Ear-gluing - A Different Question Than Stitchs

I also do not think trimming of fur on feet/clipping nails is anywhere near the same as gluing ears into a set position.

Nails/fur grow again,quickly. They are trimmed often for the general health of the dog.

AFAIK, Developing ear cartilage is taped/glued in a SET position, so that it then grows in that position. Once

'set' the ear is then permanently like that.

The ear's conformation is thus permanently changed/altered,albeit subtly; not for any health reason, but to suit the standard.

Edited by persephone

It's much better to glue and ear for a couple of weeks then the alternative of the old terrier people who 'crack' the cartiledge on the adult dog. It is pretty obvious to see a dog that has had this done though.

I've had the occassional Min Pin bub who has 'dropped' an ear when teething. I haven't taped or glued but just massaged gently a couple of times a day along the folded in half ear from top to bottom . This has always worked but then again maybe the ear would have come right anyway.

If the ear set is bad, you can glue/tape all you like but it's still a bad ear set. It does not alter the set on of ear, just where/how it folds.

Some people tape Afghan's tails - I find it a waste of time and have my own way of ensuring a ring (or at least a hook) forms. What's the difference between me "feeding" a ring into a tail and someone else "taping" it in?

A very good question to ask, but is it really any different to shaving a dogs coat or poodle cuts where alot of trimming and hairspray goes into the end product.

I will confess to feeling the same way about the hairspray :( . I have a breed where very little is done and the most that is done is done by me. My breeder does nothing other than brush them and occasionally strip out their ears. I use a foam shampoo to clean their coat without softening it and brush up the fur on their legs but that really is it with my breed which may be why I feel this way more.

what about that other stuff you use on their coats Trisven or have you stopped using it :laugh: The stuff you were brushing in, like a mousse?

A very good question to ask, but is it really any different to shaving a dogs coat or poodle cuts where alot of trimming and hairspray goes into the end product.

I will confess to feeling the same way about the hairspray :( . I have a breed where very little is done and the most that is done is done by me. My breeder does nothing other than brush them and occasionally strip out their ears. I use a foam shampoo to clean their coat without softening it and brush up the fur on their legs but that really is it with my breed which may be why I feel this way more.

what about that other stuff you use on their coats Trisven or have you stopped using it :laugh: The stuff you were brushing in, like a mousse?

I use a mousse that cleans their coat - is that what you mean? It is used as a bath so that the coat doesn't go soft. I was using some gel on their legs but found it made no difference so I just brush it up now.

I will confess to feeling the same way about the hairspray :rofl: . I have a breed where very little is done and the most that is done is done by me. My breeder does nothing other than brush them and occasionally strip out their ears. I use a foam shampoo to clean their coat without softening it and brush up the fur on their legs but that really is it with my breed which may be why I feel this way more.

what about that other stuff you use on their coats Trisven or have you stopped using it :mad The stuff you were brushing in, like a mousse?

I use a mousse that cleans their coat - is that what you mean? It is used as a bath so that the coat doesn't go soft. I was using some gel on their legs but found it made no difference so I just brush it up now.

mousse/gel I'm a total novice to hair stuff :rofl:

I will confess to feeling the same way about the hairspray :rofl: . I have a breed where very little is done and the most that is done is done by me. My breeder does nothing other than brush them and occasionally strip out their ears. I use a foam shampoo to clean their coat without softening it and brush up the fur on their legs but that really is it with my breed which may be why I feel this way more.

what about that other stuff you use on their coats Trisven or have you stopped using it :mad The stuff you were brushing in, like a mousse?

mousse/gel I'm a total novice to hair stuff :o

I was talking to some breeders overseas and they prefer a more natural look with the Fauves too rather than the quite groomed look of the PBGVs so I'm going to follow their lead. :rofl: Can't hurt hey?

Edited by Trisven13

If people are hiding faults by using glue to alter the structure of the ear, then by breeding with those dogs they are perpetuating the ear problems.

This was just what I was going to say. There is an older GSD breeder and this is one of his complaints about GSD, if the ears don't stand up by themselves, then its a pet quality dog, no cheating allowed.

If you pick a puppy with neat, small rose ears at 8 weeks and one drops when teething starts, how are you altering the structure of the ear if you glue it back into the original rose postion ?

The crease is still there, it's the same as it was at 8 weeks and if you don't follow the original crease, you've screwed the ear up anyway and it won't sit the same as the other.

If you started out with two over sized drop ears and you glue those, you're a fool.

If you pick a puppy with neat, small rose ears at 8 weeks and one drops when teething starts, how are you altering the structure of the ear if you glue it back into the original rose postion ?

The crease is still there, it's the same as it was at 8 weeks and if you don't follow the original crease, you've screwed the ear up anyway and it won't sit the same as the other.

If you started out with two over sized drop ears and you glue those, you're a fool.

So it is only done to a dog that has correct ears to start with then? That may be part of my misunderstanding. Is it something that only happens with dogs who have ears that bend at the ends, ie Irish Terriers etc or is it dogs who have ears that stick straight up as well, like a GSD?

I've seen a lot of Crestie puppy pictures recently that have taped ears, done so they stand up.

Ears don't really bother me if someone has trained them into position or not. There are plenty more serious things people do (like altering a dogs bite) which to me is a lot worse.

you can only do so much to an ear. You cant fix the actual set but you can help retain the shape it should be during teething. I dont see that as cheating at all why spoil a good dog.

A clever groomer can alter the look of the dog, trimming feet and nails can also have more then just a grooming purpose :thumbsup: Many things can be hidden in the show ring and until the day that even touching the dog is banned before it enters well we hope they just fall under a smart enough judge that can see the tricks.