Buying A Puppy From Interstate

jules1

Hi All,

Just a query on the "etiquette" to anyone who has either bought a puppy from interstate or breeds dogs themselves and sends them interstate?

Arranged to buy a puppy from a long established registered breeder interstate as no puppies of that breed available locally (was recommended to us by the Secretary of our state club) - paid a large deposit 3 weeks ago (puppies were 6 weeks old at the time - but this breeder does not let her pups go to new homes until they are 12 weeks old) - she advised that she would pick the best one to suit us which I was OK with and would have some photos soon. Their website has photos of the father and grandparents (but not the mother)

After about 10 days with no contact - I sent a quick email to confirm the deposit had been received, enquired after the pups and that we were looking forward to seeing photos (hint, hint) - the response a few days later was that photos would be taken that weekend as the pups were 8 weeks old and "look their best" - that was almost 2 weeks ago and have still received no further info - the pups are now nearly 10 weeks old.

Is this normal? Do I send another email or call her? I don't want to feel that I am "hassling" but we were so excited about getting him and all our friends keep asking if we have got any photos for them to look at - when I read others experiences about buying a puppy, they all seem to get regular updates and photos. Should I be concerned? The pups are quite expensive, which I don't mind for a "good quality" dog - but the lack of any contact is making me worried. Obviously I will need to contact her soon anyway to discuss transport, but it seems like there is no interest on the breeders side about making us happy with our decision and we are beginning to have second thoughts - especially as we are trusting her to pick the right puppy for us..... :laugh:

Any advice on how to handle this? Or am I just a typical neurotic new puppy buyer!! :laugh:

No contact saying they had received your deposit is rude, no contact for two weeks after is also rude.

No doubt they are busy, but im sure they have 5min to send you an email to let you know how things are going.

Breeders are best at picking the puppy to suit your families needs.

They know the temp of the puppies and what families will suit them best.

I turned down some great homes as they puppies, as i felt these puppies would not fit into that lifestyle.

I would call and ask when you can arrange transport etc and go from there.

All the breeders i deal with dont send photos & we dont either but many do so that area doesnt bother me but simple contact within reason should be able to be done.

The reason i say within reason is because some new to be owners can simply drive you mad with emails.i now its exciting & the likes but some go over the top like you dont have a life outside of dogs & expect a response within a time frame.

I would do what sway has said & just ask about getting the ball rolling on transport ,if they could send through there puppy contract & food iet chart so you can get organized & see what happens.

Although there seems to be alot of deposit been taken & not much happening.

We never take deposits but again each to there own.we work on commitment from both sides.

Thankyou for your quick response Sway - I'm not normally neurotic! Just a bit worried that's all. We agreed over the phone when I first spoke to her that we could have him in just over 2 weeks time, so I guess it's about time I gave her a call to discuss transport etc. Would have just been lovely to have seen some photos......we have gone from being so excited to a bit concerned that we have made a bad decision. We lost our beautiful girl a couple of months ago after 12 years so hopefully this new boy will help mend our hearts a little.

I'll give her a call over the weekend and see how I go - will report back.

Jules :laugh:

All the breeders i deal with dont send photos & we dont either but many do so that area doesnt bother me but simple contact within reason should be able to be done.

The reason i say within reason is because some new to be owners can simply drive you mad with emails.i now its exciting & the likes but some go over the top like you dont have a life outside of dogs & expect a response within a time frame.

I would do what sway has said & just ask about getting the ball rolling on transport ,if they could send through there puppy contract & food iet chart so you can get organized & see what happens.

Although there seems to be alot of deposit been taken & not much happening.

We never take deposits but again each to there own.we work on commitment from both sides.

That's exactly what I didn't want to do - drive them mad with emails etc!! (even though it's very exciting we have only sent one so have been good!) :laugh:

Bugger'em Jules, excuse the expletive. You are on the other side of the country, you have paid your money in good faith and need some answers that they are obliged to provide. I am personally a bit wound up on a similar situation myself waiting for photo's and confirmation of my deposit on an interstate deal, and tomorrow I plan to phone the breeders and advise them of my feelings on the situation.

This sort of stuff is just poor business practice and they need to be answerable as to why they haven't responded and they have an obligation to meet what they agreed upon. I wouldn't beat around the bush, I would phone and ask them directly, where's your photo's and where's the confirmation of your deposit etc etc :laugh:

Bugger'em Jules, excuse the expletive. You are on the other side of the country, you have paid your money in good faith and need some answers that they are obliged to provide. I am personally a bit wound up on a similar situation myself waiting for photo's and confirmation of my deposit on an interstate deal, and tomorrow I plan to phone the breeders and advise them of my feelings on the situation.

This sort of stuff is just poor business practice and they need to be answerable as to why they haven't responded and they have an obligation to meet what they agreed upon. I wouldn't beat around the bush, I would phone and ask them directly, where's your photo's and where's the confirmation of your deposit etc etc ;)

Hi Longcoat,

My husband is saying the same as yourself at the moment!! I'm just a bit worried about ticking them off and getting the runt of the litter :laugh:

I'm hoping we get some contact/photos before the balance of the money is due..... :laugh:

Good Luck with your new puppy and hope everything works out fine.

Jules :(

This sort of stuff is just poor business practice and they need to be answerable as to why they haven't responded and they have an obligation to meet what they agreed upon. I wouldn't beat around the bush, I would phone and ask them directly, where's your photo's and where's the confirmation of your deposit etc etc :clap:

Hi Longcoat,

My husband is saying the same as yourself at the moment!! I'm just a bit worried about ticking them off and getting the runt of the litter :laugh:

I'm hoping we get some contact/photos before the balance of the money is due..... :laugh:

Good Luck with your new puppy and hope everything works out fine.

Jules :(

Yes, it's a worry sometimes and you try and be patient and not allow the overwhelming excitment become a nuisence to the breeder, but fair's fair, especially the amount of trust we have no option to place with an interstate purchase. I have actually had thoughts of flying over to collect my puppy if I can link a couple of cheap flights together.

Good luck with your's too Jule's, all the best ;)

I recently got Lincoln from interstate, the breeder sent out puppy updates weekly with pictures and a couple of times showed me the boys of the litter via Skype and we just chatted dogs. :laugh:

They have also been great with calls/emails since bringing him home and we exchange emails weekly to chat about the breed/training/my pup ect.

I guess it depends what kind of relationship/support you want from the breeder long term?

Sorry ,to me the breeder is just plain rude.I too am very busy,work,4 teenage kids and all THAT entails :laugh: SES and the dogs,and i still managed nearly weekly pics.They were just casual pics,not stacked or anything as some i didnt choose for them till 5-6 weeks depending on the pups personality.

Phone calls,emails(even the ones who send you constant ones) sending pics are all part of being a breeder-if you cant make time-then dont breed,pretty simple.What sort of relationship will the breeder have with you in the future-I think you have your answer.Can take your money but cant send a pic :laugh:

Edited by centitout

I got weekly emails and very regular updates from Dusty's breeder and the fact that this breeder isn't doing the same would make me wonder if she really cares about the home the puppy is going to. It sounds to me like she's just treating it as a business transaction.....money for goods.

Maybe she is not a photo person, but she should be eager to be talking to people getting a puppy from her, and she should most definatly let you know if the deposit has been received, I would ask for a written receipt. I don't breeders would think of their puppy buyers speaking to them as a hassle, it should be a good thing

I have to say we have recently bought a boxer pup from a breeder that lived only half an hour away from us. Not only was she more than obliging about us visitting the pups, but also sent photo's of them and some of her other dogs. Was happy to answer any questions and has been in contact since we brought him home. We have been more than happy with her.

