Dog With Possible 1080 (fox Bait) Poisoning?

Wilderblu

Wilderblu - I know you didn't like to hassle your friends about it too much, but I presume you would have some idea of how the dog is fairing and whether it was 1080 poisoning? I've been thinking of this poor dog over the last couple of days.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys. She is continually improving. I'm just waiting on a phone call myself.

They got a heap of tests back today and it doesn't look like 1080 poisoning thankfully altough it looks like she has some organ damage.

Stay posted.... I'll be back. :laugh:

Yes she looks to be over the worst. Vet thinks it's some kind of bait or poison. Hopefully she will be going home tomorrow.

Eating and drinking well and tests came back today with all good for her organs! :(

I am soooooo relieved and I thank you guys for your kind words and thoughts!

She is 1 very lucky girl....... a couple of other dogs not so far away have come in with same symptoms (vomiting, convulsing, temperature etc etc) and have not made it. Some investigating is being done into the cause.

Good news, Wilderblu. My heart sank a couple of times throughout. Pleased to hear things are improving and I hope they continue that way.

Yes - I would imagine anyone in SA would be wanting to know what location you are talking about, for their own dogs' sakes. I hope the cause can be determined soon so that steps might be taken to safeguard against further occurrences.

Agree with the 1080 baiting, it is very inhumane, friends of ours lost their gorgeous little scruffer because he liked to visit the neighbours husky to play & they decided to throw a bait over, it was the most horrible thing I have ever seen :(

The thing is thousands of other animals are affected by it (especially if it isn't done correctly). Our native animals were here first, we are the intruders. I would love to see the people take some 1080 & then see how they feel! It makes me mad reading a paper that says "our native wildlife increasingly intruding our neighbourhoods" so they should!!

There are plenty of other ways around it, when I was younger, all the farmers & friends around here would go out once or twice a week spotlighting, it was all done humanely, not for inhumane drunken pleasure, just to reduce pest numbers & it worked quite well. I find now everyone is very slack with pest & weed control for that matter. The only people who seem to go out nowadays are drunken idiots who drive all over the road shooting at anything that moves!

Rat & Snail baits should also be banned!

I have been following your story & I am so glad everything is ok!! :)

Agree with the 1080 baiting, it is very inhumane, friends of ours lost their gorgeous little scruffer because he liked to visit the neighbours husky to play & they decided to throw a bait over, it was the most horrible thing I have ever seen :eek:

The thing is thousands of other animals are affected by it (especially if it isn't done correctly). Our native animals were here first, we are the intruders. I would love to see the people take some 1080 & then see how they feel! It makes me mad reading a paper that says "our native wildlife increasingly intruding our neighbourhoods" so they should!!

There are plenty of other ways around it, when I was younger, all the farmers & friends around here would go out once or twice a week spotlighting, it was all done humanely, not for inhumane drunken pleasure, just to reduce pest numbers & it worked quite well. I find now everyone is very slack with pest & weed control for that matter. The only people who seem to go out nowadays are drunken idiots who drive all over the road shooting at anything that moves!

Rat & Snail baits should also be banned!

I have been following your story & I am so glad everything is ok!! :)

I couldnt agree more LMM!!! We live in an area surrounded by National Park, which is great - no hunting shooting (pffft, yeah right!).............. But the majority of the are is baited every so often. 1080 is a WA based plant, which is supposed to not affect the local wildlife :crossfingers: That may possibly have some truth behind it, what about the rest of the continent where 1080 bush isnt indigenous???. I have to agree with everyone that has said it is an unnecessary and evil way to die - whethter you are a loved pet or a feral animal. I worry that a bird may pick up a non eaten bait, carry it and drop it over some poor buggars property and bingo! their dog eats it and dies - and doesnt even have to enter the bait zone to do so :mad

Im so glad your friends dog has recovered wilderblu, I hope they discover what is was and where it came from.

Rat

1080 is a WA based plant, which is supposed to not affect the local wildlife :crossfingers: That may possibly have some truth behind it, what about the rest of the continent where 1080 bush isnt indigenous???.

I would imagine if it's used to kill wallabies, brushtail possums etc in Tasmania it would also kill wallabies, possums and similar animals in WA. It may be derived from a nice safe plant but that's completely different from what results after it's processed into a chemical poison. It effects all animals the same way.

Possibly spottychick, but I for the most part the targets here in WA are carnivores - fox, feral cat and wild dog.

The only good thing is that from what I know roos and wallabies dont eat sausages (which is what the 1080 is put into). However there is evidence that Numbats eat decaying carcasses, dont know what their tolerance to 1080 is and they are quite endangered!

I have also just read that DEC can bait within 5meters of boundary fences and 150 of dwellings!!! Great!Our house is very close to our boundary - where they can legally bait :crossfingers:

Rat

South of Adelaide around Kangarilla area. It's only heresay at the moment so I know nothing more than a few dogs ate something that killed them in that area. The dog in OP was a few suburbs over. I don't think any dog is safe roaming in country areas for more than just poisoning reason.

Many people in my area (Mount Compass) bait for foxes as the Alexandrina council issues land holders with them.

Please everyone keep your dogs close to home!!

Possibly spottychick, but I for the most part the targets here in WA are carnivores - fox, feral cat and wild dog.

The only good thing is that from what I know roos and wallabies dont eat sausages (which is what the 1080 is put into). However there is evidence that Numbats eat decaying carcasses, dont know what their tolerance to 1080 is and they are quite endangered!

I have also just read that DEC can bait within 5meters of boundary fences and 150 of dwellings!!! Great!Our house is very close to our boundary - where they can legally bait :crossfingers:

Rat

yes rat - its what they use for bait that tells you what animals are targetted. For example, around here it's put in things like corn and oats. But all animals are at risk. For example, it is retained in the dying animals vomit, which many animals are likely to come into contact with in one way or another eg if its on the grass that a wallaby is eating.

Rat

yes rat - its what they use for bait that tells you what animals are targetted. For example, around here it's put in things like corn and oats. But all animals are at risk. For example, it is retained in the dying animals vomit, which many animals are likely to come into contact with in one way or another eg if its on the grass that a wallaby is eating.

Whole thing just sux! Its an evil way to exterminate anything! The food chain makes it even more worriesome!!

Rat