Dog Snaps / Bites The Air When Excited

Pete.the.dog

That title isn't a very good explanation, but when Pete is excited he will snap his jaws a little bit - Not at me or anything like that!! He just does it. So if I come home and he's all excited dancing around the place, he will be snapping a bit while he does it. Do other dogs do this?

It's not troubling me, I'm just curious

one of the joys of having Pete is his consistent excitement to see me.

If that brings you a smile at the end of a day then it's all good! :thumbsup:

Mind you, having multiple dogs,whose delight is running races around the house yard, and chasing the birds/rabbits- ours do have their excitement phase!! They don't miss out on pure enjoyment-

Just not around humans.

Guess I spent too long training dogs who were to be around the sight impaired, and fragile people of this world- where bouncy,excited dogs are a hazard. It became habit to keep them calm around people.

Lilly is a mouther, she will gently (usually) grab you on the hand or arm - we try to discourage it though. She will also flea us when she is really excited too. Patch is a teeth chatterer - so when he gets really excited his teeth chatter together :thumbsup:

Willow certainly does this. Usually it is when she wants you to play with her. She will play bow and then snap the air. She copies me if I do it to her too. It's all in good fun I think. She fleas us too. Especially if you lie in the floor to watch TV. Nutty dog. :D

Bindi does this and my last Sheltie did it too. He used to run up and down the fence when the horses were running around and would snap at the air, we used to call it his "pacman" routine (for those of you old enough to remember "pacman").

Bindi will just look at you and snap at the air and walk in little circles. She doesn't do it all the time, mostly when she is really happy to see someone and/or is trying to get their attention.

Edited by Levi

Zacky our previous rescue newf used to "play the Castanets".....We missed that so much when he went. He had this gorgeous clicking sound when he used to greet us and a low rumbling growly sound when he was happy and showing off his toys

Loulou does this when she sits on the lounge, Im really getting concerned its a real problem.

She isnt excited, she just sits there, it looks like she is trying to catch something.

Gillybob, from memory, this may have something to do with a form of epilepsy .... Someone else is sure to provide more info :D