What To Do?!?!?

W Sibs

Breeder 1:

Have met and talked to her. Very lovely by answering all my questions about the breed. Met her dogs. Really want one of her dogs... they are simply gorgeous, but could be waiting for a while for a pup. We said that we will wait. She can't guarantee a pup (which is totally understandable) because no one knows how many pup is in a litter and not even sure if her current female dog is pregnant (we find out in about 3 or 4 weeks?).

Breeder 2:

The boyfriend was looking at puppy listing on DOL and found another breeder, and talked me into giving her a call (we called her on Easter break). We just clicked on the phone (we talked on the phone for about an hour :laugh:). Lives in Vic (but the boyfriend and I don't have a problem travelling far for the next member of our family). Has a pup that sounds absolutely perfect for our little family now. We can go down and see the parents and puppy on Anzac long weekend and if everyone is happy, we can bring her home with us (the puppy is currently 7 weeks now).

So, what to do? Go with Breeder 1 or Breeder 2?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask about the guarantees the breeders offer on the pups, if you haven't already, that may influence your final decision.

Ask if you can speak to owners of their puppies and see what they thought of their puppies and how the breeder handled any problems that cropped up.

Edited by SBT123

Breeder 1:

Have met and talked to her. Very lovely by answering all my questions about the breed. Met her dogs. Really want one of her dogs... they are simply gorgeous, but could be waiting for a while for a pup. We said that we will wait. She can't guarantee a pup (which is totally understandable) because no one knows how many pup is in a litter and not even sure if her current female dog is pregnant (we find out in about 3 or 4 weeks?).

Breeder 2:

The boyfriend was looking at puppy listing on DOL and found another breeder, and talked me into giving her a call (we called her on Easter break). We just clicked on the phone (we talked on the phone for about an hour :laugh:). Lives in Vic (but the boyfriend and I don't have a problem travelling far for the next member of our family). Has a pup that sounds absolutely perfect for our little family now. We can go down and see the parents and puppy on Anzac long weekend and if everyone is happy, we can bring her home with us (the puppy is currently 7 weeks now).

Are both breeders legitamate??? Health check etc etc...

How much do you want one of the Breeder 1's pups?

Once you go to breeder 2 if your like me you WILL DEFINATLEY bring the pup home?

Are you in a rush for the pup?

I guess it comes down to whether or not you want a dog in just over one weeks time or if you'd prefer to wait a little longer. If you're happy with both the breeders and they check all your criteria boxes (along with their dogs) then it just comes down to timing...

If you are happy with breeders and feel you are ready for a dog next week then by all means go down and visit on the long weekend, if you're not happy for whatever reason you come home minus a puppy.

Without offending, I don't think it's rocket science, go with your gut, worst case scenario - you'll waste petrol money :laugh:

Edited by Aziah

Are both breeders legitamate??? Health check etc etc...

How much do you want one of the Breeder 1's pups?

Once you go to breeder 2 if your like me you WILL DEFINATLEY bring the pup home?

Are you in a rush for the pup?

They are both legit breeders. I've research them both and also talked to people who know them :rofl:

I've been ready for a pup for a while, and the boyfriend is on board about getting another pup too for a while now. We have been looking for a while now too. We both feel that Charlie is strong enough now for a sibling.

If I didn't have Charlie, I will definitely bring the pup home!! :rofl::laugh: But, I know that if the puppy isn't right for Charlie, then I can walk away. I gotta think about my little fella and his needs, before my wants.

Without offending, I don't think it's rocket science, go with your gut, worst case scenario - you'll waste petrol money :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: so true

Ask about the guarantees the breeders offer on the pups, if you haven't already, that may influence your final decision.

Ask if you can speak to owners of their puppies and see what they thought of their puppies and how the breeder handled any problems that cropped up.

Both of them are really great and have been nothing but helpful and honest.

the part in the bold - I can do that?!

If I didn't have Charlie, I will definitely bring the pup home!! embarrass.gif laugh.gif But, I know that if the puppy isn't right for Charlie, then I can walk away. I gotta think about my little fella and his needs, before my wants.

This will be the same issue with the other breeder so it really comes down to what is holding you back.

[just cos I'm curious]

What breed are you looking at CW????

Japanese Spitz!

I've totally fallen for this breed!

I hope you're thinking about agility for your dog.. they have the aptitude!

And I hope you like light colour clothes and have a great vacuum cleaner :laugh:

[just cos I'm curious]

What breed are you looking at CW????

Japanese Spitz!

I've totally fallen for this breed!

I hope you're thinking about agility for your dog.. they have the aptitude!

And I hope you like light colour clothes and have a great vacuum cleaner :laugh:

Agility and Flyball, are definitely on the cards. Either one or both.

I'm going to do a NDTF course that starts in August.. so, hopefully, I get a pup before then and use him/her as my demo dog too! (I won't be able to use Charlie)

Dyson - check

Befriend with the local groomer - check

Woohoo... good excuses for clothes shopping!!!

:thumbsup:

Edited by charleswentworth

I was in the same boat. I had found quite a few breeders, I contacted them all, and only half got back to me. Out of those I found some weren't mating in the near future, and some had just mated, I was on the list for a puppy when along came a lady I had already contacted who had kept 2 puppies (1 male and 1 female) to show, and she decided to keep the boy, so I was offered the girl. I chose Zoe as she was right there, I had checked out the breeder, like I did all the others, and she is great.

I am very happy with my quicker than expected pup :laugh:

I'd go for Breeder 2, as you won't know for a while whether Breeder 1's dog is even pregnant, has a puppy that will be available, just too many what ifs.....Breeder 2 has a puppy NOW so why not go for that one. You know for sure its there.....and I know you'll be bringing the puppy home :thumbsup:

BF

Go and meet breeder 2's puppy - if it isn't going to be the right pup for you and Charlie, then you can wait and see with breeder 1.

If breeder 2's puppy is perfect, then why would you wait? :laugh:

Oh... and we'll need photos! Japanese spitz puppies are devine!!

I'd go breeder 2.

If both are equal as legit as eachother, the fact that you 'clicked' with breeder 2 will be beneficial for you if you ever needed advice etc. Even though breeder 1 sounds lovely too.. i think friendship/clicking is definitely a great bonus! If you really are happy to travel, I'd chose breeder 2 :laugh:

Sounds serendipitous to me :thumbsup: The 2nd breeder has the puppy available and you don't know if the first breeder will have a dog for you in the near future.

Breeder 1:

Breeder 2:

I'd go breeder 2.

If both are equal as legit as eachother, the fact that you 'clicked' with breeder 2 will be beneficial for you if you ever needed advice etc. Even though breeder 1 sounds lovely too.. i think friendship/clicking is definitely a great bonus! If you really are happy to travel, I'd chose breeder 2 :laugh:

+1

If you clicked with breeder 2 there is no harm in at least going down and meeting the pup, if pup is perfect then great!

If not you can always wait for breeder 1 to have a litter