Puppy Gastro?

Legz

Hey people just wondering anyones experiences with gastro in puppies? We have a 9week old westie we have only had less than a week, has had her first vaccination and was a bundle of energy up until yesterday night when she started getting quiet and off her food. She has had increasing diahorrea starting this morning, no blood in it but increasing to uncontrolled like brown water this afternoon. She was perky but still not her usual self this morning. We all had to work but i came home on lunch break and she was covered in it so cleaned her up and called mum to leave work (im a paramedic so cant just leave work in a shift) to take her to the vet at 3pm as i was very worried. She had also lost 300grams since the previous day (this freaked me as she is only a little puppy)

Vet checked gums, temp, glucose etc stated not dehydrate and sent her home with the instructions to come back tomorrow if she still hasn't eaten and they will do bloods. Now she was quiet and bit lethargic but went downhill rapidly so back to vets at 7pm to get bloods, and x-ray of her tummy and drip put in. Her x-ray was clear, her bloods were pretty much normal but very flat/lethargic. She has been transferred to the animal hospital for overnight care and parvo test (though the vet thinks its not that and they have had no cases in the area) They think maybe bad gastro? Or worst case her intestine has telescoped on itself? They will do other x-rays through the night if needed. She has been given electrolytes and glucose through the drip and they will monitor her and its a bit of a waiting game.

Has anyones puppy had bad gastro and was like this? Im so worried. I know its all different but its so distressing to see, we have only had her a week and she is part of our family already, cant imagine not having her she is such a little character and my other dog loves her.

Hi her temp was normal the first time then the second visit it had dropped a bit, but not abnormally cool. She was vaccinated 2 weeks ago and has been the picture of puppy health and energy since we got her. She is from a registered breeder so not a pet shop puppy either ( i know it doesn't make a difference but just the background of her)

Giardia can give dogs diarrhoea. To diagnosis this, the vet has to check a stool sample. Dogs can get this from contaminated water and I don't mean dirty water. Many cities water supplies have outbreaks of Giardia and it affects humans as well.

Coccidia can have similar symptoms too - but apparently we don't see it all that often?

An obstruction doesn't normally produce watery diarrhoea, but it's also worth looking into. Is there any way that the pup may have chewed/swallowed something she shouldn't have?

I'm assuming that your vets have the little one on a drip at the moment, yes? Here's hoping she is feeling better today...

T.

Giardia can give dogs diarrhoea. To diagnosis this, the vet has to check a stool sample. Dogs can get this from contaminated water and I don't mean dirty water. Many cities water supplies have outbreaks of Giardia and it affects humans as well.

I was going to suggest giardia also. Doesn't normally flatten dogs as the issue is in the small intestine, but as there is probably also dehydration involved, this could flatten the pup, and being so young could be showing these signs.

Cidicosis and giardia can also be picked up from pup picking up bird droppung if you possibly had any outside on concrete or deck or something.

I hope your puppy gets well very soon. it is awful to see such young babies sick.

Thanks guys, she has tested negative to parvo thank goodness. She hasn't had anymore vomiting but still has uncontrolled watery diahorrea that is just dripping out of her. The vet seems to think that this can be contributing to the fact she is on a drip with glucose infusion and keeps having fluid put into her. She is having more anti-biotics today again.

They did an x-ray and it showed nothing obvious but didn't rule out the need for more x-rays. Her tummy is sore and her poor bottom is so sore, they have been using barrier cream but she is just constantly in a mess.

She has perked up though overnight, she ate food last night, wandered around her cage and was pulling at her drip which is a big improvement, she is being kept in today and if she continues to improve and eat food they said she can come home tonight. She is much stronger than she was, still very quiet and unhappy but not the flat lethargy that she was yesterday.

I will mention those viruses to the vet that you have suggested, we are hoping its just gastro.

Thanks everyone its much appreciated.

How awful for you. sending all healing vibes for your little puppy.

bert got gastro when he was only 12 weeks old (he wasa around 3-4kg i think).

it was pretty much identical to what is happening with your dog.

he was kept in over night on a drip and within 2 days was back to his psycho self.

i was distraught at the time thinking how can this teeny tiny boy fight this, but he did :o

Our 11 month old puppy also had a gastro bug this week with vomiting and diarrhea. It started with him being a bit lethargic and not interested in food and then progressed to vomiting followed by lots of liquid diarrhea. We took him to the vet and he stayed there for the day for tests and monitoring for dehydration. He didn't have a temperature and it turned out not to be parvo or giardia although the vet thought it was possible that it could be either. It seems he may have had some food poisioning from something he picked up in the garden as he has a habit of burying things like pigs ears and then digging them up and eating it when it is looking disgusting and I'm not looking! I have confiscated all that I can find in the garden and won't be giving him any food items when he is outside. The vet gave him an AB injection and also prescribed a course of flagyll (another type of AB, I think). It took about 3 days for the diarrhea to stop but he is looking much more himself now. I was told to keep him on a very bland diet like boiled chicken until he is better. I will also be giving him Inner Health Plus to try and restore the good bacteria.

It is possible that the recent course of cortisone and anti biotics he was on for itchy skin/hot spots may have upset the balance in his gut or compromised his immune system.

I hope your puppy is on the mend as it is awful to see them so sick.

Thankyou for all the replies, our lil terror is back home now albeit not 100% but so much better than she was. She came home last night on a drip which they still wanted on her but didn't feel she needed to be hospitilised another night. She was better, hated the collar around her that stopped her chewing the drip line but we after some sooking and crying she settled right down, took her out into the garden for a stretch of the legs and pee and she was good.

Back at the vets this morning to remove the iv and we can start her on small amounts of boiled chicken which is good... she most certainly has an appetite. She is on pepinsol (sp) anti-biotics and another thing to line her tummy. She has also been made up a sugar/salt water as well as normal water to drink. She is so much better, her poor little bottom is red raw though from all the diahorrea so we are putting vaseline and making sure it stays as clean as possible.

They think it was something she ate (god knows what) that really messed her around, vet said it was one of the worst cases of gastro.

But she is home and happy to be here and starting to bounce back, had a little bath today to clean her all up (used no tears baby shampoo) and she ran around the living room chasing my other old boy which was really nice to see.

thanks again everyone :(