Red Swollen Eyes

Something is very wrong with Oscar (6 month old Labrador) this morning. I have rung the emergency vet and they said to wait for our normal vet to open (Oscar is not unconcious or bleeding!) -Both of his eyes are red and the area around them is red and swollen, he had vomitted, weed and pooed in the family room overnight (has not pooed or weed inside in over 5months) and he is a bit subdued. He is rubbing his eyes and pushing up against furniture and me to rub them. Last night he seemed to drink more than usual. I have checked him over and cannot find any obvious bites or lumps but he looks terrible and I am very worried.....

His right eye was infected last week and we have put ointment in it 4 times a day until Friday - when the ointment ran out. Yesterday his eyes looked fine - lovely and clear.

ETA he has one dose of his antibiotics (for his Kennel cough) to take. These were prescribed last Monday.

Back from vets - they think he has been bitten by something. We went through everything else - no change in diet, no new plants, no new cleaning products or sprays etc - came up with nothing. He has had antihistamine and cortisol injections and is now asleep. He looks terrible. I have to take him back if he vomits again or gets worse.

Good new - his chest is clear so the kennel cough he came home with last week is better.

That's two Monday mornings in a row we have been to the vet - the Vet asked if I had a crush on him :laugh:

Back from vets - they think he has been bitten by something. We went through everything else - no change in diet, no new plants, no new cleaning products or sprays etc - came up with nothing. He has had antihistamine and cortisol injections and is now asleep. He looks terrible. I have to take him back if he vomits again or gets worse.

Good new - his chest is clear so the kennel cough he came home with last week is better.

That's two Monday mornings in a row we have been to the vet - the Vet asked if I had a crush on him :laugh:

Poor Oscar! Hope he gets well soon, the poor thing has had a tough time!

Edited by Masons_mom

Oh MAO, so so sorry to hear this !! Please keep us updated, I hope the antihist etc get him better quickly.

Are you in a bushy/spidery/snakey area ?

Extra big :laugh: to you all today.

We have a bit of bush and a creek across the road. I have done a huge critter hunt of the house since we got back from the vets - can't find anything. Oscar is sound asleep. Vet said it would take about 2 days for the swelling to go down. :love:

you can always have some Phenergen handy for times like this :laugh: works well but caution ... some dogs get VERY drowsy! One 25mg tablet is enough

I have always used the 10mg Phenergan for the dogs and they can have one twice a day if necessary.

Oh MAO, so so sorry to hear this !! Please keep us updated, I hope the antihist etc get him better quickly.

We have a bit of bush and a creek across the road. I have done a huge critter hunt of the house since we got back from the vets - can't find anything. Oscar is sound asleep. Vet said it would take about 2 days for the swelling to go down. :love:

Hope his swelling goes down real quick the poor little thing, must be uncomfy !

Hope his swelling goes down real quick the poor little thing, must be uncomfy !

He looks like he has been punched in both eyes and he has a fat face. :):(

you can always have some Phenergen handy for times like this :eek: works well but caution ... some dogs get VERY drowsy! One 25mg tablet is enough

I have always used the 10mg Phenergan for the dogs and they can have one twice a day if necessary.

Yes, my vet recommended 10mg Phenergan to have on hand - for Border Collies.

Glad Oscar is coming good, MAO - they love to worry us, don't they.