Vet Fined For Tail Docking

bulldogz4eva

Fined for practising in a state where he wasn't licensed to practice.

Under the guise of animal welfare? It's all about bureaucracy ...... really. <sigh>

The real aim and ideals of Animal Welfare simply gets lost in the quagmire. Sadly. :thumbsup:

Edited by Erny

I'm sure that's the same vet that docked my (then current, now ex) boyfriend's litter of Rottie pups... but it was legal to do so here in NSW at that time. He did a very nice neat job, and the pups didn't appear to even feel it (we were present during the ops)... and afterwards, they were playing happily with no sign of any pain or trauma either...

T.

Pups are docked somewhere between birth and 3 days, so how were they playing happily afterwards ?

You know what I mean SBT123 - they didn't show any signs of trauma during or after the procedure, OK?

T.

piglets are routinely docked after birth,they might squeal once or twice ,but then within a minute or 2 are back suckling,if done correctly there is hardly any blood either.

Some are done by inexperienced/inconsiderate people and i have seen several die from bloodloss because an artery has been nicked and it was too much trouble to stop it by the person performing the op.They object more to their teeth being cut out at the gums,and their ears notched-do the rspca care about that??

Couldnt find this online but was in todays West Australian.

A veterinarian from NSW was fined $32,500 in Perth Magistrates Court this week after pleading guilty

to performing tail docking surgeries without being registered in WA.

the Veterinary Surgeons Board charged Ross John Hansford with 132 counts.

Board inspector Chris Loyd said Hansford,who is a registered veterinary surgeon in NSW,

travelled to WA to perform tail docking surgeries from November 2008 to March 2009.

RSPCA WA President Lyn Bradshaw said the fine would send a warning to the community

that cosmetic tail docking of dogs was unacceoptable.

I too think it's because the vet did the wrong thing by not being registered in that State. The annoying part is how the RSPCA just had to jump in the limelight to put forward their policy. Sheesh. :)

Sounds more like the vet was fined for not being registered in WA.

Exactly.He got fined for not being registered here and performing surgeries,not for tail docking.The vet that still docks tails here and crops ears is on the vet surgeons board and he doesnt get charged.

Ditto, I would be most interested in seeing a dog that was cropped here in Australia!

Why is that?You dont believe it still happens?It does and it is not totally illegal in this state.One vet I have mentioned will still do it and he will not get fined.Onoy last price he quoted for it was quite high.There are still quite a few dogs riunning round here with docked tails and what are the RSPCA going to do about it.Nothing, because they cant prove anything.

Is docking legal in WA for cosmetic purposes? If it's not then I find it a bit hard to believe that he found 132 dogs to dock for health reasons... depending on the timeframe.

Also, since when is a possible broken tail a health reason? I might break my arm because I like waving it around occasionally but I wouldn't consider having it removed to prevent the risk.

bulldogz4eva how about going and changing your heading.

How about vet gets fined for not being registered in WA.

Just a thought.

Im not going to change it as that is the heading as it was reported in the paper.I just wanted to see if anyone else picked it up.As usual the RSPCA had to get on the band wagon.

Is docking legal in WA for cosmetic purposes? If it's not then I find it a bit hard to believe that he found 132 dogs to dock for health reasons... depending on the timeframe.

Also, since when is a possible broken tail a health reason? I might break my arm because I like waving it around occasionally but I wouldn't consider having it removed to prevent the risk.

As already mentioned for those who cannot seem to take the time to read threads before posting, docking is legal in WA when performed by vets, for prophylatic (preventative) and therapeutic reasons.

However, this is not a for and against docking thread, it is a thread merely reporting a case whereby a vet failed to properly organise the appropriate paperwork before performing a veterinary procedure interstate.

Bit OT, but in WW rescue thread there is a B/C boy that is desexed (obviously a home job according to ranger ). :thumbsup: I couldn't believe it but it seems to be quite common in country areas. I guess if they can get away with that, they can get away with tail docking too.

Oh and I just remembered, he's got a stumpy tail too so maybe that's whats happened :thumbsup:

Edited by ninahartland

As already mentioned for those who cannot seem to take the time to read threads before posting, docking is legal in WA when performed by vets, for prophylatic (preventative) and therapeutic reasons.

However, this is not a for and against docking thread, it is a thread merely reporting a case whereby a vet failed to properly organise the appropriate paperwork before performing a veterinary procedure interstate.

Apologies for not reading the thread with a fine toothed comb. :thumbsup:

*flogs self for missing information*

Edited by moosepup

The fine is pretty big, tho 132 tail docks is also a large number, i agree also with if its done by a vet and properly i dont have a problem with it, many vets still dock and crop.

And where would that be, exactly?

Its not my place to expose certain vets that still use these practices, tho with some research and talking to the right people you will have no trouble finding out.

Your boxers have tails?

The fine is pretty big, tho 132 tail docks is also a large number, i agree also with if its done by a vet and properly i dont have a problem with it, many vets still dock and crop.

And where would that be, exactly?

Its not my place to expose certain vets that still use these practices, tho with some research and talking to the right people you will have no trouble finding out.

Your boxers have tails?

No one asked for names and dates of birth, only areas.

Yes they do. Docking is illegal.

You are lying.

Moosepup

Apologies for not reading the thread with a fine toothed comb.

*flogs self for missing information*

Looks as if you didn't read it at all :banghead:

Blardy hell, I did read the thread!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

I realise that the issue is about the vet not being registered in WA. My point was that perhaps the docking was part of the fine as well as 132 dogs was a lot for a vet to be docking for health & preventative reasons (depending on the time frame for when the docking occurred). I don't think it actually said what he was convicted of (probably missed it, lost my comb).

ETA - Okay re-reading post one, I guess he was only convicted of not being registered. Would he have been fined $32,500 for performing other (legal) procedures? I might just stick to posting in the threads about rainbows and fluffy things. :banghead:

Edited by moosepup