Hernia's - Care To Share Your Knowledge?

We sent a dog off to a new home on Tuesday. It left hernia free and has apparently arrived with 3, one the size of an orange and a half and nearly hanging on the ground :( .

Is this remotely possible? I didn't think it was possible and am waiting for my vet to speak to their vet BUT someone I trust advises that the vet has confirmed that there are 3 hernias.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever does it? I thought hernias appeared over time but not over 24 hours? Hernias, as I understand them, are holes in muscle which allows other "stuff" to come through (at least that is how I understood McKenzie's umbilical hernia). It first showed about 10 days after she was born. Can them come up that quickly???? :(

One is at the site of her desexing surgery that took place 2-3 weeks ago. I'm waiting to hear where the other 2 are.

I'm concerned that the one at the site of her surgery indicates something connected to that surgery but it is hard to say without knowing where the other 2 are.

Not umbilical.

The woman is on the phone and has described them as this:

One is on her right hand side underneath her back leg, the size of an orange, the other is next to it. Another is on her left hand side in front of her front leg.

Edited by Trisven13

Have had hernias in females at the end of the desexing suture line. Something to do with either the stitches failing or something not being trimmed back enough.

The woman is on the phone and has described them as this:

One is on her right hand side underneath her back leg, the size of an orange, the other is next to it. Another is on her left hand side in front of her front leg.

:laugh:

Something is not right there.

Inguinal hernias? Possible, but not probable. One under the front leg? Naw.

Who related this to you, the owner, or the vet? I would want to speak to the vet.

One at the spey site - could happen, particularly if speyed recently, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, or it is simply swelling.

I spoke with my vet this morning too. She saw the dog on Monday and is adamant that this could not have happened in 24 hours. She also said that what they are describing as a hernia in front of the leg is impossible as there is nothing to herniate. She is ringing the vet this morning to discuss it and we are going to attempt to get the dog back to us. Heartbreaking for us and our foster carer who has spent so much time with this dog as she was a special case. :o

It just doesn't sound quite right. For three hernias to have happened in such a short amount of time, what has the dog been doing? Suture site is understandable if dog is a bit too bouncy or active as others have said. A hernia in front of the front leg I wouldn't think possible, it's not severe trauma/bruising of some sort? Hope dog is OK.

I wonder if these people got their words mixed up and that the issue is "haematoma" rather than "hernia". But then, if it is haematoma, what the heck has been going on for the dog to have developed so many of them? Injection/IV drip sites from the op? Good thing, I think, that the dog is coming back to you. Trisven, albeit that a failed 'forever home' is always a disappointment. Something doesn't add up right.

Sounds very odd, interested to know what the evental outcome and diagnosis is.

As you have been told, they cannot herniate anything infront of their front leg.

Suture line, yeh it happens, but if it was long enough after her surgery for her sutures to be removed and her to go to a new home, then I haven't seen it - not impossible, but very unusual.

I gather from an earlier post she is coming back to you? Hope all is okay.