What Type Of Breed Would Be Good?

Millie12

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh- and are you first- time owners, or have you had dogs before ( as adults) ?

I have grown up with dogs my whole life family wise. Before i moved to Nt looked after my OH's parents schnauzer for 3 yrs.

I have already done a lot of research on breeds, training etc but just wanted other owners and breeders opinions.

Living in the NT- you may want to avoid the short-nosed breeds, as they can have problems with breathing/staying cool in hot weather.

Good advice. Even tho' numbers of people do own short-nosed dogs in tropical conditions....the owners have to be that bit more mindful.

So I'd say work thro' your non-short-nosed preferences.

I'd suggest a lappie (yes, I know you are in NT, but we have lappies doing nicely in Townsville) - but the offlead you would need to work on - mind you, that is the case with any dog. They tend to be too friendly, and want to say hello to everyone. Otherwise, they would tick your boxes.

sounds like an SBT (staffordshire bull terrier/staffy) might suit..

Running randomly around a sports oval with a person who doesn't have a lot of dog experience, er - please don't! :o

Well i hope i am smarter then to let a dog off the lead that hasnt been trained to recall...To run around the oval is something i would work towards. If it means only playing zoomies in the backyard and walking him on a lead for the first couple of years, well so be it.

Living in the NT- you may want to avoid the short-nosed breeds, as they can have problems with breathing/staying cool in hot weather.

Good advice. Even tho' numbers of people do own short-nosed dogs in tropical conditions....the owners have to be that bit more mindful.

So I'd say work thro' your non-short-nosed preferences.

You can own them here, definitely, but they do need more time inside with the AC than other breeds seem to, they definitely feel it more. I suppose it depends whether you want a dog that spends most of it's time inside or out.

sounds like an SBT (staffordshire bull terrier/staffy) might suit..

Running randomly around a sports oval with a person who doesn't have a lot of dog experience, er - please don't! :o

Well i hope i am smarter then to let a dog off the lead that hasnt been trained to recall...To run around the oval is something i would work towards. If it means only playing zoomies in the backyard and walking him on a lead for the first couple of years, well so be it.

Millie - it's not about the recall it's about the way most Staffords react when confronted by other dogs who may not be as well trained as yours or which are down-right rude.

sorry meant Cavalier King Charles, my OH started this thread this morning and thinks that because we have a small yard we have to have a small dog, which i dont htink is entirely true,correct me if im wrong. Have edited original post.

Small yard = lower energy dog or a lot of exercise and stimulation. Size isn't the best measure of that. If you're going to be living in a fairly high density residential situation a lower level of reactivity in a dog would be something to strive for too.

Is body corporate OK with this? A lot aren't. :o

sorry meant Cavalier King Charles, my OH started this thread this morning and thinks that because we have a small yard we have to have a small dog, which i dont htink is entirely true,correct me if im wrong. Have edited original post.

Small yard = lower energy dog or a lot of exercise and stimulation. Size isn't the best measure of that. If you're going to be living in a fairly high density residential situation a lower level of reactivity in a dog would be something to strive for too.

Thanks for the information... Where i live(ayers rock) is very small population of people(500) I live in housing that allows me to have dogs. Where i live the speed limit is 40kms and one of the quietest places in Australia, on the residential side of things:)

Thanks for the information... Where i live(ayers rock) is very small population of people(500) I live in housing that allows me to have dogs. Where i live the speed limit is 40kms and one of the quietest places in Australia, on the residential side of things:)

Any dingos in the area...? A small dog outside is a meal to those guys. :smashpc:

Any dingos in the area...? A small dog outside is a meal to those guys. :o

Wouldnt say exactly pure breed dingo's but a cross of dingo and something...Havent heard of attacks to people or dogs but they are out there.. Thats why it will be inside during the day and sleep inside at night.Only outside when someone is home and then it is to hot.

Ok, so you'll be looking to a dog that tends to be quiet indoors but is capable of plenty of exercise outdoors.

That says "sighthound" to me, probably starting with a mature dog.

A retired racing greyhound good be a good match. :laugh:

That sums it up pretty good, and something not to small:) Im an owner of racing greyhounds so will prob have a few of them later in life after they finish racing, so will pass with them for the moment...

Whippets are great dogs to have inside, no doggy smell not much coat.

They do required a good run (when an adult) daily and lots of training regarding recalls, starting from the first day they come home.

The do night handle extreme heat or cold so will need to be inside under aircon when hot and wearing a dog coat and inside when cold.

They are non-aggressive as a general rule and I find them very easy to have around.