Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

What colour is your dumbbell Huski? Dogs can have trouble seeing red and orange so if they lose sight of it as it lands or in long grass it can be hard for them to sight. I always use a white dumbbell. If you are using a white or light coloured one then it may be worth getting her eyes checked just to be sure.

Seekback I made my own out of black hose with a wooden dowel glued inside....looks like a metal article only made of black rubber. I lose things so I made up 5 of them and rotate using them so it doesn't matter if I lose one.

Thanks Bedazzled - it's just a wooden one (unpainted).

I've had her eye sight checked and it's fine, I just don't think it's very good - she has issues with guard barking at night time when she sees things in the distance i.e. a person standing on their own like she doesn't realise it's actually a person. Once she gets closer and she realises it's a person she stops and wants to sniff them as per usual.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What colour is your dumbbell Huski? Dogs can have trouble seeing red and orange so if they lose sight of it as it lands or in long grass it can be hard for them to sight. I always use a white dumbbell. If you are using a white or light coloured one then it may be worth getting her eyes checked just to be sure.

Seekback I made my own out of black hose with a wooden dowel glued inside....looks like a metal article only made of black rubber. I lose things so I made up 5 of them and rotate using them so it doesn't matter if I lose one.

Thanks Bedazzled - it's just a wooden one (unpainted).

I've had her eye sight checked and it's fine, I just don't think it's very good - she has issues with guard barking at night time when she sees things in the distance i.e. a person standing on their own like she doesn't realise it's actually a person. Once she gets closer and she realises it's a person she stops and wants to sniff them as per usual.

Paint the ends white. Takes two seconds and makes it much easier to see. Its not an eyesight issue really just a simplicity thing. It can be dark and lots of uneven ground that can make it harder on them so anything to decrease the difficulty. First thing I do with a new dumbell.

You can buy all your obedience stuff online at a sight called Morrisons. http://www.obedienceproducts.com/index.html Heres the link hope it works got all my UD stuff here.

Edited by kathq

Thanks heaps Kath! That's where I bought my dumbell and scent discrim stuff from :rofl:

I will try painting the ends white! I was thinking of getting a white plastic dumbell to see if that's any easier for spot but I can't find one anywhere - will give panting it a go :laugh:

At training last night I did some stuff with Kyz but spent most of the time doing stuff with Trixie.

Thought I'd better pull my finger out since she's almost 1 already :)

We can do both type of tunnels no problem :D and did a spread jump and a broad jump, contacts on the baby dog walk.

It amazes me how different she is to Kyzer, she is so quick, I cannot keep up with her already if there are any more than 3 jumps, she's like a freaking Whippet! People with speedy dogs - what do I do? It is new to me :thumbsup: Is it just a matter of gradually training to build up distance work?

She's very keen though, I do enjoy training her, even if I do get puffed out :laugh:

I thought the distractions would be too much for her but she didn't even run off after any running dogs and din't chase after the noise of Millie's iSqueak :laugh:

I hear ya, Amy! Once Millie learns to take proper direction, I am going to have a haaaard time keeping up with her! She was out the end of the chute before I knew it so I was struggling to get my next move in! I loved how she didn't want to go in the chute until I brought out the i-squeak as reward, then she thought it was so much fun that she tried to run through it the wrong way on her return to me and then took herself through it again, i-squeak in mouth! I'm not worried at this stage if she takes herself off like that (I wasn't trying to call her off it for a start so it's not like she ignored me), and I would rather her find it fun and non-scary than struggle to even get her through it :laugh:

Millie's contacts are coming along really well! :thumbsup: So that should help with my issue of trying to keep up with her if I can get her to stop on all contact equipment! And Ruby found her confidence again and was going over the dogwalk :laugh: She's still a bit weary, doesn't charge over it like superwoman like Millie does, but I couldn't be happier with the progress!!

It amazes me how different she is to Kyzer, she is so quick, I cannot keep up with her already if there are any more than 3 jumps, she's like a freaking Whippet! People with speedy dogs - what do I do? It is new to me :laugh: Is it just a matter of gradually training to build up distance work?

sounds like she's doing GREAT!! :thumbsup: where is the video???

As far as the speed thing...just keep running. You will find that you can incorporate some lateral distance as & when her obstacle focus, confidence & experience is where you want it. Dogs have amazing peripheral vision, so long as you are moving in the right direction & your shoulders are telling her where to go, she is likely to keep going the right way, regardless of how fast you are moving. If she gets so far ahead that she is making her own choices, I would let her make them for now. The last thing you want her to do is make her unsure or doubt you. Sounds like she's going to be awesome :laugh: .

