Another What Breed For Me...

Freshstart16

I think you should buy a toy if you want something to cuddle because you might just be dissapointed if your dog does not turn out cuddly. :laugh:

If yo go for a working or gundog breed make sure you carefully research the lines, my Chesapeake is from dual lines (though almost all Chessies are) and it shows already, he is way to full on for the 'average' owner and definately NOTHING like a show retriever.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should buy a toy if you want something to cuddle because you might just be dissapointed if your dog does not turn out cuddly. :laugh:

If you get an adult dog instead of a pup you can get one as cuddly as you want. Just have to go around cuddle testing them. :)

If you get an adult dog instead of a pup you can get one as cuddly as you want. Just have to go around cuddle testing them. :)

Good point Greymate. :)

I am biased too, and I think someone already said it.... a Dogue de Bordeaux.

My big boy is soooooooooo sweet, calm, attentive.....will follow me anywhere and sit at my feet.......one of the reasons I chose this breed is because they are lazy. Hyper dogs give me a headache :0) He's a bit stubborn but he knows he should do what I say and 99% of the time he does. I just read up on the way to be the pack leader and whatever, it's pretty easy once you know how. Everyone thinks he's my brothers dog or my boyfriends dog......hahahahahaha.

I understand that he is a large animal and respect that, he respects that I know best. (and know where the food is!!!)

and the drool thing is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy exaggerated. it's actually cute to wipe their face after a drink when they are puppies hehehe. anyway, good luck with everything. I think Danes are awesome too but a little too big for me.

You could also do this the other way around - make a very detailed list of what your perfect dog is (no look at or going by breeds). Once you have that, pick out those qualities it absolutely has to have, and those that would be nice to have.

Then go look at your breeds and see which sound as though they meet most of your list - then go meet them and their breeders.

If I'd gone by breed when deciding what I was going to get, I would never have wound up with an Irish Terrier. It turns out that they suit me down to the ground, and meet all my needs and requirements. When I found a breeder, she was happy for me to come meet her dogs to see if I liked them as much in real life, as they sounded on paper.

ChristineX

also you dont need to wash them as they are a clean dog and have a special oil in their coat that acts like a scotch guard effect which is why they say you shouldnt wash them more than a couple times a year as it depletes their natural oil.

Beg to differ nothing worse than a mal that hasnt been bathed .they stink something chronic.

I remember in the show ring many moons ago a few select mal exhibitors who didnt bath & the dogs where sent out & those unlucky to be set up next to them having to put up with ahorrid smell.

We boarded a Mal that hadnt been bathed & smelt like undried dirty washing ,awful smell.

Show mals are bathed weekly so the oils part has nothing to do with it BUT often there is alot of dog & people dont wish to dry them especially in winter so they get wet & stay damp stinkies

I remember grooming a very big long haired Malamute who could be a bit cranky when being brushed - always smelled damp and not pleasant. Took a long time to do as well.

They can be quite dominant and large - if you are not confident in handling a large, potentially pushy temperamented dog there are many on our list you should avoid.

also you dont need to wash them as they are a clean dog and have a special oil in their coat that acts like a scotch guard effect which is why they say you shouldnt wash them more than a couple times a year as it depletes their natural oil.

Beg to differ nothing worse than a mal that hasnt been bathed .they stink something chronic.

I remember in the show ring many moons ago a few select mal exhibitors who didnt bath & the dogs where sent out & those unlucky to be set up next to them having to put up with ahorrid smell.

We boarded a Mal that hadnt been bathed & smelt like undried dirty washing ,awful smell.

Show mals are bathed weekly so the oils part has nothing to do with it BUT often there is alot of dog & people dont wish to dry them especially in winter so they get wet & stay damp stinkies

Totally agree, when I was mobile grooming I managed to talk a few Mal and Sibe people that beleived the less washing the better theory into getting their dogs washed more reguarly and they were more than pleased with the results most became fans of fortnighty washs and their coats never suffered, infact they had never looked better!!! :laugh:

if i were a novice or even considering a breed ive never had id go and sit in a dog park for while...a few times

and definitely got to a dog obedience place...a nice sunday arvo spent

or evening class

just sit and then talk to owners

as for breeds

affectionate breeds also include the collie rough...lassie

yep theres coat but the loyalty is boundless

i think the intelligent dogs are pretty good for novices so id explore the white gsds if you like them

the worst thing for a novice is dog aggressive dogs

so hard to handle

goldies are nice...for sure..lots of shedding though

but definitely a good starter dog

hungarian vizslas are known to be velcro dogs...have heard only good things from owners but they are gun dogs and some people say they can be hard to train

depends on how submissive and biddable the individual pup is i guess

the only thing that i dont like about them is they come in just the one colour and i like markings

samoyeds are nice dogs...lots of coat tho...but good allrounders...good with people and dogs

id avoid staffies of any sort as a beginner

tough to train..lovable for sure but very strong and can be stubborn

I agree with everyone else that alot will depend on how much you put yourself out there to learn how to be a good dog owner rather than the dog being good for a first time owner!

