Hachi

Guest english.ivy

Guest belgian.blue

Short of Hachi

Hachi .. Wiki

Hachiko: A Dog's Story is a 2009 American drama film based on the true story of the faithful Akita Hachikō. It is a remake of the 1987 Japanese film Hachikō Monogatari. It was directed by Lasse Hallström, written by Stephen P. Lindsey and stars Richard Gere, Joan Allen and Sarah Roemer.

It was released on August 8, 2009, in Japan. In the United States, the movie was shown at the Seattle International Film Festival on June 13, 2009 while Sony Pictures Entertainment decided to forgo a U.S. theatrical release and is sending it straight to DVD.[1] Sony will release the DVD in the USA on March 9, 2010. According to the Odeon Cinema website [2] the film will be given a UK theatrical release on March 12th 2010, courtesy of Entertainment Film Distributors. According to Box Office Mojo [3], total foreign box office has reached $39,631.942 ....

I read about this Akita in a book called Dog Man [by Martha Sherrill] and saw the DVD on sale while out walking Ivy this afternoon. Doesn't look like it is getting a release here but it was for $15 so I'm tempted to go buy it tomorrow!!

Very sweet film, made my tummy go all twisty :laugh:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cried for probably three quarters of this movie - it was okay though, Zero was sleeping on my bed and "watching" it with me at the time. I don't think he understood why i kept hugging him :whiteflag:

It's not very hollywood but they have put an annoying american spin on it.

I just watched it the other day. Was tearing up and crying throughout the movie. Seriously....the tear ducts have no sense of control when it comes to animal movies, etc. :whiteflag:

Glad to see other people have enjoyed it too. Similar to Greyfair's Bobby eh?

I bought the DVD a few weeks ago and watched it on the long weekend (the one with Richard Gere). I had not heard of it before and I absolutely loved it, but the middle bit shocked the crap out of me because I simply wasn't expecting it.

I cried for probably three quarters of this movie - it was okay though

Yep! That was me too! We had our girls all asleep beside us on the lounge and I sat there crying for pretty much over 1/2 of the movie.

I wouldn't watch it again (because I'd just cry) but it was a good movie.

I love this story

Although I liked the Japanese movie made about it a bit better then this hollywood take on the story.

--Lhok

I really like the Japanese movie too, and compared to many if not most Hollywood remakes, the original offers an extra dimension of authenticity. None-the-less, as many people in English speaking countries seem to have an aversion to subtitles its nice to have a re-make that attempts to capture the essential elements and emotional impact of the story.

I watched the DVD last month and howled my eyes out , A must see for everyone :whiteflag:

Yup that's pretty much me too. :laugh: Had not heard of the movie, just saw it at Video Ezy and grabbed it. Was very glad there was noone else there watching it with me... the tears were definitely flowing throughout. :confused:

I love this story

Although I liked the Japanese movie made about it a bit better then this hollywood take on the story.

--Lhok

I really like the Japanese movie too, and compared to many if not most Hollywood remakes, the original offers an extra dimension of authenticity. None-the-less, as many people in English speaking countries seem to have an aversion to subtitles its nice to have a re-make that attempts to capture the essential elements and emotional impact of the story.

I'd be interested to see the Japanese version... any idea where I might find it?

I read about this Akita in a book called Dog Man [by Martha Sherrill] and saw the DVD on sale while out walking Ivy this afternoon.

A bit OT:

I have this book, BB, and I constantly just "dip into it". Absolutely fascinating. In fact, I took the name of one of my fosters, Kisho, from the book. Dog Man, Morie, was looking to purchase an Akita called Three Good Lucks and decided he had kisho.

Extract:

........ ThreeGood Lucks that made him stand apart, aside from physical beauty and strength - things that were easy to spot. There had to be once concept that could cover all the ground, one expression that could be used to define an ideal, if only in Morie's mind. Eventually he came up with something. He decided that Three Good Lucks had kisho.

Ki means spirit. Sho means personality or disposition. Together, as Morie interprets the [Japanese] characters, these two ideas mean: vitality, good energy, good instincts, intelligence, alertness. "These inner qualities are less easy to pinpoint, but you can see them if you look carefully in a dog's eye - and study a dog's reactions to the world."

I was told about my Kisho being at a veterinary practice where the people thought he was so lovely they didn't want him to go to the pound. They had traced the owner who was more than happy to complete a change of owner form. Considering all the stray dogs that any practice would see, I thought this dog must have something special, and so he became Kisho even before I saw him.

Kisho's story: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=185303

And now back to the topic :whiteflag: - looks like I'll have to pay a visit to the video store as well.

Edited by Mother Moocher

I watched the DVD last month and howled my eyes out , A must see for everyone ;)

It's a real tear jerker for the dog lover, that's for sure. The affection of Hachi and his master was very well captured, and really engages the audience.

I watched the DVD last month and howled my eyes out , A must see for everyone ;)

Yup that's pretty much me too. :) Had not heard of the movie, just saw it at Video Ezy and grabbed it. Was very glad there was noone else there watching it with me... the tears were definitely flowing throughout. ;)

I love this story

--Lhok

I'd be interested to see the Japanese version... any idea where I might find it?

I watched it by accident on sbs one night, when I was about 15 I'll try and find some more information for you I wrote down the info somewhere.

Here's a bit of a montage I found of it on youtube:

But the Japanese movie is called: Hachiko monogatari and was made in 1987

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

I watched the DVD last month and howled my eyes out , A must see for everyone :laugh:

It's a real tear jerker for the dog lover, that's for sure. The affection of Hachi and his master was very well captured, and really engages the audience.

Cried buckets :p and I was the only female in the room :o

As was said previously, the story took a turn I wasn't expecting :(

I want to see this, I cried when I read about this dog many years ago.

I'll be terrible. Anything to do with animals and I can't hold it back. Marley and Me made me sob into my popcorn :)

In that case you will require a "box" of tissues :laugh:

I remember mentioned about this movie but the japanese version along time ago, like 2 years ago .... no one seem know about what i am talking about LOL....

the reason I mentioned about the movie cause I really like the breed. It doesn't look like typical akita breed that I normally see in Australia.

I really wanna see the Hollywood version and I love Richard Gere :rofl: