Q For Poodle Ppl

Bartok

Stripped is natural .All hand stripped breeds are been shown in there natural state,any hand strip breed that is clipped is altered.

Most pet mini schnauzers are clipped so they are altered ,there correct natural state is stripped

I understand what you are saying, in terms of showing dogs, hand stripping is the "natural" way.

However the term implies a different thing to the general public. If pet person buys an Airedale terrier it is not going to look even remotely like it's show ring counterparts if left natural (no human intervention) wereas the the short coated breeds do (and even to some extent the feathered/spaniel/spitz breeds do).

for example

With regard to hand-stripping of terriers (specifically the Border Terrier as it's my breed), they are meant to look fairly natural (although some take it too far IMO), and correctly groomed they look not that different from the BTs of old who worked in the morning then hit the ring in the afternoon- their coats were naturally shortened/stripped by the dog constantly going through brush and wooded areas etc. Because our dogs today don't hunt, we have to help them shed their coat (as per CruisenRoxy's example of the westie coat- if we don't strip the dead hair complications can arise).

So in the case of Border Terriers at least, it's a case of comfort & necessity that they are stripped when required and not solely a fashion statement (clipping the dog can lead to irritation such as ingrown hairs and skin complaints, neglecting stripping/combing will result in the dead hair staying on the dog leading to itchiness and discomfort).

Borders seem to have a different type of wire coat to others......

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for th pic Lowenheart - very cute

I think we are dealing with definitions here - for me - if you intervene then the coat is not being presented naturally. Given the huge amount of time that is dedicated by terrier people to the maintenance of their dogs coats I just don't get the big deal made about poodles and show coat :thumbsup::cheer:

So were did the tradition of hand stripping come from???? Was it originally an extension of the natural ripping and tearing that happened as the dogs went about their work that has been taken to an exterme for the show ring. After all this is what happened with poodles and clipping.

Edited by frufru

Thanks for th pic Lowenheart - very cute

I think we are dealing with definitions here - for me - if you intervene then the coat is not being presented naturally. Given the huge amount of time that is dedicated by terrier people to the maintenance of their dogs coats I just don't get the big deal made about poodles and show coat :o :p

So were did the tradition of hand stripping come from???? Was it originally an extension of the natural ripping and tearing that happened as the dogs went about their work that has been taken to an exterme for the show ring. After all this is what happened with poodles and clipping.

As far as I know, for the Border terrier yes- as well as fashion (Thank you, Americans!!!). However it's only been in the past 15 or so years that Borders have been *so* stripped out for the ring. But also note that a Border Terrier is NOT shaped or clipped like most other wire coated terriers.. I clip my dog's genital areas for hygiene purposes but that's it. I also use no product on my dogs except chalk if they need it to spruce them up (they aren't traditionally bathed before a show).

Borders are considered a 'natural' terrier in the ring. I can't speak for other breeds though which take ALOT more time & effort (my guys vary from 15 minutes to and hour or two the night before a show depending on what stage of growth their coat is in and how fussy I'm being ;) ).

Thanks for the reply, Spikes Puppy

I actually clip (don't shoot me - owner prefers this) a Border and she is just gorgeous in personality. Owner was shown how to hand strip by the breeder but doesn't like doing it and prefers to get her shaved short in summer due to ticks - luckily she suffers no skin probs from this.

Thanks for the info - damn those Americans they are such fashionistas oh for FCI and the Uk where hair spray is banned and dogs are a little scruffier!!!!

In Europe there are a number who are trimmed & where done so well before they where known in Oz.

This dog was well known in the late 90.s

http://www.cryout.it/Vid.htm

You're right my mistake - the lagotto standard doesn't say 'no sculpting'. It does say something about rustic [hardy] appearance and shouldn't be clipped short, and should show the curls. All of which allows for lots of interpretation, so no wonder I'm confused!

I guess it's up to the judge what they consider to be rustic etc. I'm glad I don't have to make that kind of decision - it wouldn't be easy. In my mind at least the words in the standard seem to differentiate the presentation of this breed from the poodle or the bichon, for example.

I do take your point - the Lagotto coat is still 'presented' it's just presented to look more rustic and to show the curl. It's not actually natural, as such.

As I said, the dog I saw was an absolutely stunning animal and I am a big fan of both the poodle and lagotto breeds.

Couple of weeks ago I stripped my first Border, and last Friday my first Cairn :laugh:

I was/am terrified of stripping, never been shown so I am doing it by reading "Notes from the Grooming Table". Luckily they are both pets and the owners just want them stripped so as not to ruin the coat, both owners loved the end result and I was a bit pleased that I hadn't completely ruined the look of the dogs :confused:

Both fantastic temperaments, first time grooming for both and they were just wonderful - so much nicer than the nasty, bitey shih X's I seem to get!

Couple of weeks ago I stripped my first Border, and last Friday my first Cairn :)

I was/am terrified of stripping, never been shown so I am doing it by reading "Notes from the Grooming Table". Luckily they are both pets and the owners just want them stripped so as not to ruin the coat, both owners loved the end result and I was a bit pleased that I hadn't completely ruined the look of the dogs :confused:

Both fantastic temperaments, first time grooming for both and they were just wonderful - so much nicer than the nasty, bitey shih X's I seem to get!

How are your fingers? :laugh: Honestly, I don't know about Cairns but you can't ruin the look of a Border through stripping :laugh: it'll grow back if you pull any undercoat out accidentally, and it's the same length all over so :bolt: Good on you for learning how to do it :)

What about the people that do this to poor poodles........... :laugh:

20081001012.jpg

PS love the corded. I have meet one in the flesh.....It looks soooo spunky! Would love to give it a go........its not worth the stress :confused:

Edited by Poodle Mum

*sigh* one day I will have my white Standard :o :D

And yes, it has to be white so I can have even more fun with it's hair :) If I didn't want to show I'd have one already but no way am I doing that much grooming before a show!! Perfectly happy to clip & scissor but not with that level of dedication LOL.

:laugh: the pink dog!!

Couple of weeks ago I stripped my first Border, and last Friday my first Cairn :)

I was/am terrified of stripping, never been shown so I am doing it by reading "Notes from the Grooming Table". Luckily they are both pets and the owners just want them stripped so as not to ruin the coat, both owners loved the end result and I was a bit pleased that I hadn't completely ruined the look of the dogs :)

How are your fingers? :o Honestly, I don't know about Cairns but you can't ruin the look of a Border through stripping :laugh: it'll grow back if you pull any undercoat out accidentally, and it's the same length all over so :D Good on you for learning how to do it :D

A friend and I handstripped another friend's Border Terrier at an agility trial once. Foolish foolish owner leaving a Terrier with two poodle owners. We stripped out her body and left her with lovely puffy legs... Dutch clip terrier style. :D

Couple of weeks ago I stripped my first Border, and last Friday my first Cairn :D

I was/am terrified of stripping, never been shown so I am doing it by reading "Notes from the Grooming Table". Luckily they are both pets and the owners just want them stripped so as not to ruin the coat, both owners loved the end result and I was a bit pleased that I hadn't completely ruined the look of the dogs :)

How are your fingers? :o Honestly, I don't know about Cairns but you can't ruin the look of a Border through stripping :laugh: it'll grow back if you pull any undercoat out accidentally, and it's the same length all over so :D Good on you for learning how to do it :D

A friend and I handstripped another friend's Border Terrier at an agility trial once. Foolish foolish owner leaving a Terrier with two poodle owners. We stripped out her body and left her with lovely puffy legs... Dutch clip terrier style. :hug:

Have you got pictures? :)