Council Says Only 2 Dogs-

Shakti

hypothetically we were required to have the third dog prior to applying...stupid rule, and when i spoke to them i explained i wasnt prepared to do that, but i was able to state the breed and sex i was getting. I also had to have the reason i just explained i wanted to start a younger dog in dog sports as my current two were approaching older age. I think the idea is they want to see if you state you plan to breed lots of puppies, then the whole permit type changes.

Be careful though i have now hit the yearly renewel problem......new neighbours arriving soon, so got to hope they are dog loving like the current ones...our council requires neighbour permission every year..though when i first applied i was told the renewel wouldnt require that and the only condition would be no complaints received by council

that appears to be the theory, though i am told they have to have some reason. In my original i had one neighbour wouldnt agree or disagree, reason being they dont believe pets should be kept in residential areas, and mine attract strays. Other three agreed, i just would hate to see what happens if you reach the two out of two agreeing. Im a glass half empty kind of person though, so i find the whole things each year a bit disturbing, particualrly as i dont really have much to do with neighbours rest of year, and i know there are some problem barkers and perpetual strays around me that do cause issues.

Just wondering, do I need to apply to council to have more than 2 kids? I know other families that have 3 and 4! They must have a permit or does it depend on the area? Thought I better get it right before I go ahead. :D

Yes but you have to have the third one before you apply, and if approval is refused you can always drop it at the orphanage.

I know dog complaints, especially noise, make up a lage proportion of the complaints councils receive, but still....

I had have the third dog before application (Frankston Council). Apparently once you have the dog they'd have to have a pretty good reason to say no.

Same with our council (City of Greater Shepparton) - you had to have the 3rd dog before applying for the permit - our council says you need to have 100sqm of clear land for each dog. We had to have it signed by all adjoining neighbours. Nobody ever came out to inspect the ppty which was a little dissapointing.

With our council if you're zoned Farming or your ppty is over 8 hectares then you don't require a permit.

Strathbogie Council seems pretty reasonable - if you're zoned Rural or Farming you can have 5 dogs before you need a permit.

WOW 9 dogs...im green with envy

You wouldn't be when your doing the daily poo pick up :laugh:

I spoke to someone at the Colac-Otway shire and you don't need a permit if in a rural area.

As we are looking at a minimum of 10acres hopefully we should be alright.

Edited by Ulfhednar

Move to NSW. We have no limits here.

And I have found that my three big dogs (Rotties and Dane) make less noise than the single Chi that lives across the road :mad :D :)

I did have 12 when I was doing rescue......... and Council knew. They joked with me that I would become the local mad dog lady eventually....... :laugh:

When I got my 3rd dog permit (GSD) the Council said I needed permit first, then only the dog applied for is covered by the permit. The Ranger came out to check our fences, saw two old little dogs, saw we were on acreage and no problem.

What really p****s me off is that around this area there are so many people with 'several' dogs, I doubt they all have permits. I know of many people who NEVER EVER register any of their dogs. One lady I work with has even had her dog picked up by the Council several times as it is a 'houdini hound' and because he is mcirochipped gets brought back home- NOT REGISTERED- NO FINE OR even a WARNING!!!

I know so many people (particulary renters) who don't register any of their pets and therefore seem to have three or four dogs and cats. :rofl:

Edited by LizT

I would be worried if the continuation of your permit was subject to complaints to council.

Although I have never had a complaint lodged against me before that I am aware of *touches wood* that is not to say an issue may not arise in the future. And although I would endeavour to never have a complaint against me, again it could happen to us if we had a barking issue that we were not aware of whilst we were out.

I guess this is where having great neighbours that will tell you if there is an issue is such a blessing. :rofl: And it would come down to self-monitoring as well, for example recording whilst not at home, just to be sure.

It just doesn't quite sit well with me that continuation of a permit for a third dog is subject to complaints, a third dog should be treated the same once approved. I don't know if I'm making sense today.

Edit - I am not saying complaints shouldn't be taken seriously though, or that I think complaints are not valid. They are, but I would hate to think it is a case of one strike you're out for the third dog.

Edited by Emm

Knox council needs a permit. But when i got a foster told me if I had the dog under 3 months it was fine mainly because they didn't want to deal with the paper work because each new foster would have to go through the process of getting a permit and in all likelyhood the dog would be gone before they got the paper work done