Anything Else I Need?

Sayly

I have a list of things I have and still need to get for our whelping kit. Our bitch we plan on breeding is hopefully being mated during her next season (6 months away) but I want to know what I have forgotten from this "to get" list. I do have some things already on this list though.

• Whelping box
  • 1g - 10kg Scales
  • ID bands
  • Digital Thermometer
  • Whelping Health Records & Contracts Package (from whelpingsupplies.com)
  • One pair of Stainless Steel Scissors
  • One Hemostat
  • Alcohol Swabs
  • Dental Floss Unwaxed
  • Lubricant
  • Lots of newspapers
  • Pen and note pad
  • Heat pad
  • Heat lamp spare heat lamp bulb.
  • Back up torch
  • Syringe
  • Lots of towels
  • Bin bags and kitchen rolls (clean up)
  • Several vet beds to fit box (at least 4)
  • A room thermometer attached to the inside of the whelping box at puppy level.
  • Nutrigel
  • Feding bottles and teats
  • Wombaroo or evap milk
  • Nutridrops or brandy. Gives flat puppies a boost
  • Calcium for the bitch whilst whelping
  • Nasal Aspirator
  • Beef liver incase of fading puppies
  • Protexin

And of course camera, coffee and mentors and vet on speed dial!

Mum will have the first couple of weeks off, and everything going right time-wise, I will then be home on exam study and only have to leave for a few hours for a couple of exams, then I'm on holidays so there will be someone around for most of the pups 8 weeks.

Edited by Lyndsay

Cotton thread to tie off the umblical cord if it bleeds.

Beef liver incase of fading puppies (can do a search for the recipe)

Protexin

Also I would forget the wombaroo and get a few cans of evaporated milk (1 tin of milk to 1 tin of rain water).

It is a lot easier, cheaper, lasts for days and better than wombaroo in my opinon.

Leanne

Edited by Ozstar Kennels

Thanks Leanne. :driving:

I have down unwaxed dental floss instead of cotton for the cords.

I'll do a search for the beef liver recipe now. :provoke:

Just gone and looked up Protexin - this will sound stupid but what type? http://www.protexin.com/vet/products.php?id=4

I was going with Wombaroo instead of evaporated milk because evaporated milk contains lactose? There seems to be such differing opinions on the best milk substitute, very confusing! :mad

A spare room to put it all in :driving:

What on earth are you going to use latex gloves for ?

Dettol, bin bags,syringe & paper towels are a bit puzzling too.

The Brandy is a good idea. Good for the nerves but don't drink it until its all over just in case you need to drive to the vet.

Good Luck with your babies. Hope it all goes smoothly.

:driving: Thankfully we have a spare room where what we already have is in. :provoke:

I've been thinking about ditching the gloves idea if I have the detol and am washing my hands fairly often. Paper towels basically for cleaning up/wiping up.

Syringe incase I need to syringe calcium to mum.

Bin bags for stuff like dirty newspapers! We only have a small bin inside and never use big bin bags so it's more on there to prompt my mind before a litter.

This list is compiled of several lists I've found online, I want to be as prepared as possible. Trust me to go overboard. :mad Still I'd rather have something I won't use than not having something I want/need at the time.

Its a bit scary 1st time. Makes me think of movies where someone goes into labour & someone else says

Boil heaps of water. Hello What for ? Turkish bath.

If you wash your hands in between helping mum out I would just wash them in plain water & not put disinfectant of any type on them. This will go onto the puppies when you handle them & on the mum in places where there should not be any chemicals.

As pups will have blood, fluid & messy stuff on them anyway, which is all perfectly natural & normal & which mum will lick clean automatically, usually, clean hands are safer & just fine.

Thanks! :driving:

I have helped a couple of breeders out when whelping a bitch and they have both been so different, one is much more involved and hands on while the other is much more relaxed, it's been a great experience and I'm glad to have been so involved with different 'types' of breeder. Hoping I will get to see a couple more litters before our girl has her bubs.

I was going with Wombaroo instead of evaporated milk because evaporated milk contains lactose? There seems to be such differing opinions on the best milk substitute, very confusing!

I have been using evaporated milk now 15 years and have hand raised many pups (most have been other peoples) and topped up pups with never a problem.

I helped a friend out a few years ago with their litter, they where using wombaroo, my guys where fatter and healthier than theirs. We both fed the same amount at every few hours.

Gloves are a good idea incase you have to do an internal on your bitch or a pup is stuck.

Leanne

- Cut up old towels into puppy-sized squares, this will mean you need less towels, and there will be less to fumble around with if you need to rub a puppy. We did this and then just chucked the towel squares into a plastic garbage bag, rather than washing them. It was a good excuse to buy new ones LOL.

- Ziva ate every placenta :driving: she was quick! So she vomited and the paper towels came in handy then :mad

- I also gave her a syringe full of Calcium Sandoz between each puppy. I also had another syringe to give her water with for the first day or so after whelping as she was reluctant to drink.

- a digital clock (I used my mobile phone) to record birth time.

- go for a baby bottle/newborn teat rather than a pet nursing bottle (several breeders suggested this to me- fortunately I didn't need to supplement but I have given my guys the teats to suck from both types and they much prefer the human baby one!!)

- We used a polar fleece blanket to cover the pups with (in a plastic storage box) when we took them down to the vet etc.

- I found unscented baby wipes to be very handy, both for refreshing yourself with (LOL) and for wiping a pup down if mum's a bit lazy in that department (Ziva :provoke: )

- whelping notes & any books bookmarked to the appropriate pages!

