Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I was pretty chuffed with Miss Ness's debut UD trial but then I had Ptolomy and Bedazzledx2 standing outside waiting to beat me up if I didn't put in a good performance - never mind the dog :laugh: :D :rofl::rofl: . All we ended up failing was 1 article and the sit up at the end of signals. And she even nailed her glove. Not bad considering when we arrived only 2 weeks earlier she was very very hit and miss with her gloves :rofl: oh and her directed jumping went seriously pearshaped 2 days before the trial - ooops.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go for it Seita.. If you are at all like me then she is way more ready than you are. The only time it would be harmful is if you put too much pressure on her by forgetting that you dont really expect to take out first place. :thumbsup: In this house we are just hoping to not get straight duck eggs from our first few.

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys! If her seek back keeps improving like it has been over the last week or so then I'll feel a whole lot more confident about entering. This morning at the park I dropped it maybe 5 or 6 metres from the start peg, just as she got to the spot where the article was she desperately needed to do a poo, so the poor girl who is somewhat constipated today was there trying to decide whether she should hold the article or leave it on the ground, she would pick it up for a while, then drop it etc while she finished her business and then continued on her way to bring it back to me! :thumbsup: Note to self must let the dog go to the toilet before commencing training!

It's funny, I was soo disheartened last week about her seek back and then over the last few days she's just improved so well, she's started to clue on to the fact that the article is somewhere between me and the peg not behind the peg and will follow the track a short distance forward. I need to work on her following the track further forward but even if she loses the track she sort of zig zags back and forth across where we walked and usually finds it that way. Only at club under flood lights does she lose it a bit of gets confused about where the start peg is/was, might need to find a few more places with flood lights to train out before I do some night time trials!

Although it sounds like you and Huski may need to organise a designated driver ;)

Yes Nic who shall we get to be a DD for us?? LOL :( Can you imagine us together with alcohol??? ;)

I know! We're bad without it!! Except I'm the trial secretary at this trial so I need to be coherent enough to sign yours and Kath Q's quallie cards!! ;) :)

So far we have a unanimous vote for do it.... I'll wait another couple of days to decide. I won't be printing catalogues till next week on wednesday or thursday so I can decide then. LOL It just scares me to think about it!! :eek:

OMG I just realised Daisy and I will be in that catalogue :) Holy crap remind me why I'm doing this again??? :thumbsup::) :D

Yep! I just entered you into my database! Daisy will be entered into it tonight and the actually entry will go in sometime in the next few days! Just a note on your entry though.... put your club on there somewhere in future (something like points to Metro). We run an interclub pointscore thingy each year and each entry gets 1 point plus I think there are extra points for quallies and places etc. I've put you in for metro but other secretaries won't know what club you're from! Caboolture usually wins but the more trialling members from other clubs the better!

You'll have to enter the afternoon trial at Caboolture - then we can both drink and it will be after 12pm so we won't get funny looks :thumbsup:

thanks for the tip re my entry form - I knew I would forget something! Can I say something to the trial secretary at the Caboolture trial or will it be too late by then?

Edited by huski

You'll have to enter the afternoon trial at Caboolture - then we can both drink and it will be after 12pm so we won't get funny looks :)

thanks for the tip re my entry form - I knew I would forget something! Can I say something to the trial secretary at the Caboolture trial or will it be too late by then?

Let them know on the day when you pick up your numbers. I'll probably be entering both Caboolture trials so you can come join me under my gazebo, wine will be your entry fee... maybe a doughnut as well! ;)

You'll have to enter the afternoon trial at Caboolture - then we can both drink and it will be after 12pm so we won't get funny looks :)

Let them know on the day when you pick up your numbers. I'll probably be entering both Caboolture trials so you can come join me under my gazebo, wine will be your entry fee... maybe a doughnut as well! :D

*sigh* I mean if I HAVE to bring wine :thumbsup: ;)

Let them know on the day when you pick up your numbers. I'll probably be entering both Caboolture trials so you can come join me under my gazebo, wine will be your entry fee... maybe a doughnut as well! :D

*sigh* I mean if I HAVE to bring wine :thumbsup: ;)

Oh wow it should be sooo hard for you to do that!!! lol I'll bet you've got a glass in your hand right now! :-P

Okay tap dancing right now as have just got home from a training session and the little darling worked the best she has ever done, even though I did a bit of a tricky seek back in longish grass. The nose was switched to maximum. Total run through with not even the suggestion of an error. Times like these you want to bottle.

