Ear Infection - Advice - Yeast

I have posted before but am still looking for more advice.

I took my male poodle to the vet on 14th Feb - he was diagnosed with a yeast ear infection. I was given Dermotic and told to bring him back in 10 days. Vet at this exam mentioned that inside his ear was quite hairy - not the canal as I am able to do that myself she was talking about where I cant really see.

Take him back 10 days later. Different vet (same clinic) mentions ear is hairy. Swab test shows yeast still present sent on my way with more Dermotic and told to come back in 10 days.

Now it is 18 days later and he still has the yeast infection (there hasnt been much change in the ear - though it isnt red and he isnt in pain).

Do I ring the vet and just asked to have his ears fully plucked under sedation? Doing some reasearch on here has bascially stated that treating it with antibiotics whilst hairy is pointless.

I have been recomended a better vet and am happy to try them as I feel like I have been taken for a ride. The vet I was seeing actually charges a full appointment for a "review" and obviously since it hasnt cleared and we are nearing our 3rd visit (at $120 a pop - this includes a consult, swab and dermotic) its costing me a bloody fortune with no result.

ATM I am treating with Dermotic - 5 drops twice a day.

I have ordered some Malacetic ear wash, Biogroom ear powder and some hemostats to keep on top of the problem in future but at the moment I need to clear the initial infection.

I am also going to change their food from Advance to Artemis to cut out all grains - this too is on its way.

Can anyone help me any more??? I feel helpless and our budget is tight.

Usually if the ear canal is really packed with hair to the stage where it forms disgusting waxy clumps, or even worse greasy clumps if it is yeasty, then yes you would want to remove it so the drops can actually get down there, you would however have noticed if this was the problem.

If the hair is not too thick and causing a a problem then leaving it there would be fine.

Firstly I would remove all yeast/gluten from your dogs diet, this was the only thing that helped with my boy and then I now use Colloidal silver to clean his ears and he gets some each day to drink as well, touch wood its keeping his ears clean and yeast free. I battled for 2,5 months to get rid of his infection, I found it would never clear up 100% until I got him on a yeast free diet.

Find a good groomer & get them to pluck.Most will charge $10/$15 dollars.There is no need to knock the dog out.

Also does the dog have yeasty feet??

generally dogs with bad ears have bad feet as they transmit it there when scratching.You need to treat both to stop the problem

Thanks everyone.

Showdog - I have just treated the feet with Apple cider vingar tonight and can think of a good groomer (also a poodle breeder) so I will give them a call tomorrow and see if they can help.

Firstly I would remove all yeast/gluten from your dogs diet,

We are on day 2 of wheat/gluten free. So far I have just been giving extra chicken wings, sardines and stuff that I have handy. The Artemis dry food should be arriving tomorrow. I have also tried giving them some ACV in their water and some natural yoghurt. Hopefully this helps.

I second changing the diet and getting rid of grains. I don't know what is in Artemis but removing wheat/gluten may not be enough. Corn and Rice ferment in your dog's gut and grow yeast (candida) too. I'd try a completely raw diet for a couple of months and supplement the dog with probiotics to get the gut back to normal balance.

Edited by blacklabrador

also- i was told to wash whole dog regularly in malaseb- paying attention to between toes, and under tail . both these spots are moister and ideal for growing/transferring 'bugs!'

good fresh diet, probiotics will certainly give you a chance ! :cry:

Yes get rid of grains from the diet if your dog has them if you can, i have only noticed yeast in my dogs ears after being fed grain kibble for a while. But thats just my experience. No doubt yeast infection can be caused by many other things.

Shells,

you may also need to cut out the yoghurt.

One of our boys is sensitive to dairy and even a teaspoon of yoghurt in his food will set his ears off. The only food that he does well on is Pro Plan. We treat his ears when they get yucky with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and warm water and it does the trick and he does not seem to mind it too much. We put it into a little spray bottle and spray it into his ears, he prefers this to drops.

Good luck with your boy.

For those of you that use the Malaseb to wash out the ears, how do you dilute it, Ie ratio of water to shampoo??

My pups ears are flaring up again and I have no idea why, I havent been taking him to the beach and he hasnt been swimming in the river, his allergies have been bothering him these last 2 weeks so maybe that has something to do with it. He is eating gluten/yeast/wheat free food and the only grain in his food is rice.

Edited by Masons_mom

Find a good groomer & get them to pluck.Most will charge $10/$15 dollars.There is no need to knock the dog out.

Also does the dog have yeasty feet??

generally dogs with bad ears have bad feet as they transmit it there when scratching.You need to treat both to stop the problem

Hello Showdog, what does yeasty feet look like? My Goldie is also going through a yeast ear infection in her right ear she's been on Nizorol tablets for the last month and the stinky brown wax appears to have reduced. I noticed the fur in her paws has a dark brown/red color also her girly bits but she's had this color the day we picked her up at 12 week old now she's 10 months old.

We have also taken out high sugar vegie's out of her diet, introduced more raw meats, chicken mainly, probiotics, and psylium husks for fiber.

Any comments appriciated.

Cheers

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the tips and info. After all my worry and stress I took both my dogs for a second opinion to a new vet (after visiting the previous vet twice in 2 weeks and getting nowhere). The new vet and I decided that a sedation, pluck and flush would be best. Well what would you know - not one but 2 grass seeds. Unfortunatley one had perforated his ear drum but we have got him cleaned up and medicated hopefully to be fully recovered in 10 days.

My female dog who also started displaying "gunky" ears had a dead fly in hers :) so she is on Otomax.

Considering the grass seeds were missed by one of Canberras "premier" vet hospitals I am pretty pissed off but on a good note the new vet said I do a good job with their ear care and I was just unlucky which has given me hope as I was trying everything and getting a bit depressed as nothing was working.

I will keep them on the Artemis (though they dont seem too keen on it) and hopefully in 10 days I can put this whole (expensive) experience behind me :laugh: