Q For Poodle Ppl

Bartok

Bichons, bedlingtons, lowchens, and any that are hand stripped - oh and I love seeing the clouds of product wafting out from some non poodle exhibitors tents - shake a sammie or old english and see what comes out :eek: :eek: .

Call me dumb but i dont see what you mean by coats altered ??especially in Beddies & Bichons.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ps - why do the Lowchens get trimmed (know nothing about this breed)

Pretty sure that's mostly for effect so they look like little lions - but I think it could be related to the bed warmer thing with Chinese Cresteds - the bare skin transmits more heat (or seems to, don't think there's any science behind it) so maybe the Lowchen was clipped to look like a lion and be practical as a bed warmer. Don't know enough about the history of the breed to be sure but this is what I've picked up from various places :eek:

The thing about the "lion" trim is that it's hygienic.

You clip the feet to stop them getting packed with mud, you remove the hair from the bottom area to avoid the dags and clipping the belly works on the boys and girls. I find the hindquarters mat up quicker than the front, so take that off too. And the face, well Lowchen used to have facial clipping, so cleaning up around the eyes and the chin means a much cleaner dog.

The "lion" trim was very popular 14th to 18th Century. Lowchen are kept in it as they are Little Lion Dogs (Petit Chien Lion, Loewchen, Lowchen, Pequeño Perro León ~ all mean Little Lion Dog).

My friend is a showerr (if thats the right word.. She shows poodles) and a breeder, i have picked up in passing that they are a retriever dog. There chest is left full to protect their heart and lungs, the pom poms on the bum are for the kidney and the feet to protect the feet...hehe, they have the pom pom on their tail, because 9/10 the were retriever for water birds, so there owner would tie a ribbon/ dye the color so that they were noticable to other hunters while retriving...

My friend has 3 dogs and they are the most beautiful dogs that i have met (other then my two of course). They are such goof bags.

At many shows that i have been to with her, she contantly get the "poor dog" coment directed at her.. All I have to say is, does the average jo blo spend that much time one on one with their dog..?At home they are treated just like any other dog and run around getting into things.

My Aunty and Uncle also have a poodle in the basic cut ( short coat with a little pom pom tail and long ears). She is still as much of a goof bag as the show ones.

I would definatley reccomend this breed to any one as they are beautiful dogs.. :eek::eek:

"Altered" as in clipped or stripped or scissored. Like poodles none of these dogs are shown in their natural states - so I don't get why everyone makes a fuss about poodles.

Thanks Lowenheart - so is the Liontrim compulsory for Lowchens in the show ring?

Bichons, bedlingtons, lowchens, and any that are hand stripped - oh and I love seeing the clouds of product wafting out from some non poodle exhibitors tents. Sometimes you feel like you are in the middle of a ski field with all the potatoe flour that is wafting around and what other products go into hair of various breeds - you can't tell me that poodles have the hairspray market cornered and what about gels etc

Westies are stripped to keep the hair in good order - remove the dead coat so that the new coat can come through and they dont have to share the same follicle and prevents irritation.

Westies are dry cleaned with chalk / powder to retain natural oils in the coat and keep the coat Harsh/Coarse which will prevent irritation. If you have a correct textured dog it is said that by adding chalk to the coat, and brushing it out, your dog will come up clean. However I do this preperation at home, and if I HAVE to put any chalk in his coat at the show - I make sure I go to an open empty space to get it out, nothing like wearing a black suit that gets covered in chalk :(

Not many people know the reasons behind Westies being chalked, and I had to do it at the Royal as a touch up, and lots of people asked why I was doing it... I was glad I could inform them why.

"Altered" as in clipped or stripped or scissored. Like poodles none of these dogs are shown in their natural states - so I don't get why everyone makes a fuss about poodles.

Stripped is natural .All hand stripped breeds are been shown in there natural state,any hand strip breed that is clipped is altered.

Most pet mini schnauzers are clipped so they are altered ,there correct natural state is stripped

A bit OT, but I saw a pic of a corded (is that the right term?) poodle recently. I wouldn't have had any idea it was actually a poodle! Looks like a whole lot of work.

Yes, certainly a stunningly unusual look - couldn't imagine my guys "corded" - too much work

corded.jpg

A bit OT, but I saw a pic of a corded (is that the right term?) poodle recently. I wouldn't have had any idea it was actually a poodle! Looks like a whole lot of work.

Yes, certainly a stunningly unusual look - couldn't imagine my guys "corded" - too much work

corded.jpg

wow, i never seen a "corded" poodle before..

Looks awesome, very Bob Marleyish :(

Thanks Lowenheart - so is the Liontrim compulsory for Lowchens in the show ring?

The lion trim is not technically compulsory for Lowchen in the show ring. There is no disqualification for not putting the dog in the trim but as it is one of the defining features of the breed (it is named for it) then it is strongly looked down upon to not have them in lion trim.

