Advice On My Next Camera Please

lic_82

Hello knowledgable photo taking Dolers :)

Im starting to do some research into my next camera. My current camera is a Sony A200. But I'm thinking about doing a few courses & learning more about photography.

My sister got married on the weekend & she had the most lovely photographer with an equally lovely 5D MkII. She complimented me on the portraits I had taken for the wedding handouts, signature board & thank you's which I was stoked about :laugh:

Anyway I'd like some recomendations for my next camera, given my current camera is a very basic entry level camera, what should I look at? I have a friend who has just bought a 50D & really likes it & suggested I look at it as an option?

I look forward to everyones feedback

Lic :)

I have a Canon 40D which I love.

It might help if you post your price range and what you will be mostly taking photos of? (besides dogs of course!)

I dont really know enough about other cameras so I'll let one of the experts take it from here!

Price isnt a huge issue but I guess I was thinking around $5000ish

Im interested in landscape & portrait photography (people & pooches :D ). Id like to go to either a canon or nikon for greater range of options in lenses & accessories.

You could get some serious camera and lenses for that. Have a look on POTN, the Canon enthusiasts forum and see the sort of pics people are taking, or have a look on flickr too, you can search by camera there to see photos.

when you say you are interested in people and landscapes, I gather you mean from a business point of view - don't forget you will also then need to invest in some glass to go with the body, you don't want to spend a great amount on a body, then not to be able to afford good glass to go onto it. I shoot with a 5DII, an have invested about $6000 in lens for that, on top of the body (which was $3800) - and shoot portraits, both people and pets for a living. but if I was just doing it as a hobby, would not go that expensive on the body, would think more a 50D

Im not looking from a business point of view. Id just like a good camera that I can learn more about my photography with that I wont be too limited by. I did an introductry course with my sony & I was the only person with a sony & the instructor kept having to work things out on my camera because it was different to everyone elses & he'd never seen one before.

I did mean $5,000ish, but i would be looking to buy a lense or two with a body.

I will check out those others sites now Krislin :rofl:

Thanks so much for the input & advice :eek:

Maybe go for something that isn't quite so expensive for you as an entry level DSLR... Canon 350D or even the 500D are great for getting used to using a DSLR.

Just reading your other thread so figured that $5000 would be rather ridiculous amount for a professional level camera when you're used to using a point and shoot (and not a professional photographer).

Agree with Cordelia - the 1000D or 500/550D would be the way to learn and nowhere near the expense of the professional ones. Due to one defective new camera and one 40D that went for repairs I only have a 350D left for taking pics of horse sports. It got the job done today - didnt have the luxury of the extra features the 40/50D range do but did everything someone learning as a hobby could want (eg are you going to go out in dark stormy weather to take pics? DO you need 6.5 frames per second instead of 3 frames per second? DO you need file sizes that enable you to print jpegs the size of a wall? DO you need a camera that is weatherproofed - ie do you take cameras out in the rain? If not the cheaper cameras are all you really need to learn. Yes the four things mentioned are the main things I have noticed using the 350D instead of the 40D.

5d Mark II has alot of focussing issues. If you're starting from scratch I would either wait until the MarkIII becomes available (hopefully with a better focussing system) or look at the 7D or look at Nikon.

Now I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a little bit.

I have been asked for opinions on photos when I'm out an about shooting at weddings and do you really think I'm going to say to a guest, "Your photos are horrible"? And yes, to make conversation I have said to people, "Oh, that's your photo on the board/placecards etc. Nice shot." Yes, it might be a little white lie but you can bet that they love me after that (and it IS all about business after all and I'm out there for the love and referrals.)

I haven't looked at your photos so I don't know if they are good or bad, but all I'm saying is, take it with a grain of salt. For all you know the photographer may not be all that crash hot either, there are plenty of wannabes entering the market now that cameras are becoming more affordable and to that photographer, you could be awesome! If you want real opinions on your images, email me and I can give you names of unbiased people who will offer an opinion. These are the sort of people who love mentoring talented newbies but they will also be honest if they don't think you have the talent.

As an aside though, I don't go into off topics all that much but I do have a brief scan every now and then... weren't you saying a few days ago that you rely on your ex's child support to make ends meet?? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Couldn't be bothered heading back to look.

Anyway, let me know if you want those email addresses. I'm sure they'd be happy to look over your work before you spend a small fortune upgrading your gear.

