Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Thanks Ptolomy, I will give it a break for a few days, however what you have described is almost exactly what I did last night. I did do a few further apart to start with though, so I'll go to straight close to each other.

Edited by FHRP

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:rofl: at Soggybear. And yes tell us more about this special group :rofl: .

Well my special group consists of me, myself, and I. They're a great bunch of people to train with, but they're a negative bunch :)

:rofl:

huski - how excitement :rofl: During stays, I've taught Zig to give me eye contact. It makes him focus on the job at hand instead of looking around and whining at all the lovely dogs he could be playing with :rofl: When I've trained out of sight (so far) he continues to focus on where I've gone but that's normal for him anyway.

FHRP - interesting because I have yet to take the plunge to 2 articles yet. I've been throwing all sorts of articles into long grass one at a time which helped so much to get "find" into Zig's head. Then I did it with his back turned to the long grass etc. I'm currently doing a straight line seek back......not sure what to make of it. He is SO enthusiastic but he bolts out in a straight line and THEN puts his nose down. I think I will need to try him outside home and add one turn to see if he's worked it out.

Go on Tiggy, the leashes are brilliant!

I got mine yesterday and used it at training, it's a great trial leash as it's so light weight but has that grippy strip on it so it's easy to handle. And the purple is very flashy :rofl:

Sent entries off for our first three obedience trials today :):rofl: Hopefully they are the only ones we will need to send off for CCD :p

How exciting :rofl: . I should really get my act together :rofl: .

:) at Soggybear. And yes tell us more about this special group :rofl: .

Well my special group consists of me, myself, and I. They're a great bunch of people to train with, but they're a negative bunch :rofl:

At least they don't argue with you (most of the time :rofl: )

I'm still struggling to get a CCD/Novice 1 minute trial scenario sit stay out of Ruby, she still likes to lay down on occasion if she's hot or bored. Especially the bored part, if she's got nothing to look at while she sits there then she leans down to eat the grass (her favourite pastime!) and that leads to her then forgetting what she's doing and lays down to have a good old munch. Down stays she loves, it means she's closer to the grass :rofl:

The problem I have at the moment with stays is the way Daisy will occasionally bark at me if she's bored :) I'll feel terrible if she does it in the ring!!

Where do you look when you are doing stays with them?

I stare at Jedi's feet! Occasionally I will look at his face just to make sure he's paying attention but I found that if I always looked him in the eye he looked like he was waiting for his next cue! So staring at his feet works for us - he knows he can relax a little. And then I sing my Incy Wincy Spider to myself... :rofl:

I am so unmotivated with Toby right now.

Lincoln has a new fav game, when is is on leash going for a walk he will watch the ground in case you accidentaly kick something so that he can pounce on it. He also thinks anything laying on the ground ahead of you is something you kicked and will run up to it and dive on it, towing said handler along. :rofl: I should probably do some leash training, he has been on one for a walk a total of about 5 times in almost 7 months of his life. :rofl:

My 'special' group is four of us in our club who really want to trial. We do everything that you would do in CCD i guess, heelwork, stand for exam, how to use jackpot , stand for exam, recall and a bunch of other stuff. Its fun but Mason is the most 'special' as he is youngest so has the most special needs :rofl: No seriously he was not bad at all, he just has no self control.

My 'special' group is four of us in our club who really want to trial. We do everything that you would do in CCD i guess, heelwork, stand for exam, how to use jackpot , stand for exam, recall and a bunch of other stuff. Its fun but Mason is the most 'special' as he is youngest so has the most special needs :rofl: No seriously he was not bad at all, he just has no self control.

So any special tips on teaching a SFE?

So any special tips on teaching a SFE?

Cant help you there, for some reason Mason can do SFE really well, I did not do much to teach him i just ask him to stand and then tell him to stay and i used to stand next to him, then went out in front of him and went further and further as he got better. Also G showed me the food game and I use that, he will pretty much stand if I have the food in my hand tempting him but if i throw the food near him he moves still :rofl: I though he would move for SFE as he had not been examined before except by Rubystar and he was a little brat that evening and moved the whole time, but he stood for G on saturday like a good kid.

SFE is the bane of my existence at the moment.

I'm trying to get Woofenpup's Abby ready for trial (CCD) and I have just been ignoring SFE :rofl: It's in the too hard basket! Jedi was so easy to train - he came with a SFE!

Thats ok i would like to do the on lead one first thanks!! :rofl:

I train Daisy so the leash being on or off doesn't matter :rofl: :rofl: We do a lot of off leash training.

You need to move :) Cos that is really screwed :rofl:

I know! I don't think you need as high a score to pass as you would in a Novice trial normally. I could be wrong though (Seita or other QLDers will be able to correct me if I am!)

Yep Sweepies has a lower pass score of 150/200. Why QLD is the only state that does this is beyond me but oh well it's not a huge deal!

Jedi was so easy to train - he came with a SFE!

So did Millie :rofl: Instead of having to teach her from scratch that stand still means stand STILL, I have just had to finetune it and we're almost there. Ruby on the other hand :thumbsup: Stand still to her means jump all over the examiner!

So did Millie :rofl: Instead of having to teach her from scratch that stand still means stand STILL, I have just had to finetune it and we're almost there. Ruby on the other hand :thumbsup: Stand still to her means jump all over the examiner!

At least Abby doesn't do that!!!! :rofl: But she just doesn't have the concept of not moving paws yet.

At least Abby doesn't do that!!!! :rofl: But she just doesn't have the concept of not moving paws yet.

One word: Labrador :D

It's a wonder, or is that a worry, that we've made it to Open with those SFE's :rofl:

Edited by RubyStar

At this stage the SFE is the only thing that Mason does 100% correctly at the moment. For recalls he sits skew. Heelwork is a bit dodgy especially turns..... stays were good until last week :thumbsup:

Remind you of another red dog Ptolomy?!!!!!

Ruby so isn't ready for Open. If there's a darker patch of grass between the solid jump and me, she jumps over the jump with dumbell in mouth and runs around the patch of grass and presents almost at heel :rofl: I swear that dog has some weird, weird phobias! She always likes to run around dark/strange patches in the grass like it's going to jump out and eat her :D

Did a 3 minute out of sight sit stay last night (coming back a few times to treat) and BOTH girls did it beautifully! :thumbsup:

Well done!! That's brilliant RS. Out of sight stays are one area I know we will need to work on heaps! I am confident we will go straight into Novice from CCD but training for Open will take a while. I think I'll give Daisy a bit of a break if we get both our CCD and CD titles before the end of the year and will try for Open next year.

Daisy has got the basics of the dumbell down pat and will retrieve it over the jump but it's not polished at all and we have tonnes of things to work on.

I'm still struggling to get a CCD/Novice 1 minute trial scenario sit stay out of Ruby, she still likes to lay down on occasion if she's hot or bored. Especially the bored part, if she's got nothing to look at while she sits there then she leans down to eat the grass (her favourite pastime!) and that leads to her then forgetting what she's doing and lays down to have a good old munch. Down stays she loves, it means she's closer to the grass :rofl:

I had serious trouble in our saturday 'special' group class, there are 4 of us G has invited to train now and then on a saturday morning, Mason kept lying down, I would go back and make him sit, he sat for like 3 seconds and down he lays again!! Mason is the baby of the group so its important to me that he can do what the others do and his stays are normally excellent but on saturday he could not do it!!

So do tell us - this special group that you are a part of - what were you working on on Saturday?

I have discovered a problem - I have rewarded Soggybear so much for sitting and waiting - when I call her she just sits there and goes - nope this is a set up :rofl: