How Did Your Pet Get Its Name?

crazyboutdogz

This topic has probably been done before but as Ive come across many unusual and absolutely wonderful names on here I was wondering how everyone's pets got their names?Also include breed if you want :laugh:

Ill kick it off as Im fairly new on here so can also introduce my clan:

HoneyChild - Shih tzu/heart dog - I loved Nicole Richie's shih tzu HoneyChild so stole the name lol not very orginal!

Sir Winston McCall Sausage Pants Bratwurst the Third - Daxi cross - I decided being a daxi he needed a regal type sounding name hence the "sir" and "the third", winston mccall is a singer of one of my favourite bands, the sausage and bratwurst parts are obvious

Rockstar - Shih tzu cross - I'd watched all the Rocky movies the weekend he was born and since he was a little star I added that to the end :(

Pablo - Chihuahua - As soon as I saw him he reminded me of a Mexican pool cleaner/cabana boy lol

Murfie - Devon Rex - I knew she was going to be a handful (being a very playful breed) so thought of Murphy's Law "Anything that can go wrong will" and she's certainly lived up to her name!

Deagon - Devon Rex - He was given to me by the breeder as he had a big scar on his tummy (not sure why but you cant see it now) and one of my favourite Motocross riders Brian Deegan has a scar on his stomach so I thought it fit!

So there you go, there's my family now I want to hear about yours!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine aren't anything special, but they do have meaning to us. Benson was actually named by his breeder. We went to see the remaining three pups in the litter and picked him, then arranged to collect him the following weekend. On the way home we talked about what we could call him, but unanimously agreed that he suited his name to a tee and so he stayed as Benson. Much to his breeders delight. We got to choose his registered name, and as soon as I saw him, Darktown Strutter sprung to mind so that's what he got. It also suited him perfectly.

Dusty came to us by photo first, when she was just a day old. We saw her grow from birth to 8 weeks by emailed pics and decided we wanted an American/Australian name for her as we are an American-Australian household, and so she became Dusty for Slim Dusty and Tahoe Rose (her registered name) for Lake Tahoe in the US.

:laugh: Barton (staffy) - Named after a highway we drove on to collect him as we couldn't decided on anything and the surburb the breeder lived in was unpronouncable

Deakin (mostly lab) - named after Alfred Deakin the second primeminister as a tribute to Barton

Jarrah (Staffy) - because he is the same colour as our Jarrah florboards

Rhubarb (SWF) - silly name because he is a bit of a clown....OH named him....we call him Rhu for short

Charlotte (Rabbit) - we just liked the name!!!

Willow (Rabbit) - Hubby likes Allyson Hannigan who played Willow in Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Bentley (rabbit) - he came from Bentley TAFE in Perth

Matilda (rabbit) - no idea....just started calling her Matilda!!!! She was a foster, so I just sort of plucked the name from thin air.

Max (cat) - he was never supposed to be mine....he was dumped at the shelter I worked at. Vet who was processing him said "quick, give me a name to put on his file" so I said "I dunno...Max?"

Oliver (cat) - he just looked like an Oliver....the mane popped into my head as soon as I saw him when he was brought into our vet clinic aged 2 weeks....as soon as I named him i thought "uh-oh, shouldn't have done that, I have to keep him now!!!!"

Jayco (cat) - she was found abandoned under a caravan.

Spartan = SPARky and TANsy our previous two dogs that passed a couple of years before. Registered name was a theme of China (dishes, not the country) and his first pick was Royal Doulton but we didn't get that, so he got Lladro instead.

James - OH and I loved this name and he was a long wait, and we used to keep telling spartan that Baby James was coming to live with us. His registered name sort of followed a theme of Gold or Hammer - we couldnt think of much that hadn't already been picked, and OH was into poker at the time, so his name "Aces Gold" came about.

Ariane (shortened Ari) was in a pet name book, was of german origin, and apparently means "silvery" not sure how much of it is true, but it fit well! Registered name "Underline Me" she was a U litter and "underline me" was sort of like yep I pick that one.

There are some great names right there!!