- I didn't have brandy but did have a spray-bottle of Rescue Remedy :) I made good use of it :)

We also had a card table set up close to the whelping box (while leaving access on 3 sides in case it was needed), with everything laid out so it was easy to find. Didn't end up using half the stuff (Latex gloves LOL, hemostats, scissors, dental floss etc but glad it was there).

Thanks again Ozstar. :provoke: Evap milk sounds easier and may well be better then. Thanks.

SpikesPuppy - where I plan on having the whelping box is right next to a desk I can use. :driving:

I forgot to add the blankets for the pups if travelling, already have those.

Thanks. :mad

A packet of terry towelling nappies is a great addition. VERY useful items. I still have a couple from when my 18 year old was born. They're a little threadbare in places but still going strong and the perfect size for mopping up puppies and other spills.

I'd probably add a couple more pairs of haemostats. I always clamp the cords in two places before tying off and cutting. Useful in case one pair slips which is always possible with a wriggler if you don't quite get it on the right spot. And of course, if you have a couple of puppies arrive in quick succession you can clamp off the cords first and then come back and cut and tie when things die down a bit.

Don't laugh but for transporting neonates I use a small eski (without a lid or with lid chocked open with blue tack). My vet was blown away when I rocked up carrying the puppies in the eski but quickly commented how clever it was. Eskis are insulated so will keep the whelps warm if you put them in with a hot brick or a hot water bottle or if it is particularly hot then you can put in a cold brick or a cool pad. It is also solid sided so they won't accidentally get squished if mum tries to climb on top (some girls do attempt this! :laugh:).

I use either Dettol or Isopropyl Alcohol (depending upon what is at hand) to put my instruments in during a whelping, either stand them "nose" down in a jar full or alternatively lay them flat in a tray. And my mentor used to dab a bit of either on the end of the cord once it had been cut. I do sometimes but I usually forget.

When you are more experienced, you'll find the gloves useful for internal examination to see how far the cervix is open and what part of a puppy is presenting if there are difficulties or delay.

Oh and don't forget a small box with a heat pad or water bottle to put puppies in between births if mum is agitated and there is a risk that she will tread on one. I have found that some girls are so anxious about standing on a puppy that they will stall labour so removing the puppies when birth is imminent and putting them in a small box inside the whelping box itself can reassure them and allow them to get on with the job.

Thanks. :mad

The eski is a really good idea! :eek: Wouldn't have thought of that.

I have two terry towelling nappies left over from when my brother was born but Dad's used the rest! I think I'll grab another pack. Sounds stupid but places like Big W and Target would sell them in the baby department wouldn't they? Never had anything to do with babies of the human kind. :eat:

I have a small box already, it's got the start of my whelping kit in it at the moment. Still need heating pads/hot water bottles.

Will add a couple more haemostats to the list.

Will add a bucket to the list. :eek: Bit sad if I puked, I'm studying to be a vet. :cheer:

I have a list of things I have and still need to get for our whelping kit. Our bitch we plan on breeding is hopefully being mated during her next season (6 months away) but I want to know what I have forgotten from this "to get" list. I do have some things already on this list though.

• Whelping box
  • 1g - 10kg Scales
  • ID bands
  • Digital Thermometer
  • Whelping Health Records & Contracts Package (from whelpingsupplies.com)
  • One pair of Stainless Steel Scissors
  • One Hemostat
  • Alcohol Swabs
  • Dental Floss Unwaxed
  • Lubricant
  • Lots of newspapers
  • Pen and note pad
  • Heat pad
  • Heat lamp spare heat lamp bulb.
  • Back up torch
  • Syringe
  • Lots of towels
  • Bin bags and kitchen rolls (clean up)
  • Several vet beds to fit box (at least 4)
  • A room thermometer attached to the inside of the whelping box at puppy level.
  • Nutrigel
  • Feding bottles and teats
  • Wombaroo or evap milk
  • Nutridrops or brandy. Gives flat puppies a boost
  • Calcium for the bitch whilst whelping
  • Nasal Aspirator
  • Beef liver incase of fading puppies
  • Protexin

And of course camera, coffee and mentors and vet on speed dial!

Mum will have the first couple of weeks off, and everything going right time-wise, I will then be home on exam study and only have to leave for a few hours for a couple of exams, then I'm on holidays so there will be someone around for most of the pups 8 weeks.

You got more than I have and I've whelped pups for over 20 years. G'luck with it all.

I love the smell of puppy breath :eek:

I use gloves as the metallic smell of the birthing fluid stays on your hands for AGES!!!

Have you got a spot to sleep with all that gear there??

I use cotton nappies rather than towels to dry off my pups. They are smaller, white and easier to handle and then dump in a bucket of nappysan after each puppy.

ETA: I use clamps if I need to clamp the umbilical cord. I will think of the correct ones later I am sure.

Edited by Mystiqview

You are more sorted then me :D

My bitch comes into season in april and i havent brought a thing yet...

:thumbsup: I haven't bought alot, just making a list so I can do it slowly.

I use gloves as the metallic smell of the birthing fluid stays on your hands for AGES!!!

Have you got a spot to sleep with all that gear there??

I use cotton nappies rather than towels to dry off my pups. They are smaller, white and easier to handle and then dump in a bucket of nappysan after each puppy.

ETA: I use clamps if I need to clamp the umbilical cord. I will think of the correct ones later I am sure.

I've helped with whelpings before and been pretty hands on (got to deliver 1/2 the litter) but I didn't find the smell stayed on my hands? I found alot of it went under my nails though and I spent ages getting it out later, even though my nails are short. :D

I have a bed about 1/2 a metre from where the whelping box will be. :(

I have just picked up some nice cheap hand towels that are white which I can nappysan. :(