Tips For Introducing A Dog To A New Baby!

~Aimee~

Hi,

We are planning on TTC our first baby in about a years time. Currently we have a cavalier who is just over 19 months old. She's our baby and is spoilt rotten. She's an indoors dog when we are at home and stays outside when we are out. She also sleeps with us in our bed. When the new baby comes home, I don't neccessarily want to change this. We like having her in our bed and she likes sleeping there too.

The only concern I have is that they baby will be in our room in his/her bassinet for the first 6 months. Do you think this is going to be a problem? Will it be ok for our dog to sleep in our bed, while the baby is asleep in our room also? I don't want to banish her out of the bedroom as sleeping with us is all she has ever known.

Also we are thinking of getting another dog as a playmate for Ruby but are not sure for a multitude of reasons. Has anyone walked 2 dogs with a pram? How hard is it to do?

I actually planned on walking Ruby with the pram a few months before the baby is born so I can get used to walking Ruby beside a pram before the baby comes home. I didn't want to have to sort this all out when I had a newborn in the pram. I'd rather she learn how to walk with a pram before the baby comes home.

For those of you that have only one dog and a newborn, how did you find your dog coped when the baby came home? We are thinking of getting a second dog now, so that when we need to spend more time with the baby, Ruby still has some company.

FIrstly congratulations.

I had indoor/outdoor dogs when my first child arrives. Personally if you plan to have your child in your room with you and you breast feed (hope you choose to :) ) it probably isn't a good idea to have your dog on your bed now. There will be times when you are so tired you'll pop baby into bed with you, pop her on and you'll all fall asleep. Not a good idea to throw a dog into this mix. It will get quite caotic and hygiene (Cavs shed something chronic at times) is very important for a new born. Night feeds will wake your dog and she/he would probably sleep better in a quite out of the way place. No need for the whole household to be awake for the 3 hourly feeds and changes. Oh the fun part! Make sure dad does his bit though!

When you bring bub home let your dog hav a sniff and smell her/him. Include your dog in family time in the lounge room/family areas. Let her come into your room when you go in there and have the dog involved in outings and walks where possible.

Cavaliers are lovely family dogs but be careful when baby gets mobile. The dog may get cornered or hurt by bub and could retaliate and even hurt your baby. Even the most tolerant breeds should still not be left with young children. And never trust ANY dog alone with a small child, no matter how trustworthy they are.

Edited by LizT

Thanks so much for your replies. They are helping so much already.

Mita, that's a great link. Thanks, I've saved it to my bookmarks :)

LizT, where do your dogs sleep? How old is your baby?

We currently have a baby gate up at the entrance to our study. It looks into the main living area. I plan on leaving the gate there until our baby arrives as this room will then become the playroom. Ruby already knows she's not allowed in there unless she's invited to come in. I plan on being able to leave bub in their on their own for tummy time/play time without Ruby getting in his/her way. That way I can also feel safe to leave the bby on his/her own for sort periods and know Ruby isn't going to annoy or hurt the baby.

I would simply start Ruby sleeping elsewhere simply due to the unknown.

Simply look at all the things she does now & look to the alternative.

Does she spend independent time outside on her own?and im not referring to turning her to an outside dog but enabling her to be more functional on her own,able to amuse herself without you when the time is required.

We always suggest pushing the pram & working on the sit/wait commands.

Baby crying CD,s to allow Ruby to hear the horrid noise without panicking.

What room will the baby spend most of its time in??

Will it be mainly yours or simply only at night??

I would be reducing the access to any rooms now that she has that may suddenly be a no go latter on.

Ie no doubt there will be times you will havea nap when baby is alseep,what will you want Ruby to do ??

Does Ruby have a doggy door or easy access outside or is she reliant on you to open doors/speak to be let out??

In the car if you dont use a doggy seat belt or the likes then start now as you dont want Ruby jumping on baby

Thanks showdog for your reply.

Ruby does spend independant time outside on her own. Lots of times when we are home, she likes to go and sleep out in her kennel outside rather than sleep in her bed inside or on the couch. I always thought it was weird that she prefered her kennel to her inside bed but she must think it feels comfy and secure.

We don't have a dog door yet but we want to get one soon. Atm she either barks or scratched at the door to get let out.

I'm not sure yet which room the baby will spend most of its time in. It will be in our room in his/her bassinet at night and most likely his/her own room during daytime sleeps. Baby may end up having some daytime sleeps in the bassinet too. Not sure yet.

When I have naps now, Ruby always comes and naps with me in my bed too. I'd really like to keep her sleeping in our bed with us. Do you think that's not going to work?