From the point of view of the purchaser, I am tired of hearing about how so many breeders (both cats and dogs) are busy, tired, overly committed etc etc. When you are paying thousands of dollars for a pup, I don't feel like a photo is asking too much. This is a VERY emotional purchase for most of us. You are not buying a new step ladder, you are adding a family member!! To the purchaser this is not a business.

It is the choice of each individual if you choose to breed and are then busy because you made that choice. So many people are made to feel like they are an inconveniece because they would actually like some info. God forbid you actually want to see what you have just paid a couple of thousand dollars for!!!

There are many wonderful, informative and devoted breeders out there and I commend you. It is a shame there seems to be so many breeders that are happy to sign up a purchase and then treat you like an interuption to their day. Don't advertise if you don't want purchasers to bother you. :laugh:

I have to say we have recently bought a boxer pup from a breeder that lived only half an hour away from us. Not only was she more than obliging about us visitting the pups, but also sent photo's of them and some of her other dogs. Was happy to answer any questions and has been in contact since we brought him home. We have been more than happy with her.

From the point of view of the purchaser, I am tired of hearing about how so many breeders (both cats and dogs) are busy, tired, overly committed etc etc. When you are paying thousands of dollars for a pup, I don't feel like a photo is asking too much. This is a VERY emotional purchase for most of us. You are not buying a new step ladder, you are adding a family member!! To the purchaser this is not a business.

It is the choice of each individual if you choose to breed and are then busy because you made that choice. So many people are made to feel like they are an inconveniece because they would actually like some info. God forbid you actually want to see what you have just paid a couple of thousand dollars for!!!

There are many wonderful, informative and devoted breeders out there and I commend you. It is a shame there seems to be so many breeders that are happy to sign up a purchase and then treat you like an interuption to their day. Don't advertise if you don't want purchasers to bother you. :laugh:

I couldn't of said it better myself!! I agree 100%... My breeder has been great with emails and pics...it makes it so much easier trusting the person you have given thousands of dollars to!

Edited by Red Ruby

nope, i don't think it's good enough, the breeder should have been in touch with you weekly and acknowledged payment of deposit

Tilly's breeder lived 3 hours away from me

she sent me photos weekly of Tilly and her sister (wasn't sure which one she was going to keep as her show dog)

and weekly emails about what she was doing

once she even sent an email apologising for not being able to send a photo because she had been busy but sent it within a couple of days

I built up a lovely rapport with her and she got to know me, I would have thought that any good genuine breeder would have liked to know as much as possible about the home their puppy is going too and know that the puppy buyer would be comfortable in asking any questions even after puppy was brought home

even though that Tilly is now four we are still in touch and are Facebook friends and I see her sometimes at local shows :laugh:

Hi Jules.

What breed of puppy is it? Do you know any other people of the breed who you can contact to give you advice on the reputation of this breeder.

I like everyone else, think its apalling that a breeder can take your money with no form of acknowledgement. I know there are a few breeders out there that don't send photo's due to the fact they think people may use these photos in ways that they were not intended for.

But if you've put down a large deposit I think it's safe to say you won't be mis using the pictures.

If things go nasty make sure you've got copies of money being deposited or transferred & any other correspondance.

Call email txt (what ever) this breeder & demand answer's you've done nothing wrong.

I couldn't of said it better myself!! I agree 100%... My breeder has been great with emails and pics...it makes it so much easier trusting the person you have given thousands of dollars to!

Yes i agree too i think maby this breed has not made up there mineds on which pupy your geting and this is why your not geeting photos and you now have to wait a bit longer some breeders are bit funny when it gets to about 6 to 12 weeks the puppys make so many changes in there fetchers they what to make sure they get the right ones for there kennels first just keep makeing phone contact dont panic yet ask for a group photo of the males mabe that mite work hang in there :laugh:

We picked up our puppy yesterday and have been in contact with our breeder since June/July last year when we made the initial enquiry. We received photos monthly before pups were born (of te adult dogs) and weekly once pups were born plus we saw them once a fortnight from 2 weeks of age. I would expect better communication- especially when a deposit has been paid and the pup is interstate.