Must Haves For Newbies

littlehoot

My thoughts are for your first show be minimal.

Chair

Dog A must :thumbsup::bottom::) :D

Crate.

Lead

poo bags $dollar shop 100 baby nappy bags for $2.00 (scented also bonus)

Water bowl

Being pug you do not have to be there at the crack of dawn unlike C for Cav. :)

Will the breeder be there???

Which show is it??

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jr_inoz:

BUT - when I am on my own - Gazebo is too hard for just one person to put up (I tried - and whilst people will help you when you do look like an idiot trying on your own - I hate to ask...)

There's a trick - stake one of the gazebo legs with a tent peg - make it far easier to stretch the gazebo out on your own.

I can put up a 3 x 3m one on my one if I have to but I'll always help anyone put one up if I see them on their own. :thumbsup:

If you want a trolley but not the large price tag, keep an eye out at your local markes or op shops - I picked one up, in fab nick except the matting inside was ripped (easily replaced - clark rubber) for $40! :rofl:

I don't think the shopkeeper knew what it was..

"Oh yeah, you can probably stick your dog in it or something.."

"How much?"

"Call it $40.'"

"Deal!!"

I ran away with it quick-smart before she changed her mind!! :)

Thanks Poodlefan :) They have got such small wheels that they look like they would be extremely hard to push on grass.

It's a great method of muscle building. :rofl: Hills are good too.

I've had 90kg of dog food (won by various friends) in my show trolley and a motivated Golden Retriever hitched to the front (following his owner) as supplementatry propulsion before.

I'm not sure I'd try repeating that with any trolley other than a Ccrates one.

Edited by poodlefan

A trolley isn't necessary.

I've been showing for way too many years and never owned one. Never really missed having one either.

Do they make one big enough for Pointers? :)

I also have a fold up cargo trolley that does a great job on gazebos and crates.

Trolleys are handy for people with small breeds thou, I would never have one for the pointee but definately getting one for the pugs its just so much easier(struggling with multiple pug crates is just getting annoying)!

I've been showing for way too many years and never owned one. Never really missed having one either.

yeah - but you only have a short haired dog. :thumbsup:

Double coated breed here that needs quite a bit of fussing before a show.

I agree a trolley isnt a necessity. I have a coated breed and I dont have a trolley, My OH and I devised a make shift one that cost $10.

Take One piece of ply, the size of the top of your crate, take one drill, line up bars on crate and mark holes, drill into corners of ply.

Cable tie ply to top of crate

Tada! Instant grooming table, with somewhere to put your dog!

I agree a trolley isnt a necessity. I have a coated breed and I dont have a trolley, My OH and I devised a make shift one that cost $10.

Take One piece of ply, the size of the top of your crate, take one drill, line up bars on crate and mark holes, drill into corners of ply.

Cable tie ply to top of crate

Tada! Instant grooming table, with somewhere to put your dog!

cool suggestion

yeah - but you only have a short haired dog. :laugh:

Double coated breed here that needs quite a bit of fussing before a show.

I show an OES and dont own a trolley...

Granted once the OES is on the table they stay there, so they also don't need a crate :banghead:

Tobe has a long flowing predonminatley white coat ;) I couldnt survive without my trolley its also provides a nice dry way for him to travel to the marshalling area and something to groom him on immeadiately prior to entering the ring. Although the messy brat that he is after one shake I may as well have not brushed him at all!

Its also the gazebo coffee table and my sons cool cubby that he hide out in with his four legged best mate :laugh:

I have seen dotty's conversion though :banghead: very good idea!!

I think in the past 18 months I have accumulated everything from a Gazebo, chairs, trolley and floor matting to silver mesh etc. etc. etc.

Back in the 1980's when I showed my Schipperke all I had was

Dog

Lead

Bag with brush, water and bowel and towel

Me (dress very casually!)

Now it seems to be all out.

What changed????