Fingers crossed that we haven't left it all on the training paddock and there is some still there for Sunday's debut..

Let them know on the day when you pick up your numbers. I'll probably be entering both Caboolture trials so you can come join me under my gazebo, wine will be your entry fee... maybe a doughnut as well! ;)

Will see you two there as am entered in the second trial. Have to work in the morning darn it..

Will see you two there as am entered in the second trial. Have to work in the morning darn it..

I'm only entered in the PM trial as we are trialling at Metro the next day, you should join us for some wine Kath :D

Okay tap dancing right now as have just got home from a training session and the little darling worked the best she has ever done, even though I did a bit of a tricky seek back in longish grass. The nose was switched to maximum. Total run through with not even the suggestion of an error. Times like these you want to bottle.

Fingers crossed that we haven't left it all on the training paddock and there is some still there for Sunday's debut..

Yay! That's great! Good luck for the weekend!!!

I just went to the park behind my house and did a seek back in the dark, well it is lit but poorly and Ella did two really nice seek backs without any trouble... here's hoping they keep improving like this!

You'll have to enter the afternoon trial at Caboolture - then we can both drink and it will be after 12pm so we won't get funny looks :D

Let them know on the day when you pick up your numbers. I'll probably be entering both Caboolture trials so you can come join me under my gazebo, wine will be your entry fee... maybe a doughnut as well! :thumbsup:

I'm only entered in the PM trial as we are trialling at Metro the next day, you should join us for some wine Kath :thumbsup:

Yep, we'll be easy to spot... well perhaps hear! Bec and I aren't the quietest people out there! :) ;) And I think wine will only exponentially increase that!!

Yep, we'll be easy to spot... well perhaps hear! Bec and I aren't the quietest people out there! ;) :D And I think wine will only exponentially increase that!!

Gee Nic I have no idea what you're talking about :):thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yep, we'll be easy to spot... well perhaps hear! Bec and I aren't the quietest people out there! :D :thumbsup: And I think wine will only exponentially increase that!!

Gee Nic I have no idea what you're talking about :):thumbsup::whee:

Will keep my eyes or is that ears peeled.. ;)

Looking forward to some results from all these 'debuts' soon!!

I'm sitting here contemplating doing some scent discrim work with Polo, haven't touched it for a few days now :( However we had the best training of a different kind on the weekend. We went out to a Field trial for Pointer & Setters (my dogs aren't eligible) and did some training on quail afterwards. Polo was fantastic and I was again just amazed at the instinct in these dogs. Although he wanted to stick quite close to start with and spent time on old scent, he learned to get out and hunt and boy did I know when he was onto birds!!

OK, did some scent discrim as per Ptolomy's instructions. Absolutely hopless! :( He got the wrong one about 80% of the time and when he got the right one it was just chance. So, back to the drawing board! He is having a lot of fun trying though.....

OK, did some scent discrim as per Ptolomy's instructions. Absolutely hopless! :( He got the wrong one about 80% of the time and when he got the right one it was just chance. So, back to the drawing board! He is having a lot of fun trying though.....

OK - something different - go and get 4 or 5 cans out of the pantry and stand them upright 20cm or so apart. Place a scent article somewhere amongst the cans and send him to find it. Then add another article in am ongst the cans and let us know what happens.

OK - something different - go and get 4 or 5 cans out of the pantry and stand them upright 20cm or so apart. Place a scent article somewhere amongst the cans and send him to find it. Then add another article in am ongst the cans and let us know what happens.

If FHRP has success with this method then I think you're onto a real winner here! Because after weeks and weeks of Ruby just not getting it, I brought out the cans and hey presto, we had a scent discrimination! :)