Chicken Necks

MavericksMission

(also posted in health & nutrition section)

Hi Guys :thumbsup:

Just a quick question!

Is it okay to feed dogs chicken necks everyday?

At the moment I am feeding Hector, Cup of Nutro Dry in the morning and

then 1/2 Cup of Nutro dry and 4 - 5 chicken necks for dinner.

Is this okay to feed that amount for a growing pup?

I had alot of problems getting him to eat when he first can home, now he eats really well with the above meals!

He will also get a bone every now again to replace a meal

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Yep but an even better choice is wings :thumbsup:

Ditto! They give the teeth a good workout too.

Chicken necks are a bit small for my liking, I worry that they will be swallowed whole..

(also posted in health & nutrition section)

Hi Guys :thumbsup:

Just a quick question!

Is it okay to feed dogs chicken necks everyday?

At the moment I am feeding Hector, Cup of Nutro Dry in the morning and

then 1/2 Cup of Nutro dry and 4 - 5 chicken necks for dinner.

Is this okay to feed that amount for a growing pup?

I had alot of problems getting him to eat when he first can home, now he eats really well with the above meals!

He will also get a bone every now again to replace a meal

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Mine have chicken necks every day. My male Havanese has 5 chicken necks at a time. I guess I'm lucky that the supermarket where I buy them always has BIG chicken necks so there is no way they can swallow them whole. As for wings, most of my dogs won't touch them, they prefer the chicken necks. I also give my 11 month old Schipperke bitch 4 chicken necks for dinner as she's still a growing girl. I'm sorry that I don't know what sort of dog you have so I can't comment as to whether that's a sufficient amount.

Thanks guys!

I will try the chicken wings as well, the chicken necks are pretty big from our supermarket, but he is a pretty big puppy.

He is a Koolie Cross Husky. Currently about 14 weeks old.

He does actually give the necks a bit of a chew before swallowing, and I do watch him like a hawk, just in case..

Thanks for all the advice :thumbsup: xx

My dogs love necks and wings but one girl puts weight on easily and I have to limit them - necks quite fatty and the wings of course have skin which is also fattening. Just something to watch when he's older.

Thanks guys!

I will try the chicken wings as well, the chicken necks are pretty big from our supermarket, but he is a pretty big puppy.

He is a Koolie Cross Husky. Currently about 14 weeks old.

He does actually give the necks a bit of a chew before swallowing, and I do watch him like a hawk, just in case..

Thanks for all the advice :rofl: xx

Our chicken necks are also large....I am sure wings would be great too. We feed any kind of raw bone to our dogs. mind you to a newf a turkey neck is small, :(

My poodles get a chicken neck before bed every night.

You have to introduce neck or wings slowly or else you will end up with constipation :(

My crested gets a half a chicken neck every couple of days.

He's a bit little to handle crunching them (I'm worried he would try and swallow it) so I put a freezer bag over it and smash the bone up with a meat mallet.

You can also feed a lamb rib in place of a chicken neck - get a set of lamb flaps and use your kitchen shears to separate each rib, the meat flap part can also be fed. The lamb flaps are good for putting on weight, particularly coming into the colder part of the year when the pup may need more energy.

I was just wondering if we feed wings, we have to take away the skin right?

You have a border collie puppy dont u??

if yes then no u dont need to remove the skin :) when he is a little older watch his weight and if he is looking a little chubby then try a leaner meat or remove the skin otherwise ur good to leave it on he will love it!!

• 1 month later...

ours get necks about four times a week as a whole meal

i supervise the whole meal

never leave them with any bone

mine can handle the necks big or small

evenour tiniest dog can consume two easily

all of our dogs crunch them ...theres no wolfing down

i dont know that theyre the best of bones for teeth cleaning though

but i dont have big bones around cos of the fear i have with fighting

when one of ours used to bury hers in the garden thered be a virtual minefield of trouble if any of the dogs ventured close to the hidden treasures

and unfortunately there was always a bone buried ...nothing was ever chewed and just abandoned

My pups get necks nearly everyday, just depends! I scatter them all over the lawn in my backyard, they absolutely love it!! My cats join in too! :(

My pups chew them there is defiantly no wolfing down!

I was just wondering if we feed wings, we have to take away the skin right?

Who could be bothered! You are feeding raw aren't you.

The skin is fatty so you might have to watch the dogs weight.

I actually skin the chicken wing before giving it to Charlie and Emmy :thumbsup::rofl:

At what age can you start feeding chicken necks or wings?

Both Charlie and Emmy were fed raw food even before I got them... and I got them when they were 8 weeks old.