Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Bugger Seita - you expect those sort of things to only happen in CCD and CD.

So do we need to pack our Wellies and rain coats when we come to Brissy in a couple of weeks?

I'd say that would be a good idea. We're supposed to have a dry winter but you never know at the moment!

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will be putting that judge behind me & march on to the next trials tomorrow :D

it hurts the pride a little, a couple of friends of mine over heard the comment another judge made on the sidelines the heel work was near perfect but lost 1 sit & 1 drop, but its made me more determind :D

last dog in the ring today in horrible conditions. Only one dog had managed the SB whether due to the water in the air or in puddles on the ground is uncertain. But my pocket rocket couldnt have cared less, lovely SB, DJ and articles. Minor distraction moment in CoP and missed the recall signal (Blast!!!). Came away very, very happy with my girl I think we are starting to find that line we need to walk.

The new pre-trial routine seems to be working giving us a good level of enthusiasm but keeping the work ethic there. Now for some more proofing for distractions so the concentration can be kept for the entire workout.

Still happy with my kiddo tonight..

Bugger Seita - you expect those sort of things to only happen in CCD and CD.

So do we need to pack our Wellies and rain coats when we come to Brissy in a couple of weeks?

I'd say that would be a good idea. We're supposed to have a dry winter but you never know at the moment!

Second that, its a trial and that means a high chance of rain here at the moment..

Kathq - when you get that first pass it is going to be well worth celebrating, and believe me this will make you a much better trainer. I have been through what you are going through now.....just hang in there.

PS - we used to joke about writing a book 101 ways to fail UD - think you could be a worthy contributer.

We are now working on our next novel 50 ways to fail UDX :eek:

ok pants washed, dryed & ironed, mud cleaned off boots after traitcing around paddocks late yesterday alvo :)

crate in car, dog grear in car :)

rubbish cleaned out from yesterday :laugh:

ooppps I think I have forgotten something :laugh:

last dog in the ring today in horrible conditions. Only one dog had managed the SB whether due to the water in the air or in puddles on the ground is uncertain. But my pocket rocket couldnt have cared less, lovely SB, DJ and articles. Minor distraction moment in CoP and missed the recall signal (Blast!!!). Came away very, very happy with my girl I think we are starting to find that line we need to walk.

The new pre-trial routine seems to be working giving us a good level of enthusiasm but keeping the work ethic there. Now for some more proofing for distractions so the concentration can be kept for the entire workout.

Still happy with my kiddo tonight..

Well done and fingers crossed for that first pass soon! I drove past yesterday morning and was sooo glad that I didn't enter that one! I had entered a show instead but didn't do that either. Yesterday was just disgusting!

I have a funny not completely dog training related story! We were at my brother-in-laws place last night and were being silly with his kids, my OH asked the 5 year old a simple maths question (2+2 or something like that) and he got it wrong so my OH goes "whoops" to him instead of saying that's not right try again. "Whoops" is my NRM for Ella and clearly my constant bugging the OH to get his commands correct is paying off! I was in stiches when he said this!! :rofl:

:rofl: Seita! I've done similar, but not with an NRM! I was walking through the shops holding my niece's hand and she went to touch something and I said "leave it!" in that "tone" and something else training related I can't remember now embarrass.gif

I think some kid's would benefit from clicker training, though, and lots of positive reinforcement! ;)

Bahahaha I do that stuff with my little sisters all the time "YES!" when they do something good or sometimes I've even gone to pat them on the head, I usually realise in time before it looks creepy though :o

Jess I hope you got home alright through the hectic traffic, it was great to meet you & you guys today :D

Hi Trina caught up with Jag's owners today :)

Our trial this morning was bit of a bomb which I half expected due to nearly sinking up to the ankles in wet slush, Heel work ==10 points (refuse to sit & drop), STE ==18 points lifted front right leg & held it there, Recall ==0 points, refuse to sit, Sit Stay == broke & came to me after 2 other dogs broke, Drop Stay 15 points, total 43points

This afternoon was a lot better Heel work ==14 points (refuse 3 sits ), STE ==19 points lifted front right leg & held it there, Recall ==14 points, refuse automatic sit had to be told, Sit Stay == 15 points even after 2 other dogs broke & came over & harassed him,he didn't move :thumbsup: , Drop Stay 15 points, total 77points :D :D :D

I am very happy the this afternoon scores, the judge told me if he done the 3 sits in Heel work we would have got our 1st qualify scores :D :D

Edited by murve

Jess I hope you got home alright through the hectic traffic, it was great to meet you & you guys today :D

Hi Trina caught up with Jag's owners today :)

Our trial this morning was bit of a bomb which I half expected due to nearly sinking up to the ankles in wet slush, Heel work ==10 points (refuse to sit & drop), STE ==18 points lifted front right leg & held it there, Recall ==0 points, refuse to sit, Sit Stay == broke & came to me after 2 other dogs broke, Drop Stay 15 points, total 43points

