Where Do You Buy Your Lenses?

becandcharch

All my lenses come from the US as at the times I've wanted to buy the Australian prices compared to the US prices were totally ridiculous. Shop around and double check as things may be closer right now thanks the strength of the dollar (which is falling again, I see).

FWIW Canon lenses are under international warranty, if you care about such things.

www.bhphoto.com -> can't go wrong with them. not always the cheapest though.

www.adorama.com -> sometimes have very nice prices & always seem to have a lot of stock

www.sigma4less.com (also does Canon & Nikon lenses) -> all my lenses have come quickly & been perfect. Great prices.

www.canogacamera.com -> can have some good deals

www.calumetphoto.com/ -> can have some good deals

My absolute favourite to deal with -> Allen's Camera These guys are soooo good. Sometimes not always the cheapest so I tend to use them when I have questions because I'm happy to pay a little more for customer service.

One more question. What is the difference between Sigma and Canon? Is it a quality issue?

Ok with the MACK first - it is basically extra warranty... quite cheap for lenses, but covers you for mechanical wear and can be up to 7 years, well past the manufacturers warranty. Oh and it is international :D

Sigma and Canon - well it depends on the lens... some are better in the Canon built, some are better in the Sigma built (e.g. Sigma 10-20 is the best at this range, but the Canon 70-200 L is slightly better than the Sigma, although 3x the price!)

Google, photo forums, your wallet and end results will decide for you :eek:

Sigma and Canon - well it depends on the lens... some are better in the Canon built, some are better in the Sigma built (e.g. Sigma 10-20 is the best at this range, but the Canon 70-200 L is slightly better than the Sigma, although 3x the price!)

Funny you should say this, 70-200 f2.8 L IS is the baby I want to buy!

Thanks for the advice :)

Really depends on the lens for quality.

And Sigma make lenses Canon don't (30 1.4 for instance) and vice versa.

Often there will be similar focal length choices:

Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS - $1799 - I have this and love it, though it's heavy and really stands out.

Sigma 50-150 2.8 - I have this and it's a gem for the price

Sigma 70 -200 2.8 II EX DG HSM AF $799 ... I have a friend who shoots in crappy lighting all the time and adores this lens. I've never tried it but those I know who have it see no reason at all to spend the extra on the Canon version.

I love my Canon version but if I were buying new today, I'd be doing serious research on the sigma version to see if any of the "negatives" that it might have were things that would bother me or if they were worth the extra US $1000. Hell, I'd probably simply buy the Sigma and if it didn't live up to what I wanted I'd onsell it and get the Canon :)

Whilst I am a Nikon user, the Canon doesnt really go for me, but my friends use Canons so I know their experiences, but just to give you an idea of my lens setup

Sigma 18-50 F2.8 = Went for this one over the Nikon as it is faster and cheaper and MACRO focus is closer. However, I would probably have gone the Tamron now which is the 17-50 because it is slightly better at the 2.8 end, but once you go to f4 they are all about the same. Either way the $500 compared to the Nikon price was a hands down.

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM II = as per kja's friend, I love this and it is the main lens on my camera. I do a lot of sports / pet photography and this is great. Low light is awesome... coupled with my monopod it is better than the Nikon 70-200 with VR and $800 compared to $2000 is an easier hit on the wallet... and it focuses on my D80 (and soon to be D300s) faster :)

Nikon 50mm 1.8 = easy purchase, best in its class :(

Save up for that 70-200 L lens, it'll do wonders for your already impressive portfolio :thumbsup: Although, I can't recommend the Sigma enough.... I think on certain Canon bodies it'll focus faster, but get to a shop, try them both on your body and see which one works best for you :mad

Thanks again both of you.

I have done a bit of reading and plan to do some more.

From what I can gather, the Canon is a better lens but what I need to determine is if it is $1000 better.

I dont know a lot about IS but the Sigma doesnt have this. The main purpose for this lens is shooting trithlons so maybe this would be a plus.

I really dont want to bother with getting the sigma and selling it to upgrade to Canon if I change my mind.

I will pop in to a shop and have a play with both. Either way its a little bit EXCITING!!

Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS - $1799 - I have this and love it, though it's heavy and really stands out.

Ooh please tell me where it is selling for this price.

Ooh please tell me where it is selling for this price.

These guys are

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod1638.htm

I really dont want to bother with getting the sigma and selling it to upgrade to Canon if I change my mind.

I will pop in to a shop and have a play with both. Either way its a little bit EXCITING!!

I had exactly the same thoughts when I was buying mine :)

I went in with my D80 and tried the Nikon, the Sigma and the Tamron... all 70-200 f2.8 lenses, only the Nikon had VR (their version of IS).

In the end I still went for the cheaper... and I'll tell you why....

A Monopod :(

IS (or VR) effectively gives you stability of 2 stops of exposure... so rather than it being 1/200 of a second, you can use 1/50 of a second with the same exposure. A Monopod will give you something very similar. In fact, most lens manufactures recommend you turn VR off if you are using a monopod or a tripod for this exact reason... it is wasted :thumbsup:

So I went for the $1000 cheaper lens and a $100 monopod.

Yes I have to carry it around with me, but I get more stability in my photos (and it is great when you are standing around for hours as you can securely balance your camera on the monopod - just don't completely trust it, always tied the straps around your arm/neck!)

OS/IS/VR is all good, but none of my lenses have it because the monopod goes everywhere with me, or I shoot in enough light to adjust the shutter speed or the ISO to keep enough light to the sensor to make sure the shutter speed is always faster than the longest zoom on the lens when I dont have either 'pod :mad

Sorry about that... ended up going into a camera lesson!

From what I can gather, the Canon is a better lens but what I need to determine is if it is $1000 better.

I dont know a lot about IS but the Sigma doesnt have this. The main purpose for this lens is shooting trithlons so maybe this would be a plus.

Bec I have the Sigma 70 - 200. If you want to have a play with mine you are quite welcome.

Bec I have the Sigma 70 - 200. If you want to have a play with mine you are quite welcome.

Wow anniek that is so nice of you!! :) Really really nice of you!

I may just take you up on that, I get down your way quite a bit. Should I leave you one of my dogs as a deposit? :(