Grooming A Stafforshire Bull Terrier For Showing

Loves Dogs

Hi There, I have just bought my first show dog ( staffordshire bullterrier)and have started showing in the local area. I was just wondering if there are any specific things I should be doing to my boy before a show? I have a few questions. He is a deep solid blue but as he is getting older I have noticed the ends of each strand of hair are fading to a sort of silvery chocolate (it looks as though each hair has become dry and worn at the ends)Is this old hair? Should I be using a stripping comb? Also I have been using pink shampoo is this correct? and is there any other tricks you recommend? Thanks for the support. I find it hard to walk up to other stafford breeders at the show because I dont want to sound like Im stealing there secrets and then beating their dogs. I also have 3 yr old female that is black brindal and white but she always looks shiny and beautiful.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a blue an a white that i show the white has to be bathed cause most of the time she's brown but i don't even bother bathing my blue boy he gets bathed when he smells. And he gets no special prep before a show at all nether does the white one apart from a bath

you could also try a different shampoo... different shampoos work for different dogs, just like humans...

I wash my weimaraner (silver) in a shampoo that is supposed to highlight whites, greys and silvers... it isnt a blue or purple shampoo though...

Also not sure about blues but in dilute browns (silver) as well as browns/livers, they can sunbleach... if your dog likes to sunbake either prevent from doing it too often or look for a product which contains sunscreen (I htink Plushpuppy sells one in the form of a coat conditioning spray)