Q For Poodle Ppl

Bartok

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, similar to portugese water dog and lowchen. A lot of breeds are are shown in particular trims for the show ring eg bichon, bedlington, lagotto. For my money its the hand stripped dogs that require sooooo much preparation for the ring and if you see a terrier whose coat has gone feral it is soooo different LOL

ps - why do the Lowchens get trimmed (know nothing about this breed)

without looking it up, I thought it was something to do with the history of the breed and that certain parts of coat were left to protect the vital organs :eek:

Yep, something along those lines. It was to protect them in the water while they worked I think.

This question was answered in a other thread not long ago -sorry cant remember which one though-

I just worry about those poor boy dogs getting a complex lol

Why would they get a complex???

Exactly?? Some of the toughest, most 'macho' dogs I've ever met have been Standard males in full show coat & clip... not to mention that most Poodles, regardless of size or haircut, consider themselves to be 10 foot tall and bulletproof - I can assure you their haircut plays absolutely no part in how a Poodle views itself or the world around it!! :eek:

As far as why they are clipped this way, the Extended Breed Standard has a very good History Of The Breed chapter on the first page... have a read:

Extended Breed Standard - The Poodle

Hope that helps!! :eek:

Edited by poindexter888

Pretty sure that's mostly for effect so they look like little lions - but I think it could be related to the bed warmer thing with Chinese Cresteds - the bare skin transmits more heat (or seems to, don't think there's any science behind it) so maybe the Lowchen was clipped to look like a lion and be practical as a bed warmer. Don't know enough about the history of the breed to be sure but this is what I've picked up from various places :eek:

Yes, similar to portugese water dog and lowchen. A lot of breeds are are shown in particular trims for the show ring eg bichon, bedlington, lagotto. For my money its the hand stripped dogs that require sooooo much preparation for the ring and if you see a terrier whose coat has gone feral it is soooo different LOL

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Lagotto supposed to be exhibited "a la naturale"?

I have witnessed exhibitors being 'told off' by judges for having groomed-out and trimmed their Lagotto :eek:

I am not a poodle person so someone else may be able to give more detail. Poodles are retrievers - they retrieved on water. The coat was clipped so they wouldn't have too much coat to swim with but the coat was left long over the kidneys so they wouldn't catch cold - same applies to the head.

They were clipped as they were for a purpose, not for cosmetic reasons. They are shown with that clip because it is "traditional" and also because their owners like it.

Poodles can be clipped anyway their owners' fancy.

There's a tradie around here with 2 standard poodles, which ride in the tray of his tonner, under the canopy - guarding his tools. An apricot and a white, they are beautifully groomed in full lion clip. The look absolutely beautiful.

Now, there's a man with no problems with his own masculinity!! And I don't think any of this tools ever go missing either

Edited by Jed

I groom a couple of pet lagottos and there is no way the show ones I have seen are a la naturale - they have all been fully scissored - not blow dried but definitely scissored. I assume the lagotto coat would just keep growing much like a poodles if you did not trim it at all??????

Face, feet and bottom of tail and tummy are usually clipped for cleanliness/hygiene reasons

What you do after that is up to the owner's wishes and how much grooming they want to do. The shorter the coat is kept the easier it is to groom. An unclipped poodle will end up in floor length matts if not groomed somehow.

It ain't the dogs that have the complex - it's the people. Most poodle owners want their dogs to be well groomed and look like poodles and a poodle in a decent clip is a very recognisable breed.

That said, what clips the dogs can be in is only limited by the imagination of the groomer. :eek:

Edited by poodlefan

Bichons, bedlingtons, lowchens, and any that are hand stripped - oh and I love seeing the clouds of product wafting out from some non poodle exhibitors tents. Sometimes you feel like you are in the middle of a ski field with all the potatoe flour that is wafting around and what other products go into hair of various breeds - you can't tell me that poodles have the hairspray market cornered and what about gels etc

Edited by frufru