Dog Snaps / Bites The Air When Excited

Pete.the.dog

Loulou does this when she sits on the lounge, Im really getting concerned its a real problem.

She isnt excited, she just sits there, it looks like she is trying to catch something.

Gillybob, from memory, this may have something to do with a form of epilepsy .... Someone else is sure to provide more info :)

I believe in the Cavalier air snapping or chasing imaginery flies has been linked to a form of epilepsy. I am not sure if the link is the same in all breeds?? I guess it would be though.

It's absolutely normal and very funny and cute. I have a Cardigan Corgi who has done this since she was 10 weeks old (now 13) whenever she is especially happy or jovial. We laugh with her and she laughs back doggy style and goes "clack" clack" in the air kind of popping her teeth together. Some but not all of her descendants have the same mannerism.

When she is absolutely chuffed with something (like right after a deeelicious dinner) :champagne: she will hop on her bed, roly-poly on her back with joy, going "hurumph hurumph" with satisfied grunts and with the jaws keeping time to the rhythm of her rolls with a loud pop! pop! pop!

Her glee and delight is quite catching. :thumbsup:

Nessa (smooth Collie) does this, and if she is super excited to see YOU she does it while springing above your head from a standstill :rofl:

I love what my Borders do- when they are excited or can smell something really interesting (bitch in season for eg) they chatter their teeth :rofl:

can smell something really interesting (bitch in season for eg) they chatter their teeth

This is a mechanism whereby more scent gets pulled into the mouth to be 'tasted'/smelled in the jacobsen's organ, in the roof of the dog's mouth. :rofl: They may also salivate more and whip this saliva into a froth.