Edited by Vickie

And Ruby found her confidence again and was going over the dogwalk :laugh: She's still a bit weary, doesn't charge over it like superwoman like Millie does, but I couldn't be happier with the progress!!

That is such good news :thumbsup:

It amazes me how different she is to Kyzer, she is so quick, I cannot keep up with her already if there are any more than 3 jumps, she's like a freaking Whippet! People with speedy dogs - what do I do? It is new to me :laugh: Is it just a matter of gradually training to build up distance work?

I think I might just have to film amy and miss trixie next week so all her fans can see :laugh:

As far as the speed thing...just keep running. You will find that you can incorporate some lateral distance as & when her obstacle focus, confidence & experience is where you want it. Dogs have amazing peripheral vision, so long as you are moving in the right direction & your shoulders are telling her where to go, she is likely to keep going the right way, regardless of how fast you are moving. If she gets so far ahead that she is making her own choices, I would let her make them for now. The last thing you want her to do is make her unsure or doubt you. Sounds like she's going to be awesome :D .

I was hoping you wuldn't say that ;) :laugh: Just joking. Thanks for the tips Vickie :) I guess once she's doing obstacles properly and has some obstacle discrimination it owuld be easier to send her out to things too.

I think I might just have to film amy and miss trixie next week so all her fans can see :eek:

No :rofl:

It was freezing at training tonight :) . I loved Sophie's attitude she was so enthusiastic :thumbsup: . Banjo yodels in the crate while I train Sophie and the Instructor said he sounds like a turkey :thumbsup: .

theres Nothing quite like a Stafford cry/talk is there ? When i was taking my oldest Stafford to obedience and looking at trialling her in CCD (before the blindness ) she talked the whole way through our training session . we'd be all lined up listening for our instructions and Bebe would be talking away , SFE forget it mum, this is a chance to tell the instructors exactly what ive been thinking sealed with a big kiss and a famous stafford headbutt :sick: ! :welcome::)

:)

Hey just a quick question - what hand signal do you use for stay/wait? I'm asking because last night Sophie went to drop on my wait signal and when I thought about it I thought they are kind of similar. I'm definitely keeping my drop signal(worked hard on training drops :thumbsup: ) which is the common right hand signal most people do and my wait was my right hand 'closing the gate' like I was first taught but maybe I'll do something with my left hand :thumbsup: .

Does anyone have tips on how to make a really easy peasy seesaw for a non-handy person? Or am I asking too much? :thumbsup:

I have a book that shows how to build one but can't remember if it is out of PVC or wood, I'll have a look when I get home. :welcome:

Probably want it to be really sturdy given Ruby's ramp issues :thumbsup: Last thing you want is the frame collapsing with her on there!

You're right tiggy From a dogs point of view the down and the stay signal can appear very similar. I had to modify my stay signal with Brookie for this reason and my stay signal is now very high and more casual and my hand is slightly curled with my index finger giving the signal (but its not pointing) and leaving on my right foot. My down signal is done with the full hand palm down.

Hey just a quick question - what hand signal do you use for stay/wait? I'm asking because last night Sophie went to drop on my wait signal and when I thought about it I thought they are kind of similar. I'm definitely keeping my drop signal(worked hard on training drops :thumbsup: ) which is the common right hand signal most people do and my wait was my right hand 'closing the gate' like I was first taught but maybe I'll do something with my left hand :thumbsup: .

Does anyone have tips on how to make a really easy peasy seesaw for a non-handy person? Or am I asking too much? :welcome:

I have a book that shows how to build one but can't remember if it is out of PVC or wood, I'll have a look when I get home. :)

Probably want it to be really sturdy given Ruby's ramp issues :thumbsup: Last thing you want is the frame collapsing with her on there!

Oh but come on, I LOVE a training challenge!! :thumbsup:

Tiggy to be honest I'm lazy and don't use a hand signal for stay. I just use a voice command and step off on my right leg.

Edited thanks to Bedazzled's pick up :thumbsup:

Edited by huski

Left leg Huski? Isn't that your heeling leg? I agree you don't need a signal...I do a lot of one step stuff. Left leg means dog heels off one step. Right leg means dog stays.

Tiggy to be honest I'm lazy and don't use a hand signal for stay. I just use a voice command and step off on my left leg.

Edited for duh English!!!

Edited by bedazzledx2