived in melb she used to like to visit 2 elderly neighbors when we went out for a walk I used to allow an hour as I knew she'd want to go see at least one of them on her walks was like she was checking up on them to see if they were ok.

I remember one day she was very persistent on going into a particular lady's house and I noticed the inside light was still on and TV and she wasn't answering door when I knocked which I thought was strange, Lady did not want to come away from the house and sadly found out later that day when I'd phoned police as I was very concerned that she had passed away during the night and wonder if perhaps Lady had known as animals can sense these things and was very sad as neighbor was a lovely lady had lived couple of houses down from me since I was a kid.