This afternoon was a lot better Heel work ==14 points (refuse 3 sits ), STE ==19 points lifted front right leg & held it there, Recall ==14 points, refuse automatic sit had to be told, Sit Stay == 15 points even after 2 other dogs broke & came over & harassed him,he didn't move :thumbsup: , Drop Stay 15 points, total 77points :D :D :D

I am very happy the this afternoon scores, the judge told me if he done the 3 sits in Heel work we would have got our 1st qualify scores :D :D

I am a member of a obedience classes here in maitland. Got up to go but it had been pouring rain all night ..i didnt go due to it pouring cats and dogsthat morning and it hasnt really stopped . Saxon had his first lesson last weekend he did really well tho he was interesed in all the other dogs around him:( I suppose at 20 weeks its hard to train. My question is if it is raining or had been raining for a period of 2 days would training lessons still be on..i dont really like the idea of standing in pouring rain trying to get dogs to train. Is this a bad way of thinking ? I feel bad that i didnt go in case it was still on. The session are from 8.30-11.00

Bev

Hi Beverly :D to answer your question if training would be held, would depend on the club, some clubs do train in the misty rain, others wont train at all if the grounds are a bit slushy if has rained. probably best to contact your club and ask :) it would also be upto the individual if they want to or not.

I have trained in the rain, yesterday the grounds we were at, it was like a quagmile in places :eek: but we ploughed through it, even though the sun was trying to shine :D

I have also trialed at the Melb Royal & it bucketed down with rain.

It wont hurt to do some training in rain to get your dog use to it, I have seen some dog that are petrified of rain

hi murve, thankyou for your reply...

yeh i was going to ring them but then i sort of chickened out lol as i felt bad. Saxon doesnt mind the rain he plays in water alot with the hose etc, so it wouldnt of bothered him as much as me...lol .. But yes i will ring them and ask if it was still on, the grounds would of been too wet as the first lesson the council wouldnt let us train the dogs there on the field as it was too wet and that was with not as much rain as we have been having here at the moment. thanks again mate :)

Edited by saxonsmum

dont be a chicken if you dont call you wont know :D

suggestion if you train in the wet slush wear a pair of gumboots or even horse riding boots that come up to about the knees & have light weight wet/wind pants & jacket are handy :D you can pickem up cheap on Ebay that is where I got mine

this is what I wear for training, I also wear my riding boots for trials. Mine came home yesterday covered in slush mud plus my pants up to my knees :rofl:

hahaha yeh i know! lol

not alowed gum boots have to be training shoes or workboots! hehe aalso they train without treats. I did a bit of training with him this morning..with treats ... he is finding the stay word hard, but sits from a laydown position, down, and come :)

Edited by saxonsmum

Murve goodonya for getting out there and trialling in less than great conditions :thumbsup:

Do you think the missed sits were you not getting your footwork right or just the fact that the dog didn't want to drop on wet ground?

Did you happen to get any of it on video?

Welcome to the thread saxonsmum :)

Murve goodonya for getting out there and trialling in less than great conditions :thumbsup:

Do you think the missed sits were you not getting your footwork right or just the fact that the dog didn't want to drop on wet ground?

hi Ptolomy thanks for the vote of confidence :D

Footwork was great both the judges commented it was the best they have seen for a long time :)

Both judges also commented if they were a dog they wouldn't want to sit or drop in wet slushy ground either :laugh:

My boy is a Whippet, both judges we had yesterday also did give us praise for attending & persavering & not pulling out , not like a number of competiters did

We are proud of our achievement :D

Sorry no video :(

hi Ptolomy thanks for the vote of confidence :D

Footwork was great both the judges commented it was the best they have seen for a long time :)

Both judges also commented if they were a dog they wouldn't want to sit or drop in wet slushy ground either :laugh:

My boy is a Whippet, both judges we had yesterday also did give us praise for attending & persavering & not pulling out , not like a number of competiters did

We are proud of our achievement :D

Sorry no video :(

my apologies Murve! that was very rude of me not to congratulate you on your work and your dog in the trials...too worried about me not going :( seems you are doing really well congrats mate :) please accept my apology..

hahaha yeh i know! lol

not alowed gum boots have to be training shoes or workboots! hehe aalso they train without treats. I did a bit of training with him this morning..with treats ... he is finding the stay word hard, but sits from a laydown position, down, and come :)

Thats good for a 20 week old,

with sit stay, get him to sit, tell him to stay, them just stand right in front of his nose, stay there for a couple of sec's & then return to his right side, keep this up, as time goes by start taking a step or 2 backwards away from the dog both of you will start building conferdence & he will soon get the picture :) give him a treat & lots of praise when you practice at home :D :D