I have always shown my dogs in lion trim, I love it and my dogs love it too by association. One time I showed a Lowchen with hip rosettes, in neuter class, for a laugh. :thumbsup:

Stripped is natural .All hand stripped breeds are been shown in there natural state,any hand strip breed that is clipped is altered.

Most pet mini schnauzers are clipped so they are altered ,there correct natural state is stripped

I understand what you are saying, in terms of showing dogs, hand stripping is the "natural" way.

However the term implies a different thing to the general public. If pet person buys an Airedale terrier it is not going to look even remotely like it's show ring counterparts if left natural (no human intervention) wereas the the short coated breeds do (and even to some extent the feathered/spaniel/spitz breeds do).

for example

you wouldn't happen to have a pick of that lowchen lowenhart with the rossets lol

A mentioned the traditional trim of the poodle was used to keep the vita organ warm when retireving in cold waters, the profusse coat was also ment to be a bouancy to help keep them afloat.

All other trims are designed for pets and fashion. Pet owners can have their poodle in anytrimor length of coat

corded.jpg

:thumbsup: Am drooling on my keyboard...

If I had the time, dedication and energy I would love to have corded poodles... Just beautiful!!

There are some practical advantages to having a poodle clipped around the face, feet and tail. Face - keeps hair out of eyes and food and stays cleaner. Feet - helps keep the dirt and grass seeds out. Tail - well I guess it's obvious why a forest of hair down there might not be a good idea.

So I think that contributes to why a lot of pet poodles also have kept with the short face, feet and tail trim. It's not essential and I haven't always had it done (I love a beard on mine). But it is easier and cleaner when it's smooth.

Also just less hair to be brushing all the time. Curly hair takes a lot of care if it gets long. I figure a show poodle in a lion trim needs half the brushing that a dog with that length of coat would need if it were covering the whole body.

It does look extreme though. I look at the poodles in the ring with the sky-high topknots and think - wow, well I could never show a poodle. And I love poodles so a bit of me thinks that is a shame. Why not a shorter more user-friendly trim?

I am also interested in the Lagotto thing - the last one I saw in the ring was very carefully coiffed. I noted it did not get pulled out for group, and I suspect this was part of the reason (magnificent dog, by the way). The standard says something about no sculpting. This one had definitely had sculpting. Perhaps over time it might be a bit like the Bichon thing - in Europe they show them in a more natural curly look, but here and in the US they are fluff dried and coiffed. Same dog, different presentation.

Both fantastic breeds IMO. Personally I like the curly look. Still keep them neat and tidy (still need your scissors to do that) but not in a perfect outline. Relaxed looking.

I understand what your saying frufru - clipped, stripped or scissored is altering the naturally occuring coat to enhance the dogs appearance for show or to maintain a tradition.

Good shot of the airedale before grooming - now that looks au la natural :cheer:

It isn't just poodles who have this done as you said and yet people seem to mention the poodle first :thumbsup:

I am also interested in the Lagotto thing - the last one I saw in the ring was very carefully coiffed. I noted it did not get pulled out for group, and I suspect this was part of the reason (magnificent dog, by the way). The standard says something about no sculpting. This one had definitely had sculpting. Perhaps over time it might be a bit like the Bichon thing - in Europe they show them in a more natural curly look, but here and in the US they are fluff dried and coiffed. Same dog, different presentation.

I dare say the dog/s you saw are Australias biggest winning lagotto & not winning on the day simply means the judge preferred something else.

In Europe there are a number who are trimmed & where done so well before they where known in Oz.

This dog was well known in the late 90.s

http://www.cryout.it/Vid.htm

I dare say the dog/s you saw are Australias biggest winning lagotto & not winning on the day simply means the judge preferred something else.

In Europe there are a number who are trimmed & where done so well before they where known in Oz.

The Lagotto standard doesn't say "not trimmed" in fact it says "a complete clipping must be performed at least once a year", doesn't say how short to take them or you have to uses mechanical clippers. :thumbsup:

I always admired photos of Vid, so pretty!

The Lagotto standard doesn't say "not trimmed" in fact it says "a complete clipping must be performed at least once a year", doesn't say how short to take them or you have to uses mechanical clippers. :thumbsup:

I always admired photos of Vid, so pretty!

Exactly,i have seen some done so short its :cheer:

Infact if you look at most Euro lagotti sites even back in the 90,s they have good coat & shaped.

Also the coat texture pays a big part

Of woolly texture, somewhat rough in surface, forming tightly curled, ring-shaped curls with the undercoat shining through. Curls must be evenly distributed all over the body, except on the head, where the curls are less tight, forming well-furnished eyebrows, whiskers and beard. Even the cheeks are covered with dense hair. The topcoat and especially the undercoat are waterproof. If not clipped, the hair tends to become felted; therefore a complete clipping must be performed at least once a year. Felted topcoat and undercoat must be removed periodically.

Also the lagotto in the US in 2008 was accepted only for companion events.It is still on the FSS register & cant be shown

Edited by showdog