I have Kaspa he is a Curly Coated Retriever x BC x ?? my original, poor boy he was just named that lol :laugh:

Then I have Tashi my rescued (very hairy) deerie x boy, I now go through names with my dogs to see what they like too, it may sound weird but they'll let you know! :rofl: I was going through names with him for 3 days until I visited a friend & she was telling me about these great kids books with illustrations called the adventures of Tashi, then she said 'hold on, he's come from far away & is going on lots of adventures how about Tashi?' As soon as she said that he got up & went over for a pat, so Tashi it is & he responded to it from then on.

My other Staghound girl Elsa was so named because I was trawling through different names calling her by each one then came to Elsa & she immediately responded so it probably wasn't her name but may sound similar & now that I look at her she pants, walks & even has a mini mane like a lion lol! & she responds to that very well!

My friends have also got great names for their animals, I loved my friends cats name 'Boxhead' it really suited him, RIP :(

Will be very interesting to see some other names!!

post-32347-1266831731_thumb.jpg

post-32347-1266831802_thumb.jpg

post-32347-1266831812_thumb.jpg

Edited by lovemymutts

My old girl Lady got her name as when I got her from rspca 11 years ago she had card on outside of her pen that she was a 'gentle little "Lady" that needed some love, so she got stuck with Lady and she is a Lady as in Lady muck or My Lady and is quite the demanding lady.post-31607-1266831847_thumb.jpg

Well we have an alphabet theme going on in our current pack

(eg since my bf and i got together see my signature)

So far we have 5 letters of the alphabet

A=me

B=Boyfriend

C is our cat Corpsegrinder. Named after a singer from Cannibal corpse. Because he is SOOO cute, but if you heard his growl

D is Didge our first husky. We were trying to come up with an Aussie sounding name and Didge stuck, because we kept thinking ridgey didge and didgeridoo

E= Esky because well you all know what an Esky is.. Also kind of sounds like Eskimo

Other animals I've owned

Towser= named after the cartoon towser

Follow= my duck because he followed me everywhere

Well here we go...

Maverick (Malamute Cross Border Collie) - Only name that we both could agree on! & he just looked like a Mr Maverick :rofl:

Tinka (Kelpie) - I named her when I was two years old, from the back of a Bananas in Pajamas book. :( (Rest in peace :laugh: )

Jay Jay (Three Legged Cat) - Named after one of the hospital cats at work Jeffery, when he was hit by a car and brought into work as a stray at 6 months old hence Jay Jay (Jeffery Junior)

Oliver (Cat) - Tiny stray kitten when he came into work, named after the little ginger kitten in the Disney movie Oliver and Company.

Miki (Cat) - Mums cat, named after Archangel Michael, but gets called Miki.

Jelly (Cat) - I was going through a phase.. :rofl:

Kiarla (Cat) - From work as a kitten, name I had never heard before, just sort of popped into my head. He nickname is Snarly Karly as she can be a bit of a naughty torti!

So thats my Motley Crew :rofl:

Brutus - he is a big boof head - full title Brutus Boofhead Beefcake, suits him, he is also no the sharpest tool in the shed

Rommi - Rego's name Lil Seaurchin - Romi means Sea mist in welsh, added the extra M so it was easier to call.

Lewis - came already named (we got him at 8 months) but I love it and it was one in the list I said I liked when he was a baby. It really suits him.

Holly - cause it rhymes with Holly Jolly Collie - silly but she responded to that name, only name she responded too and I tried for about 4 days before that one came up

Missie - I wanted something different LOL little did I know every kitten or puppy I came across for the next six months was called Missie :laugh:

Merlin - my OH suggested it, our new puppy would bring some magic into our lives, and a bit of a play on blue merle

Edited by Hollys mummy

I knew straight away that his name will be Charlie.

BUT, I wanted to give him a unique name.. so Charles Wentworth came around, after the boyfriend and I were mucking around and throwing names around. All his papers has Charles Wentworth.

Recent pic of Mr Charles 'Charlie' Wentworth

4378773168_574e77ab48.jpg