ETA: didn't see this thread when it was first posted. I really need to pay more attention. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ashanali

I wouldn't be going in and blowing the whole $5000 when you're just starting out. If you really can afford that much but are still relatively inexperienced with a DSLR buy a good entry level now with good IS kit lenses and put the remainder of the money in an interest bearing account for when you feel ready to add to your lenses or upgrade your camera, which you might even find you dont need to do. Mavericks misson just bought a really good kit from JB look here.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=194411

Hang on a minute, I've just realised you've posted in the 50mm thread, does that mean you've already got your camera?? If so come on fess up, what did you get?

Edited by Kirislin

Maybe go for something that isn't quite so expensive for you as an entry level DSLR... Canon 350D or even the 500D are great for getting used to using a DSLR.

Just reading your other thread so figured that $5000 would be rather ridiculous amount for a professional level camera when you're used to using a point and shoot (and not a professional photographer).

Im not sure what other thread you were reading? :rofl:

My current camera is a Sony A200 DSLR. I've had it for nearly 2 years.

5d Mark II has alot of focussing issues. If you're starting from scratch I would either wait until the MarkIII becomes available (hopefully with a better focussing system) or look at the 7D or look at Nikon.

Now I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a little bit.

I have been asked for opinions on photos when I'm out an about shooting at weddings and do you really think I'm going to say to a guest, "Your photos are horrible"? And yes, to make conversation I have said to people, "Oh, that's your photo on the board/placecards etc. Nice shot." Yes, it might be a little white lie but you can bet that they love me after that (and it IS all about business after all and I'm out there for the love and referrals.)

I haven't looked at your photos so I don't know if they are good or bad, but all I'm saying is, take it with a grain of salt. For all you know the photographer may not be all that crash hot either, there are plenty of wannabes entering the market now that cameras are becoming more affordable and to that photographer, you could be awesome! If you want real opinions on your images, email me and I can give you names of unbiased people who will offer an opinion. These are the sort of people who love mentoring talented newbies but they will also be honest if they don't think you have the talent.

As an aside though, I don't go into off topics all that much but I do have a brief scan every now and then... weren't you saying a few days ago that you rely on your ex's child support to make ends meet?? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Couldn't be bothered heading back to look.

Anyway, let me know if you want those email addresses. I'm sure they'd be happy to look over your work before you spend a small fortune upgrading your gear.

ETA: didn't see this thread when it was first posted. I really need to pay more attention. :cheer:

Based on the research Ive done Im tossing up between the 50D and the 7D.

The photographer asked my sister who had taken the portraits and then asked me if I had considered doing a course and looking further into photography, she said that my portraits were good. I would like to do a course at some stage, possibly next year. I am not looking to start a business or pretend to be something Im not. I am clueless about editing and am eager to learn more. I will email you for those addresses. An honest opinion would be great.

That was my thread in off topic you are referring to. I am looking at buying the camera towards the end of the year, once I have everything else sorted.

I wouldn't be going in and blowing the whole $5000 when you're just starting out. If you really can afford that much but are still relatively inexperienced with a DSLR buy a good entry level now with good IS kit lenses and put the remainder of the money in an interest bearing account for when you feel ready to add to your lenses or upgrade your camera, which you might even find you dont need to do. Mavericks misson just bought a really good kit from JB look here.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=194411

Hang on a minute, I've just realised you've posted in the 50mm thread, does that mean you've already got your camera?? If so come on fess up, what did you get?

:cheer: I have the 50mm 1.8 for my Sony.

Thanks to everyone for their opinions

Edited by lic_82

I was and am also a beginner and started with the Sony A350. I have since upgraded that to the Sony A700. I have done two short tafe courses and a one day work shop so have just touched on the tip of the ice burg.

Unlike your experience my teacher had a Sony camera so I didn't get to bagged out about having a Sony.

Most people in the class did have Canon so I was out numbered apart from the teacher.

I was told Canon have image stabliser in the lenses and Sony has it in the body so the lenses are cheaper with the Sony.

I have a Carl Zeiss lens as my main lens and am happy with the majority of photos I take. People always seem to stay clear of Sony and rely mainly on Canon and nikon but I am happy with my Sony. My camera is only used to take photos of my animals, grand kids and car shows.

A $5000 budget is a great place to start, good luck in your search.

Thanks for your input Mish :)

How do you find the A700?

My only problem is the auto focus doesn't seem to work properly but its most likely the operator. ;) Also I take a lot of photos that are too dark again its most likely me. I would so love to wake up one day and just be an awesome photographer, I get confused about what lens to use and what Aperture setting I should be on.

On a couple of photo web sites I go on they talk pretty highly about the A700.

With IS - yes it is in the lens but you can turn it off. At the moment I have mine off since I can hold the camera steady enough for 1/1000th when panning with horses going by (and I dont want to overtax the little 350D - it nearly freaked with the 4gb card I briefly had in it before realising it was too big and quick swtcih back to the 2gb)