My first dog was a kelpie, I have 4 now and then got a Finnish Lapphund who has been more work than the kelpies combined (destructo pup!) but is gorgeous to train. So ultimatly I think regardless of what breed you get you will have challenges!

I think greys are gorgeous and would be a great breed for anyone who was wanting to ease into dog ownership! A Dane needs a fair amount of early training- it always amazes me when I see them around how easily they work for their owner. I had the chance to meet one that was untrained and I can see why they put so much training in as puppies!

I really wouldnt suggest a leo as a first time dog. I would actually call them quite energetic! I really enjoy spending time with them but perhaps not where the OP is going!

Good luck! Its fun to look/dream about all the different breeds- I hope you find the right dog for you when you are ready!!

I wouldn't recommend a Vizsla for a first time dog owner. Like all breeds, with an individual dog and a individual person, it could be done, but I really wouldn't recommend it myself.

And in this situation - no. They are incredibly high energy, both mentally and physically.

Maybe a Smooth haired Collie if you amp up the exercise requirements. Otherwise a Greyhound if you want a 'lounge lizard'.

I met a Tibetan Terrier not long ago. I was really taken with her. What a fun, athletic little dog. Very outgoing but not very terrier-like.

Because they are not true terriers, simply the name they were given, nothing to do with their purpose.

as for breeds

affectionate breeds also include the collie rough...lassie

yep theres coat but the loyalty is boundless

You do know they come in a smooth coat don't you? :) As NZVizsla said, SMOOTH collies may be suitable.

Have to agree, the worst smelling dogs I have ever come across have been mals that are not washed enough. A different smell to just dirty dog, a rotting smell.

does the OP have a chi or two looking at your sig :laugh:

I would be careful to get a giant breed with such a small breed as I think your Chis could get hurt accidentally - just something to think about.

Danes are not particularly sensible puppies :laugh:

As for Danes bloat is only one aspect of a myriad of health problems they get. I would suggest you look into all of them before you make a decision. Certain lines are riddled with allergy problems and the breed is also prone to HD, DCM, and thyroid problems etc.

It is also no easy thing to find an ethical Dane breeder... one that does all the health tests and is honest about problems in there lines.

Having said that my Dane was the dog love of my life and I can't imagine ever loving another dog as much as I love him, and I only had him for just over a year.

He crossed the bridge just over six months ago and I still think about him all day. He was so loving and so perfect with my kids, and he loved nothing better than to be with you. He had this gentle and optimistic spirit in which he loved every living thing (on walks he loved to 'visit' the cows and horses, and say hello to all the cats). Although when he became quite sick he did suffer badly from anxiety.

Ok lets spin this around a little, out of all the dog breeds, large and small no matter what they are......which is the best companion dog?? and not crazy high energy???

ok I know I suggested greyhound before but didn't elaborate - here is my experience... I grew up with working kelpies, we lived in a semi-rural area so that was fine, but as mum was a member of the working kelpie council I heard a lot about people who tried to keep kelpies as suburban pets without adequate exercise/stimulation and the problems that could arise... the first dog I ever owned myself was a papered long haired chi... i was 16 and fell in love with the tiny ball of fluff... but he actually thought he was a kelpie :laugh: As an adult I have owned JRTs, an Irish Wolfhound, a couple of cross-breed rescues, and now greyhounds and a whippet. I have also rescued dogs for somewhere around 6 years now and have fostered many cross breeds (around 60 odd) and several greyhounds (about a dozen). I have also researched different breeds and spent a bit of time hanging out at dog shows and talking to people about their dogs (just because I like doing it :laugh: )

If you ask ME which breed I think is the best companion dog, I would say greyhound hands down. I will ALWAYS own a greyhound. They suit ME to a tee. Affectionate, friendly dogs, low exercise requirements, minimal grooming, no doggy smell, very clean in their habits and most come already house-trained (it just seems to be a natural thing with them), easy to get along with in that they don't tend to be 'naughty' dogs and just fit in with my lifestyle perfectly. Anyway, hope that helps, enjoy your journey of discovery, get out and meet all sorts of breeds, talk to people about their dogs, and eventually you will find the one that suits you :rofl:

ETA if you want a dog that is a little smaller than a greyhound, a little more energetic, a little more mischievious, but completely adorable, try a whippet :)

Edited by Daisy

Thanks for all your help guys :D

I have so much to think about, I have been researching greyhounds and have found alot of things about them that I no idea, for one that they are lazy :(

I just figured because they are a race dog they would be high energy but quite the opposite. We do have two chi x JRTs but we wont be getting another dog until they are not around anymore, well at least one anyway, OH says two dogs is enough :(

I have so much to think about, I have been researching greyhounds and have found alot of things about them that I no idea, for one that they are lazy :(

This seems like a pretty common misconception about the breed!

Edited by Lyndsay