Cheap Agilty Equipment

I've made my own jumps and tyre basically the same as this link shows http://www.dogsporttalk.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1073

Anxiuosly waiting for opinions on the tunnel from the previous website

Awesome I was looking for this link the other day :laugh: Thanks.

Ness, I want to make a couple of normal jumps, a single solid jump, and I would like to make some weavers so that I can use the 2x2 method. So far all I have are 6 pvc poles that I can stick in the ground, but that's a PITA because I can never get them the right distance apart and if the ground isn't soft enough, can't get them to go in :D So I want to make a weavers base of some sort so all I have to do is stick the poles into the base. Gosh I'm feeling extremely overwhelmed just thinking about it :laugh:

Edit: oh and I want to make a box. Yes this sounds simple but even THIS scares me! What connectors do I need?

Edited by RubyStar

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought my 2x2 weavers :D . I am not so keen on the PVC based versions as I think they have potential to interfere with way the dog weaves. I was looking at the ones from top buy and wondering if you could possibly modify there base plates so they are the correct distance and make them into a set of 2x2s.

UD PVC box is easy - I made mine from 1.1m lengths of 25mm PVC (so less then regulation), then just use the 90 degree elbows for the corners :laugh: .

Link to photo for RS - PVC picture

Normal jumps - the stick in the ground ones are cheaper to make think around $15 each. The PVC freestanding ones work out around $30 each from memory. I know somebody made a set of weavers by getting the thinnest schedule PVC and dropping them over the top of decking nails. That way you can measure out and hammer in the nails and then just place the PVC over the top.

My first jumps I used for my UD gear were just wooden garden stakes with a little lump of wood to balance the jump bar on. Did the trick and wasn't anything overly fancy. I have even taken pots to the park and balanced a bar on top of those :laugh: .

RS - I'm trying to talk my OH or brother into welding up some 2 x 2 weave bases that can be joined together like the ones at training, if I can talk them into making some do you want some too? I daresay they'll just charge cost.

For jumps, I have some PVC ones but I hate them because they are big, so what I want to do is buy more electric fence posts which are light PVC with a metal spike in the end and stick jump cups on them, that way they will fit in my car and be easy to cart around because I don't really do much in my back yard.

A box is EASY! 4 Elbow connectors and some PVC cut with a hack saw!

Oh and FYI Ptolomy put me onto the hardware shop on Warton Rd in Huntingdale, they have the cheapest PVC I've found and will cut it in half so it fits in the car :laugh:

amypie you need to make some jumps like mine. I have 7 which fit inside the side of a standard pillow case size bag and very nicely into the back of the car. They aren't regulation height but with small dogs I don't think it would be to much an issue. 400 height still has some upright about the cup and even at 500 they are fine. So definitely for your two you would be ok. I do have standard size bars though which take up a bit more room but nice to be able to carry 7 jumps out from the car and set them up at the oval without struggling - find I am more inclined to set them up :laugh: .

ETA. I find the CR cups aren't deep enough so I have those for 200/300 height which I used when we do grid work but have PVC cut t's screwed in at 400 and 500.

Edited by ness

RS - I'm trying to talk my OH or brother into welding up some 2 x 2 weave bases that can be joined together like the ones at training, if I can talk them into making some do you want some too? I daresay they'll just charge cost.

YES PLEASE!!! :laugh:

Well this weekend I need to paint but next weekend if I have nothing on, I am going to tackle making SOMETHING once and for all! God knows I've received enough instructions, I just need to put my brain into gear and produce something that slightly resembles obedience/agility equipment :laugh:

I want the jump cups from Clean Run too, but the singles because I really only need them at 200, 300 and 400 anyway

Can your bro or OH weld up some jump uprights too? :laugh: Then we have all heights covered!

I still don't know what height my girls will need to jump at. At a guess, I'm gonna say 500. Pleeeeeease don't be 600, Ruby will struggle BIG TIME!

If you are going to have a fast/strong dog - with weaves - it is a good idea to be able to peg them down, especially if doing 2x2 as that will be lighter weight than a longer line of poles. So if getting them home made something to think about. I bought my bases (3 sets of 4 poles. I may get a 2x2 set for the next dog). Kaos can push the poles out of the way and move them if not pegged, and I am finding that not pegging them has meant that while his footwork is great at home, he is not as consistent or fast at training or trials where he cannot move the poles. So I am now pegging them (difficult as my ground is hard, and I also keep hitting rocks!).

I'm surprised the jumps are sold out, if you know how I'm pretty sure you can make them for much cheaper than that! I still don't know how, regardless of how many tutorials I've read :( I desperately want to start making some jumps but I'm so dumb when it comes to handy stuff :laugh: I'm even stumped with what to go and buy! :eek:

I was going to use the electric fence posts for uprights, from what I can tell they are about $5 each

Ness I liked your jumps too, the electric fence posts are easier though :laugh:

I'm 99% sure the jump cups from Clean run are the ones we use at our club, they put hose inside the jump bars to make them heavier, my dogs rarely touch the bars anyway (considering they can jump up to the kitchen bench, they have no excuse for knocking bars :D )

Yep Kavik I was going to drillholes so they can be pegged, don't want them to move about.

I want the jump cups from Clean Run too, but the singles because I really only need them at 200, 300 and 400 anyway

Can your bro or OH weld up some jump uprights too? :laugh: Then we have all heights covered!

I still don't know what height my girls will need to jump at. At a guess, I'm gonna say 500. Pleeeeeease don't be 600, Ruby will struggle BIG TIME!

I find it funny that some Labs are short enough to jump 500 - I never thought my Kelpie would be taller than a Lab - he jumps 600 :laugh:

I find it funny that some Labs are short enough to jump 500 - I never thought my Kelpie would be taller than a Lab - he jumps 600 :laugh:

Now you've scared me that my Labs actually will qualify for 600! Millie should be able to handle it, but Ruby, no freakin' way. She's a lightweight Lab but she's a sack of potatoes when it comes to jumping!

RS, the agility cut off for 500 is 545 at the withers, if she's over that she has to jump 600 :eek:

I'm going to publicly embarrass myself (hey what's new?) and say that I always hear people mention measuring at the withers, but frig knows where the withers are :D And I call myself a dog person, shame on me!! :laugh::laugh: