Shih Tzu Bad Skin

Diet is often the major cause of skin issues.

If you brought your pup from a reputable breeder they would have given you a diet chart??

Did you follow the suggested diet??

What are you actually feeding that also includes treats.

Is the dog regularly groomed & not matted?

hi :laugh:

Skin problems can be caused by many different things. poor diet is one, yes. Allergies is another. Bacteria/yeast on the skin is another..and there are more things of which 'bad skin' is a symptom.

How old is your dog?

What are you feeding it?

how often is it bathed, and what sort of shampoo?

Have you asked the breeder for advice?

Have you taken the dog to a vet? if so, what did the vet say?

Vets are usually the best people to ask- as they can see the dog's skin, and take scrapings etc if needed.

You will find lots of people on here who have had dogs with skin probs- and they are all different! :laugh:

Thanks everyone for your feed back

My Shih Tzu is 5 yrs

Gets profesionally groomed every 6 weeks on av

Smelly yeasty ears which he gets ear drops a couple of times a week and wiped out

But i have noticed within hours his skin colour ( belly etc ) changes and then he starts scratching

but as quick as it flares up it settles

But he always has that smelly yeasty smell about him

I have been to the vet many many times to try and keep on top of it

I'm at the stage of putting him on perm medication Dont wont to do that would like to try some different ideas first

He eats Optimum can and dry

And sneeks cat food dry sometime little bugger

I'd see a vet, as it sounds like you have to clear the ear infection and you might need some specific ear drops that have to put in twice a day for two weeks as fungal infections are hard to clear.

Try to discount any contact allergies from plants etc.

I'd also use Malaseb shampoo, but be sure to leave it on for the full 10 minutes.

I'd then also add some omega 3 & 6 supplements in the diet. I found this: www.wellbeingfordogs.com.au/ ."Essential ingredients" really good, but it takes a little while before you see the results.

One of mine just slowly developed more & more itching and then dandruff, but with the Malaseb and the Essential Ingredient is doing really well. I don't use the Malaseb now that it has all cleared up, but I use the Essential Ingredient all the time.

I'd also be reporting this to your groomer - could be the shampoo they are using. Great that you keep your little one nicely groomed, and regularly, but I'm assuming a bath comes with that and IMO every 6 weeks is too often.

I would avoid shampoos and instead would merely give your dog's skin a bath using Calendula Tea. You buy the Calendula from a health food store and make a tea from it. You might want to try a test patch first, just to make sure no allergy to it ..... myself and many people who I've spoken with who have dogs with skin issues have had good results from this.

BUT - the tea wash only eases the symptoms and does not address the cause. The first place to start is to study the diet your dog is on and see if that can be improved on. And yes - also get the ears seen to and soon, if you haven't already.

Wiping around the outer part of the ear canal with Colloidal Silver ("Suttons" is a good brand .... also from Health Food Store) might help as well, but I would recommend a Vet check to determine and clear any infection.

I'd recommend a natural diet and a special shampoo used once a week to help the skin but please check with your vet because some of the shampoos can have the reverse effect if you are using them inappropriately.

I took on a very smelly completely bald dog back in December, she was most likely out of a puppy farm environment. I bathed her once a week in Alloveen shampoo and 2.5 months on, she's looking amazing. Malaseb would have been wrong for her.

I was just looking at this website, advertised here on DOL:

http://www.allnaturaldog.com.au/

I think it will have some suitable products to help you. Whatever comes in a can and/or dried food, has additives etc that can affect some dogs. Some can eat it with no problem that much is true, but others, just like people, will have sensitivities and it just doesn't do them any good at all.

Please remember to be patient and keep going - it will probably take a few months!!

Edited by dogmad

Oh - and if the groomer is spraying your dog to smell nice to your nose, might pay to knock that off too.

Get back to some natural basics and groom with a brush/comb daily to help keep the coat clean and unmatted (special attention to under arm pits, belly and legs). Groomer could still trim for you, but might have a better chance of doing so without the frequent bathing if the coat is kept brushed out in between times.

Buy some Aloveen and take it with you to the groomers. Have them use it and as mentioned let them know you dont want any conditioners, mousses or deodorizers used. As a groomer myself who also has a Shih Tzu with allergies there is no way washing every 6 weeks is too often. Shih Tzu's are prone to dodgy skin.

First you need to rule out fleas. Whether you see them or not get yourself some Advantage. Rule out anything in the garden, get yourself some sensitive skin washing detergents for their bedding etc etc.

I tried all manner of diets and the best for my Shih Tzu has been Eukanbua sensitive skin fish based kibble. She doesn't eat anything else at all, is bathed in Aloveen weekly and has Advantage applied fortnightly and we finally have it under wraps. You will need Opticin or something medicated from your vet for the ears.

yup you need to move off a food that has grains in it (especially wheat, rye etc). Look at foods like Eagle Pack, Royal Canin, Nutrience, Artemis etc. And stay away from those cans and cat food!

My rottie always had bad skin and yeasty ears. For the ears I wiped what I could reach with Lucas Paw Paw ointment and he's now on Royal Canin Rottweiler. His skin has never looked better. The only treats he gets is fresh foods, leftovers from us or natural dog treats. No preservatives, no colours, no flavourings. Also if your dog has long term yeasts you HAVE to change the diet ... medications can stem heavy infections but long term if they do little then there is another problem needing to be fixed. I have also found the Ethical Nutrients human super strength fish oil to be excellent, just on the food or straight in the mouth.

Thanks so much everyone with all your feed back

I have tried Malaseb wash didnt find it helping

my groomer uses a mild oatmeal shampoo? and no smellies

As for the ears i use Malacetic otic wash

And Surlan ear drops

I think the fresh food sounds good

so when you talk about fresh food want would you all suggest

kangaroo,any veg? would you cook it or feed it raw

I think i will go back to the vet and get a stricked routen layed out and be very stricked

No more getting sucked in if those amazing brown eyes that look at me with all the love in the world

My poor baby has horrible skin

is that common?

people tell me it comes down to diet

Brown rice etc

Anyone got any ideas?

The allergies your dog is experiencing could be the result of different things....Thyroid problems, depletion of trace elements and minerals, bacteria / yeast problem, genetic atopic allergies, could be a food intolerance or food allergy, parasites etc.

First step is to head to your Vet and have skin scrapings done and treat for the probablity of different parasites. If you don't get a result there the next step is generally food trials.

It's a great idea to start working with a Derm through this process to make sure you're doing it correctly and to get the support and advice you need.

Depending on what the Derm says, they may go ahead and do intra-dermal testing / blood allergen tests.

My dog is currently doing an 8 week trial of the Vets All Natural Diet for allergic dogs, we're 3 weeks in and hoping for something positive!

Calendula tea used to wipe or spray onto the irritated areas can help soothe, if the dog is having a cronic bout it may not be enough but definately worth a try.

Good Luck!

Allergic Dog Owner

Edited by sas