Ruby already has a harness for drives in the car and she is fantastic at just sleeping during car rides so I'm not worried at all about her jumping up on the baby in the car. I'd have them on opposite sides of the car anyway.

The only rooms she's be restricted in would be the playroom and that already has a baby gate on it anyway.

Hi,

We are planning on TTC our first baby in about a years time. Currently we have a cavalier who is just over 19 months old. She's our baby and is spoilt rotten. She's an indoors dog when we are at home and stays outside when we are out. She also sleeps with us in our bed. When the new baby comes home, I don't neccessarily want to change this. We like having her in our bed and she likes sleeping there too.

The only concern I have is that they baby will be in our room in his/her bassinet for the first 6 months. Do you think this is going to be a problem? Will it be ok for our dog to sleep in our bed, while the baby is asleep in our room also? I don't want to banish her out of the bedroom as sleeping with us is all she has ever known.

Also we are thinking of getting another dog as a playmate for Ruby but are not sure for a multitude of reasons. Has anyone walked 2 dogs with a pram? How hard is it to do?

I actually planned on walking Ruby with the pram a few months before the baby is born so I can get used to walking Ruby beside a pram before the baby comes home. I didn't want to have to sort this all out when I had a newborn in the pram. I'd rather she learn how to walk with a pram before the baby comes home.

For those of you that have only one dog and a newborn, how did you find your dog coped when the baby came home? We are thinking of getting a second dog now, so that when we need to spend more time with the baby, Ruby still has some company.

I am due in a week and a half. I got another dog a month ago.

Both are treated like dogs and crated trained. Charlie (whippet) was removed from bed sneaking around 5 months ago and now sleeps indoors with the Shepherd.

Here is your problem:

"She's our baby and is spoilt rotten. She's an indoors dog when we are at home and stays outside when we are out. She also sleeps with us in our bed. When the new baby comes home, I don't neccessarily want to change this. We like having her in our bed and she likes sleeping there too"

She is not a baby she is a dog and has to be treated like one, that has to change now.

I insisted on getting another dog prior to the new baby for many reasons, but firstly so it can go through the transitions slowly with us and both can learn the Rules from the start. Her breeder was totally supportive of reasons for getting her now, as was the breeder who didnt grow me a pup in time :)

Not hard to get a dog back down off its high horse if you start now. Snother dog is a good idea, but remember finances will be short for a while.

MDBA had some good notes on this, also I have on ocassion heard Erny talk a bit about this too.

Another thing my daughter and her hubby did while Mum and Bub were still in hospital was for Dad to bring home the babys washing and let the dog smell it.

They had absolutely no problems, and now have their second daughter.

The dog, a lab, is just beautiful with them, but of course they are very careful, and they made sure that the dog never missed out on his daily walks, the baby just went along too.

I was initially more worried about the cats than the dog.

Worried that the cats would jump into the baby's cot and smother them.

I ended up putting a hook on the door and ring on the door frame ( if you know what I mean) so I could leave the door ajar but not enough for the cats to get in.

None of our sons slept in our room.

Here is your problem:

"She's our baby and is spoilt rotten. She's an indoors dog when we are at home and stays outside when we are out. She also sleeps with us in our bed. When the new baby comes home, I don't neccessarily want to change this. We like having her in our bed and she likes sleeping there too"

She is not a baby she is a dog and has to be treated like one, that has to change now.

I insisted on getting another dog prior to the new baby for many reasons, but firstly so it can go through the transitions slowly with us and both can learn the Rules from the start. Her breeder was totally supportive of reasons for getting her now, as was the breeder who didnt grow me a pup in time :laugh:

Not hard to get a dog back down off its high horse if you start now. Snother dog is a good idea, but remember finances will be short for a while.

I agree, We have a 4 month old baby girl, and we changed the rules early on in the pregnancy. We also got another dog which were planning on anyway. Both are kept in the one area of the house, they know the boundaries and they have interaction time with the baby and she loves them.

Don't confuse the dog by treating it like a baby as it will only casue issues down the track. dog sleeps on dog bed, eats from dog bowl, gets treated like a dog all the time. Of course you must reward the dog with lots of play time and affection so he still feels like part of the family.

I wouldn't feel comfortable sleeping a new baby and dog in the same room especially if dog is on the bed. You have to carefully supervise dog and baby interactions, it is hard to do this in the middle of the night when you do a feed and you are so tired.

My dogs sleep in their crates, are allowed in with interaction with toddler under supervision. If not supervised, dogs are in crates or outside.

Thanks so much for your replies. They are helping so much already.

Mita, that's a great link. Thanks, I've saved it to my bookmarks :laugh:

LizT, where do your dogs sleep? How old is your baby?

