Fish For Dogs

Guest Willow

I just give my dogs canned sardines and sometimes tuna or salmon :thumbsup: It sounds a bit gimmicky to me!!!

I use the tins of fish 4 dogs as a flavour enhancer on Heidi's kibble a few times a week, but only at dinner time. She loves it, and it hasn't affected her sensitive tummy at all. I give about 2 tablespoons each time. Sometimes I put some in a kong too. I guess a little bit here and there can't be too bad.

I am trying to introduce new things into my 14 month old CKCS. (owned him 5 weeks). He was fed on a raw diet at the breeders, He was on Advance dry, raw beef mince (premium, or 3-4 star, not "pet mince") and loved chicken necks.

We had him on raw mince originally but she warned us that he was the most fussy of eaters and would go for a few days sometimes without eating. He had a tummy upset after a few weeks with us and so had to have meds from the vets as he was bleeding a little in his diarhea. Now we have him on paws fresh meat (raw beef with veggies) - it is cubed meat and smells a whole lot better than mince :) He also eats every day now, with the occasional day where he's just not fussed. (usually hot days). We give him chicken necks and he loves smacko's sticks as a treat :birthday: He is on Optimum dry as well.

We get our pup in 2 weeks (CKCS) and I want to start this one off with other things, so fish once a week etc etc. Hopefully D'Artagnan (our 14 mth old) will start experimenting more. He even turned his nose up to dog choc....(mind you, he now loves them as a treat).

Susan

I did buy some to see what the go was and from memory it is made in China or somewhere over there. That is why I decided against it.

OOPs,,, now for some strange reason, I didn't check those details. Oh dear, that would make me want to stay clear of it too. Lucky I have none left in cupboard. I mostly use Tucker Time which is supplied from the vet. Very reasonable price wise too. Cut into slabs, and stick them in the freezer. Think I will go back to that alternative, or the tins of sardines.

I'm not a fan of canned dog food, so I won't use it. But even cheaper, like Newfsie said, crunchy, munchy fresh sardines are pretty cool as far as Bronte is concerned. Sometimes as frozen sardinicicles on a warm day.

Edited by SmoothieGirl

I did buy some to see what the go was and from memory it is made in China or somewhere over there. That is why I decided against it.

The labelling says 'Product of Thailand'.

The human-grade mackerel and sardines I buy for my dogs also say 'Product of Thailand'.

The labelling says 'Product of Thailand'.

The human-grade mackerel and sardines I buy for my dogs also say 'Product of Thailand'.

Ah sorry, happy to be corrected, brain fuzz.

I avoid tuna for human consumption from there, but do feed my dog Homebrand Sardines which are most likely from the same place.

I was also wondering about price comparison I guess the dog food is possibly more expensive than Homebrand Sardines.

I was also wondering about price comparison I guess the dog food is possibly more expensive than Homebrand Sardines.

They are fairly similar in price :laugh: I pay about $1.70 for a 3-pack of sardines in oil (total weight 375g), and the Fish For Dogs is around $1.50 per can (400g). I only give the tinned food to my dogs fairly occassionally as they get sardines/mackerel with their dry food several times a week anyway, but they seem to enjoy it as a treat. I'm generally not a fan of tinned dog food but the ingredients list doesn't look too bad. This is the 'Choice Sardines' flavour, the others are much the same.

Ingredients: Oceanfish including Sardines and Tuna, Chicken Mince, Vegetables (Peas, Carrots), Rice, Gelling Agents, Vitamins & Minerals.