Bedding

SparkyTansy

Does anyone have any ideas or experiences on bedding used for a dog that likes to rip up their dog bed/blanket/carpet?

No matter what I put in Ari's crate to sleep on she rips up (she is crated when I'm not home)

She is given bones, kongs, chewtoys etc in order to distract her but she still rips up her bedding.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

Not ideal for inside the house, but the old fashioned wood wool is great if you can even get it any more - or shredded paper provided it's not too colourful is just as good. Makes a huge mess but just pop it all back in the crate and it's ready for the next day.

The bed that has lasted the longest when Phoenix was a puppy was a cheapish bed from the markets... I think they also have them in petbarn. Its blue and it has "Best Dog" written on it, with a picture of a dog on it. Not sure how it would go with a perpetual chewer, but it lasted most of Phoenix's puppyhood when some beds only lasted a day. Its a tougher easily washable material, but its not a very thick bed. I find the beds that have something they can get their teeth under the worst, if it has a label sewed onto it Phoenix will destroy it a lot quicker than if it doesn't. He rips the label off, which usually brings some material of the bed with it, and then out comes the stuffing!

Snooza generally offer repairs on their beds if they aren't too bad.

Snooza D1000 but it will take her a day or two to get used to it (whilst the air comes out of it) and the material can be a bit noisy

But they have withstood a dogue and a ridgy who like to play tug of war with their beds

I bought one for Ziggy and it stopped him in his tracks, although he is well past those antics now. I put an old blanket on top so he can snuggle into it.

sandgrubber, have they tried to unravel the carpet in any way? is there certain carpet types which aren't easy to unravel? I did have some carpet in there at one stage... i came home to a ball off unravelled wool in one corner and the plasticy stuff shoved in the other corner...

I just have a piece of vetbed in mine at the moment and the serial pest hasn't even managed that one yet. It has a rubbery type base with a fluffy top and he cannot do anything other than squish it in a corner!

Edited by Bundy's Mum

arrgh- forum won't let me go back to find out history here. apologies,then if these suggestions are way off! :thumbsup:

but

Have you thought that this behaviour may be an anxiety thing?

perhaps, if you install a DAP diffuser, put some rescue remedy in her water, and make sure she is exhausted when you leave you may help to alleviate some of the anxiety , which may be fuelling this behaviour :rofl:

anyway-, I would be just putting newspaper in the crate of a daytime.

Any reason she cannot be outside?

thanks persephone - I have tried several things including exhausting her, RR, chew toys/bones etc (although not sure what a DAP diffuser is?). Thanks to her wonderful breeding she is just one of those dogs that can rest for 5 minutes and be ready to go again, so exhausting her doesnt seem to work... the bones and toys entertain her for a little while, but after she devoured two large kangaroo tail portions in 10 minutes, I know it isn't for long... I know she sleeps for most of the day, but around 4pm (which is when I used to get home) she will become active and I believe all her destruction happens then. I havee tried her outside but she has dug up the retic, dug holes etc. She was also fine, for a while, inside, but recently decided that the blinds and the lounge chair arm corners were fair game and hence the solution being to crate her to keep her out of trouble... She is never without company but I believe she can get a little anxious if i or OH is not there. She is exercised (nearly) every day 1 hour morning and 1 hour night free running and lead walking. The mornings she is exercised vs not (for whatever reason) seem to make no difference.

sandgrubber, have they tried to unravel the carpet in any way? is there certain carpet types which aren't easy to unravel? I did have some carpet in there at one stage... i came home to a ball off unravelled wool in one corner and the plasticy stuff shoved in the other corner...

If you can get bound edges or fold the edges back under and tack them to the bottom the unreavelling should stop.