Council Says Only 2 Dogs-

Shakti

on the form to apply for the permit in our council it says 'reason for wanting more than 2 dogs' perhaps it doesnt have to be a good one :heart:

dont know if being CDC (crazy dog couple) is an acceptable reason lol

its a bit crazy, we live on a large (in todays suburban standard) block of around 700m2 we have more than enough room for 3 dogs.

apprently it helps your cause if you can show that you take your dogs to obedience etc (which we do).

I have a permit for 3 dogs. It cost $50, council sent letters to a couple of the neighbors to see if they had any concerns then the ranger came out to check and that was it. But with my council you needed to already have 3 dogs before you could apply for the permit, dont know what you had to do with number 3 if you were declined the permit

Lynda

on the form to apply for the permit in our council it says 'reason for wanting more than 2 dogs' perhaps it doesnt have to be a good one :heart:

I just put that I wanted another young dog so Moose would stop annoying Zoe (she's old). Got approved. :laugh:

I am in a fairly rural suburb of Melbourne and was just wondering if our council's stand re two dogs and two cats maximum is a strongly worded suggestion or a legally enforceable mandate?

Hi,

I assume it probably is legally enforceable - they'd surely have some by-laws of guidelines permitting them to remove any more than the allowable number or fine you or something.

I'm about to try and address this with my local council. I might be cynical but I fully believe that, as long as you have a fair reason for having more than the limit, the council will quite happily take money for another dog registration without any issue and will probably manage the exception if there is a complaint - everything else they do in this process is simply red tape and their way of trying to kid everyone to think they're in control of animal management.

Rest assured, if the council has any hesitation in granting my request, I will more than happily suggest to them that instead of making a responsible person's life difficult perhaps they should do something about all the unregistered dogs roaming around the neighbourhood and then come back to me with their officious attitude.

All the best and hope it isn't an issue for you.

i don't get it ... leaving alone all homeless and unloved smaller and larger variety in the animal kingdom, with sooooo many dogs and cats unloved and uncared for WHY does ANY council wanna charge MORE for peeps that wanna look after and care and love them!??!

i just don't get it?!?

why do they wanna make it harder!??! and what about rescuers ... fosterers!??! wadda they do!??!

*perplexed*

i don't get it ... leaving alone all homeless and unloved smaller and larger variety in the animal kingdom, with sooooo many dogs and cats unloved and uncared for WHY does ANY council wanna charge MORE for peeps that wanna look after and care and love them!??!

i just don't get it?!?

why do they wanna make it harder!??! and what about rescuers ... fosterers!??! wadda they do!??!

*perplexed*

Because some people love animals and end up taking on too many that they can't adequately care for (food or health wise).

When you have 3 or 4 or 5 dogs it exponentially increases the noise when they bark, particularly if they set each other off. Luckily mine seem to get quieter with each new one I get. :o

I think fosterers are allowed to keep more animals under the agreement that it is a constant moving flow of animals out to homes etc.

Rescuers can apply for a domestic animal business permit which allows them to keep and place animals in new homes and they must follow a code of ethics for animal welfare.

i just don't get it?!?

*perplexed*

Because some people love animals and end up taking on too many that they can't adequately care for (food or health wise).

When you have 3 or 4 or 5 dogs it exponentially increases the noise when they bark, particularly if they set each other off. Luckily mine seem to get quieter with each new one I get. :o

staff, thank you ... this is the 'dog lady/cat lady' perspective ... k :p

I think fosterers are allowed to keep more animals under the agreement that it is a constant moving flow of animals out to homes etc.
i am satisfied too with this remark cuz this is where i wanna be in time to come...
Rescuers can apply for a domestic animal business permit which allows them to keep and place animals in new homes and they must follow a code of ethics for animal welfare.

and with this staffy you have allayed all my fears ... thank you *hugsmuchly*

Perhaps call your council and ask to speak to a Ranger about it.

I have not heard the 'get the 3rd dog first' clause in my council but maybe I glazed over it.

Essentially they are looking for adequate space, that the neighbours approve and you have strategies in place for the quick disposal of dog poo ensuring it does not cause any extra smell.

My council doesn't require that you have the 3rd dog before applying. That seems completely ridiculous to me... what if it gets rejected?? :o

You do need to specify breed, etc in your application and that is what you get permission for. I applied to have another Chihuahua but if they found I had actually gotten a Great Dane they might have an issue with that.

Im going to state the obvious and say I think the 2 dog rule is ridiculous in MOST cases. While I understand (as mentioned by someone else) some people take on too many dogs than they can handle...there are MANY people that CAN take on more than 2 without issue. There are so many fur kids being PTS, I think if the property is large enough you shouldn't need an extra permit.

That's just my 2 cents :laugh: