Breed Discimination

Robbi

Yesterday I took Yogi Whippet and Abbie BullArab for a walk down at the beach, they were both on the leash and behaving well, I dont think Abbie has had many ouitings in her past and she was making very happy woo woo noises paddling in the shallows :)

A woman was walking near us suddenly decided she had to come over and talk, she immediatly patted Yogi and told him he was lovely and should come home with her before he was a victim of the violent pit bull!!!!

Abbie was wagging her tail and standing next to Yogi waiting for a pat and the woman pushed her head away and said "urgh, ugly dog".

I was so taken aback I couldnt think of what to say or do other than keep walking and bite my tongue as the only ugliness near us was her and her attitude, I felt so annoyed by the whole incident as Yogi actually hates strangers touching him and Abbie loves people and pats/kisses. We were victims of a dog racist and the only one of us that measured up was the Whippet :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People are stupid. Can't drown them, so best to ignore them. On the weekend my pug was told 'Isn't it cruel what they've done to you' and 'You should sue your breeder'. Lovely.

Edited by huga

People are stupid. Can't drown them, so best to ignore them. On the weekend my pug was told 'Isn't it cruel what they've done to you' and 'You should sue your breeder'. Lovely.

Wow - really? I can't keep my mouth shut when moron's give me "advice" about my "skinny" dog - I should just walk away, but I tend to stand there and lecture them on the agony their fat dogs will be in in a few years if they stay that fat.

Oh and when they run their mouths telling me "crossbreeds are healthier" and that it's sad that my GSD"s hips will go as if i'm cruel for having a purebred! Gah.

I wouldnt worry, my poor silky usually gets ignored while strangers flood the pom with attention. I have been told before she isnt near as cute as the other, but it doesnt worry me as i know she is my little secret diamond to me. :)

she was making very happy woo woo noises paddling in the shallows :)

Cuuuuuuute!!! :)

I get it too....was walking my Staffy boy with my 6kg SWF and a lady with two podles crossed the road saying loudly "we don't want to walk near the vicious dog!"

WTF???? They were walking nicely on lead minding their own business!!!

I actually pulled her up on that one becaus eit annoyed me, and her poodles ended up having a nice play with my "vicious" dogs.

Actually, last night in puppy class, the Staffy in class was deferring politely to one of the little oodle pups, I said to the class "can we please all remember this moment before we judge a dog based on it;s breed?"

I now realise what people feel like when they are discriminated against and I will remember to be less judgemental myself.

I am continually reminding Yogi to play gently with Abbie as she is a gentle boofa, I was worried it was going to be the other way around :)

My mother had a Staffie when I was young but I dont remember people being wary of her, I guess it was before the media crucified the bully breeds.Next time someone says anything rude about her I shall be ready with a response!

post-28340-1266362091_thumb.jpg

eta-ignore the date on the photo, every time I change the battery I forget to corect the date

Edited by Robbi

I was walking our little girl Lily the other day ( she is just on 3 kgs ) .. and some rude guy commented to his friend " What kind of a poor excuse for a dog is that ? "

I just kept walking and laughed it off.

I am used to hearing about ' walking mops ' , ' mop on legs ' etc etc

People have no idea , but I just dont know why they feel the need to comment ....

I was walking our little girl Lily the other day ( she is just on 3 kgs ) .. and some rude guy commented to his friend " What kind of a poor excuse for a dog is that ? "

I just kept walking and laughed it off.

I am used to hearing about ' walking mops ' , ' mop on legs ' etc etc

People have no idea , but I just dont know why they feel the need to comment ....

speeding25607_wideweb__470x265,0.jpg

I get it all the time with my Georgie and it is really upsetting.

She is a sweet natured dog and she absolutely adores people, pats and cuddles. It's her smile that puts people off but there is no malice to it. She is just truly happy and showing it. :eek:

:( That smile is hilarious!

I'm not proud of it, but have to admit to being slightly nervous of bullbreeds after owning a DA one :laugh: (especially when they are offlead and stiifflegging towards us like the one this morning :thumbsup: )

However, I make sure that I take time to judge the body language and, once I'm reassured, then I make a big fuss of them- I think they are gorgeous! Abbie is an absolute cutie, Robbi :eek: !!