We currently have a baby gate up at the entrance to our study. It looks into the main living area. I plan on leaving the gate there until our baby arrives as this room will then become the playroom. Ruby already knows she's not allowed in there unless she's invited to come in. I plan on being able to leave bub in their on their own for tummy time/play time without Ruby getting in his/her way. That way I can also feel safe to leave the bby on his/her own for sort periods and know Ruby isn't going to annoy or hurt the baby.

Aimee, my first Baby is 20 in May and is 6ft 4 inches. He spent a lot of time in our bed and the dogs slept in their beds in the laundry at that time. I have two other babies they are 17 and 9 now.

My current dogs often sleep on my bed during the day as I am a shift worker but they sleep in their own crates at night as it was getting crowded and they chose not to hop on the bed during the hot summer nights. I think they found our body heat too uncomfortable.

It's great you'll have an area to keep off limits for baby to have floortime. Very important for development and fun to boot!

Edited by LizT

Dogs are very adaptable. I can't offer you any baby related advice because I don't have kids, but I can say that if you start re-training Ruby now, she will quickly get used to sleeping somewhere else and it really won't affect her much, if at all.

The important thing is that you make any changes to her routine well before the baby comes home, so that Ruby doesn't associate the changes with the new baby, and also so that adjustments can be made gradually with no rush.

best for you to organise an area for baby where you hang out most. Even 2 and 4 year olds still drag their toys out and want to play where you are. If youre cooking dinner, baby will be in the same room, probably on the floor or in the pram. Same in the lounge where your TV is. Kids need and want to be with you, you will find that your toy room is just an extra storage space for the first 3 years, unless you want to sit in there all day.

That is where crate training is perfect in this situation. You will find the outside thing the biggest issue, hanging clothes on the line, or crawl time or tree watching time. If our kids have friends over and a running around like idiots as they will do, I will chuck them in the crate. The Shepherd has decided to use the slide and trampoline with or without the kids so I have had to put a stop to that quickly. When the kids are finished, the nutbags will go and use the trampoline, cubby and racing strip as they please. If i cant be bothered being outside with the kids and want to window watch, then the dogs are crated. Too easy.

Crate training solves so many problems, and prevents them. Better that then your dog being confined to a space that restricts viewing and inclusiveness.

Edited by Chewbacca

I'm due in 11 weeks, and we have 2 dogs, 3 cats & 4 bunnies. I've been doignt he following things:

Spending time ignoring the dogs....not to say they are neglected at all, but they will have to get used to me being absorbed with caring for a newborn. Hubby works away, so often there is just me & them at home. I don't spend all my time with them, and they have got used to just having to hang out on their own at home sometimes (both inside with me & outside when I ma home. They aren't active dogs, and don't give a stuff about having to lie around whether I'm there or not!!! :cry:

Making certain rooms off limits now...they previously had run of the whole house, but over the last few months we have made what will be the nursery off limits. They just aren't allowed in there anymore, so won't have an association with being "banished" and the baby.

Getting them used to kids...I spent some time seeing how they reacted to crying babies, grabby toddlers, screamy feral school age kids etc, more so I could guage reactions & see what areas we might need to work on. Thankfully they seem to be fine in all situations (they were both adult rescues, so no idea what their history with kids is)

Making sure certain training is up to scratch...eg "leave it" & "back off" etc......we are also going to begin training walking next to the pram this week.

Getting the dogs & cats out of the bedroom. We have 2 dogs & three cats who are allowed in the bedroom. I have slowly been weaning them off this because we plan to have bubby in our room, and I feel personally I will sleep better (hah!!! Sleep??? Newborn???LOL) knowing there is no risk of anyone accidentally knocking the bassinet over, or me tripping over a sleeping dog or cat in the night with a tiny baby in my arms.

Getting the dogs used to gentle tail/ear/fur tugging. The baby will be watched like a hawk with the dogs, and taugjht how to behave properly as it grows, but toddlers do grab handfuls of lovely soft fur & accidentaly poke eyes & ears etc, so I have been building up the dogs to getting used to this kind of thing, and making it a positive experience for them, so that if down the track crawling infant grabs a tail, it won't be such a huge deal for the dog, while I intercept said infant!!!!

Once the baby is home, it's important to get some positive associations with the baby, so rather than telling a dog off for trying to have a nosey while you are nappy changing or feeding, (negative association with the baby), give them somehting else to do...eg want to change the baby in peacre? chuck the dog a pigs ear.....dog thinks..."I love that baby....I get pigs ears when mum does stuff with the baby" win-win all round.

Edited by Willow